Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctnewbie2009

Soapstone question: how many different varitions are there?

ctnewbie2009
15 years ago

would dorado have a different selection than Philly Soapstone or Garden State? I tend to like the lighter greys over the green...how do I find the right place that has the right choice? Also, if I like it light, can I just not oil it, or, does the stone need the oil for maintenance reasons?

Any other places to recommend in Fairfield County, CT for soapstone? Thanks.

Comments (7)

• sporthill
    15 years ago

I am in CT and about to order from Central New England Soapstone from Mass. They have a very pretty light gray called Minas, from Dorado. There are lots of pictures on the Dorado website, comparing oiled and not.

• ctnewbie2009
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks so much! I'm going to check them out. did you have to go all the way up to Mass to see it? How come you didn't order directly from dorado? Also, how much per sqft was it?

• danielle00
    15 years ago

You do not have to oil soapstone.

Ice Flower is a variety that is on the grey end of the spectrum. We got Original PA (not installed yet). That is grey as well, but becomes very dark when you oil it. Ice Flower seems to keep more of its grey-ness even when it is oiled.

• ctnewbie2009
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks so much; I will go look.

• sw_in_austin
    15 years ago

Go look at the M. Texeira website (URL below) if you want to see pictures of a wide range of soapstone types. M Tex ships nationwide if you're interested. Also there's a location of Dorado Soapstone in Austin. When we bought our soapstone from them last summer they carried two varieties: Beleza (which we used) and Minas. Dorado may have pictures on its website as well. Google Dorado Soapstone.

Here is a link that might be useful: M Texiera Soapstone

• marthavila
    15 years ago

Can't recommend any soapstone places in Fairfield County to you but I do know that Garden State is the northeast representative for Dorado. IOW, when you're calling Garden State you are, in effect, also calling Dorado. So, yes, he has Minas. Btw, Jay installed my soapstone countertops, is a great guy and I highly recommend him. And, yes, he will travel to Connecticut.

• growlery
    15 years ago

I think the place with the most types I've seen is M. Texeira. They also fabricate, but you need to check if you job meets their size and range requirements. (My project did not.)

They'll sell and fabricate all over though. Their site has lots of pictures and is pretty thorough.

But you only need to find one you like. And most soapstone is gray. So your choices tend to be gray, black, blacker, grayer, gray green, gray with gray-green ...

I'm sort of kidding, but in the end, it all comes down to the individual slab, I think.

I think Central Ne. and the Mass. Dorado are interrelated companies. Most of the people who work for both them have the same last name. They will e-mail you a photo of representative slabs, oiled and unoiled if you tell them what you're looking for. You can choose to go up or not.

They offer several solid choices on their Web site, and come very highly recommended here.