Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amazingcm

My method of organizing

amazingcm
17 years ago

These baskets are my projects

I put everything I need for that project in the basket some times it flows over and sometimes it takes two baskets. But usually they can still stack..

I have 10 baskets and when they are all full I can't start a new project. So I have to empty a basket first.. If I have an empty basket I can start a new project.. HAHA

When I have time to work on a project I just get out a basket to work on and when I am done I put everything back in that basket.. Most of the projects are quilt related some are not...

I got those baskets at the dollar store and I love them...

grace with 3 empty baskets but not for long...

Comments (19)

• scraphappy
    17 years ago

I like those - nice too that they are different colors, too. (Sharon - who has no empty baskets)

• sue7972
    17 years ago

That's a great idea. I've been using big ziplocks filed in a crate. Not working too well...but I am in the process of taking two of my old kitchen cabinets and turning them into a cutting table. I will be reorganizing once that is finished. I love the dollar store, I'll have to make a little trip by there this week. Thanks for sharing.

• boxersandkoi
    17 years ago

Can I ask about your cutting mat, it looks large? I'm looking for something larger than I can find in the stores. Just wondering what you've got there in the photo.

Cute baskets too!

• laurainsdca
    17 years ago

That is a great idea. I have things overflowing everywhere and merging into each other. I try to keep them separated with boxes and bags, but it would be much easier with stacking baskets.

• marcia_m
    17 years ago

I like that idea. I'm going to look at the $$ store soon. I have ordered at least one piece of fabric for 3 different projects, but haven't cut a single square yet ('cause I'm a non-quilter who hasn't gotten up the courage yet!) But I think I will buy only 4 baskets...maybe I can limit myself from buying any other pieces before I begin my first quilt.
    Marcia

• mexicomarti
    17 years ago

I use these flat cracker cartons that contained saltines which we buy at Sams. They are just about the size of Grace's baskets, but not nearly so pretty.

Marti in Mexico

• colleenny
    17 years ago

Amy, I really like those baskets. Where do you buy them? Colleen

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

Well Marti,i'm surprised you havn't prettied those boxes up yet,with your crafty self.LOL Seriously get out those old magazines,some white glue that dries clear and make those boxes pretty by decoupaging them.

Those baskets are a great idea and i see them all the time in the dollar store and just pass them by.

I've been using the 2 gallon zip locs,or the bags the newspaper comes in if it's a small project.But they're so slippery,i really like the basket idea.
    TFS
    Kathi

• biwako_of_abi
    17 years ago

Interesting idea. I have always gone for containers with covers or lids, but I can see the advantage of baskets now, since you can stack up more of them, if it happens that there isn't a lot in each one. My clear plastic containers are going to take up the same amount of space whether they are full or not. Think I'll find some baskets to hold the pieces for my next project.

• scraphappy
    17 years ago

I might try the baskets too, maybe for the current project that I always just have on top of my cutting table - (but it will probably just become another bed for the cat!) I like them for the fact that they are pretty.

• glassquilt
    17 years ago

I was able to save the part of my stash that was in Rubbermaid boxes with tight lids. Anything in a box with loose lids was lost - the stuff inside got smoky. So in the rare instance where oder might be a concern, tight lids are good.

• roobee
    17 years ago

I just came back from Wally World with ten plastic containers with the same thought in mind. I have to get organized but like someone said they will probably be just another bed for my cats.
    If we didnt have so many projects going we would'nt need all these containers but then what fun would that be.

• meginfl
    17 years ago

Great Idea! Thanks so much for posting it. I stopped on the way home and got some for me too!

Simple, inexpensive and compact.

MEG

• maggie_sue
    17 years ago

I really like that idea, will have to look for some cute baskets like yours. Have never seen them at our dollar store, however I may have not noticed. Will take a look.

• jenn
    17 years ago

Excellent idea!! I can decide the # of projects I can handle at one time, and buy that many baskets. When they are full, no more projects. And I also like how each basket contains all the items needed for that project, so you don't have to go hunting and round them up each time.

• laurainsdca
    17 years ago

Grace,

I looked this thread up just to let you know that your post has improved my life! LOL. I have struggled with organization all my life. (OK, Let's be honest, I ignore it and those around me struggle.)

Anyhow, I never forgot your stacking baskets 'cause I have containers of all shapes and sizes strewn all over my sewing room. So I kept an eye out and the other day I got a bunch of stacking boxes very inexpensive from Big Lots.

Mine are seethough plastic and have lids with grooves in them where the bottom of the next box fits right in the groove. You can stack them quite high and they are totally stable.

I got two sizes and they are AWESOME and I am THRILLED to have my ongoing projects neatly stacked where I can get in and out of them without digging through piles of cr@p!

So thanks for the great idea!!!

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

I also got some of them at the dollar store.I use some here in the sewing room and others i used to organize stuff under the bathroom sink.How much neater it looks than the cardboard boxes i did have there.

So thanks for leading us to these!!
    Kathi

• quiltdiva
    17 years ago

Grace, I love that idea! I hadn't thought of that and I usually just pile the project onto the spare bedroom bed when I'm finished for the day to keep the cats from climbing on it. That room is off limits to all furbabies and is where I keep my stash. Of course, it's like moving out when company is coming. LOL! Right now I have a kitty curled up on a newspaper section I threw up on my cutting table to save. Nothing is sacred around here if there's access. I'm putting a mental flag on your great idea. TFS!

Kay

• maryliz
    16 years ago

Those little baskets sure look handy. I did the same thing, with the wide, shallow boxes that hold grocery items on the shelves. They're not all the same size, which makes them less stackable, but also more flexible when some of the projects need more room.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional