Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misa_gw

Please help with choosing a good pink for DD room.

misa
15 years ago

Need help, desperately.... My DD has chosen pink as her room color, her choices are BM 2086-60 Sweet Taffy or 2001-60 Country Pink. Her bedding is from Bed/Bath/Beyond, Rhianna designe by Roxy hotpink/chocolate. ...I tried to copy the picture?? Maybe the link below will help? The brown side of the comforter will be on top and be seen, the pink is just too much for my eyes. I cannot figure out which pink paint to go with....it's sooo hard! I already talked her to go down one more hue. Please help pick the correct pink or suggest one if you've had experience with this color.... I'm ready to pull out my hair and BM store does not have samples. She is close to 10 and will be this room color for a while.... THANK YOU.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=113629&RN=31

Here is a link that might be useful: bed bath beyond

Comments (8)

• User
    15 years ago

I'm sorry, I'm not a designer and don't have much experience with pink, but I'd be afraid that with all pink walls the room would look too much like Pepto Bismol. This is probably why you're having such a problem finding a pink that works. What you can do instead though is to put chair rail around the room and paint just the bottom half the brighter pink and the upper half a soft white. To make it fun, and incorporate the chocolate, you could trace some of the different squares from the bedding and paint them on the walls (in brown tones). Not a lot of them, just a few peppered evenly on each wall. For a more whimsical chair rail you can use something like this, which is what we used in a bright and cheery room we painted for an office. (I wanted something to keep me alert and it really does!) We got this for less than a dollar a foot @ Home Depot and they have several different styles to choose from. I'd paint it either white or the chocolate brown. Even if you don't like the idea of putting the comforter design on the walls, I would still recommend just putting the pink on the lower half of the room. I can see it in my mind and it's adorable! Oh well, hope that helps!

{{gwi:1540597}}

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

I am wondering if you used a pale pink that has a brown undertone In it: You would have to look at the swatches with it.

They might look ok, they might look awful in person. There is a taupey quality to some of them that is pink/brown.

Odessa Pink
    Queen Anne Pink
    Ballerina Pink
    Pale Cherry Blossom

• rtmom2
    15 years ago

I just looked up your colors and bedding. I to have a 10 yr old DD w/ pink walls. She has had this since 3, we may change because time for a new paint job. We have changed her bedding a number of times, but I have made sure it alsways matched those walls. She also has a good area rug that is mostly dark purple w/ green, biege and blue in it. Pink can be a hard color to work w/, you don't want it to be to babyish (especially at this age), and you don't want it to be so "pepto Bismal" looking and you also don't want it to be to bright. My daughters pink has a strie (fine brush lines, a faux finish) of pearlescent running through it. In your color choices you may want to try a thin line of chocolate going vertically, varing the width and distance between each line. I know this can be more work for the painter (in our house us, but mostly DH). My DH hates when I come up w/ more ideas. Good luck. By the way what color furniture does your DD have. My DD has natural, and we are looking for a desk now which has been hard to find something femine. Talked about the black finish to a piece, but she hates it. We are looking at a piece that is white w/ a cherry top. When all done w/ furniture will next move on to paint. By the way according to my screen I do prefere country pink. Keep us informed, curious to see what you do.

• awm03
    15 years ago

House Beautiful ran an article last winter on decorators' favorite shades of pink. Many of them were beautiful and sophisticated. Made me want a pink room!

Here is a link that might be useful: House Beautiful pinks

• ummm
    15 years ago

here are some more pink rooms!

Here is a link that might be useful: pink room pics

• pooks1976
    15 years ago

First I am not one of the great decorators on this board. These ladies are amazing, but here is my opinion anyway.

My experience with pink is that picking a good pink is similar to picking a good yellow. You have to go much lighter than you think to get the desired effect. What looks subtle on the chip, looks crazy when it is put on 4 walls.

I painted my 6 year old DD's room over Christmas break and the first coat was really too pink on the walls. I mixed a gallon of the pink with a gallon of white and got a color that worked.

I really like how it turned out, though I am not finished with the room yet. It is so cheery and happy. And I tried pretty hard to talk her out of pink without success.

• misa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Room is painted. We ended up picking BM Just Peachy, which came out great! Nice pale pink, not too nursery, not too hot pink. The room has a nice "glow" so far and the sun has not been out for days here...

-palimpsest- The suggestion to follow pinks from the Brown line of colors was a great idea and that's how we ended up with this color, I kept telling my DD not to read the name of the color-- this usually misleads. She's happy.

-rtmom2- To answer your furniture question. DD has natural wood with pine knots showing, french country style. The headboard has subtle stencil done in pale pinks,greens,peach flowers in a light brown basket. Some of this repeats on a smaller scale on the hutch,dresser. The pink on the walls picks up the pink in the flowers and seems to take on something from the natural wood, this pink and the natural wood looks good in the room. The pine knots which are darker will help with the brown that we are working with and I am considering changing her dresser,desk knobs to metal oil-rubbed bronze ones to tie in a new look. We got our furniture years ago at Seamans Kids here in the Northeast, they've gone out of business. Have you tried IKEA for natural wood look? My DD also is not yet into "black" as a color, seems to be the consensus all around...wait another 3 years! Yikes! Good luck.

Thank you everyone for all the good ideas, I like the thin line in contrasting paint or some sort of stencil. I'll have to play around with that myself. I hope to put out pictures soon.

• rtmom2
    14 years ago

Sounds great. I hope she likes it. I order a desk and went w/ what she wanted. Stanley, Ma Marie in white w/ a cherry top. After thinking about it a felt I picked the rest of her furniture before she was born, she could pick out what she wanted at this stage (of course within reason). I did remind her we don't change furniture every 3 yrs and this is it. Let's hope she doesn't want the black then. LOL

Can't wait to see your pictures. This has been a fun thread to follow.