Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19777916

Ever make a cashmere sweater throw?

User
12 years ago

Hi, I was just starting to make a new cashmere sweater throw and I thought maybe I should share the idea as I made one two years ago and love it. By the way, cashmere is a fabric that never makes me too hot, don't know why. Don't think you could use plain wool, it might become stiff.

Start by asking family & friends to give you their old cashmere that has gotten holes. I must admit that I get most of mine from the Salvation Army on their 1/2 price Wednesdays. I immediately machine wash the sweaters in warm water and machine dry them. (I even gave my son-in-law a cashmere after I had done this - it never shrank.) When you have 5 or 6 sweaters, cut them apart along the seams. At this point, don't worry about colors or holes, just cut them apart.

Next step is to iron each piece so you can see any flaws, then rotary cut into squares & rectangles. I then lay them out in quilting lines or strips to make a pleasing color design. Sew them together with a one inch seam - all seams one the same side. When it is all sewn together, sew a zigzag seam 1 inch in - around the outside edge. That is all you do!

This is so lightweight and warm you will adore it (so does my dog) When it gets dirty, just machine wash & dry it. I just love the one I made 2 years ago.

Leftover scraps make great pillow or dog bed stuffing and can be washed.

Monica