Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

They DID make my bed in the wrong fabric!!!!

jockewing
13 years ago

About a week and a half ago I posted pics of the new bed I ordered titled "Don't like the color of my new bed". And now I know why!!! They made the damn thing in the wrong fabric!!!!! I knew the fabric I selected was a cream and not a beige-y peach color. I called the store the day after they delivered the bed to say that I thought something was wrong, and my saleslady had them send me a swatch of the fabric from the manufacturer. Sure enough it came in the mail today and I found out I'm not crazy!!! The saleslady said to call her back if there were any more problems, so I called right away and left a voicemail since she is apparently off today. I was so distraught thinking I was going to have to change my whole color scheme because the bed didn't work with the wall color. I spent $400 on drapes because of the needed changes. Here is a pic of the bed and the "correct" fabric:

How do I need to proceed? I will demand a new bed in the proper fabric and I'm not paying an extra cent. To spend almost $1500 and WAIT 8 weeks and they can't even make the damn thing in the correct fabric. That is SO AGGRAVATING and infuriating! Any tips on how to proceed if they aren't as cooperative as they claim they will be? I paid with credit card so I will definitely file a claim if I have to.

Comments (20)

• rosebud57_gw
    13 years ago

Quite a difference. If they aren't cooperative - send them a copy of this picture!

Also, I'd call the credit card now and explain the situation, that you didn't get what you paid for. Most have insurance on purchases. Good luck and keep us posted.

• User
    13 years ago

Welcome to my world. Not only was our new sectional sofa delivered damaged but it too was in the wrong fabric. :c( I hope you're able to get it worked out.

• greatgollymolly
    13 years ago

I wouldn't fret till I had too. Obviously it's their mistake and they'll have to honor it. Calm down, it will work itself out. I know how you feel, everything I try to do lately is screwed up by some incompetent person who just doesn't care.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

wow! big difference in color!
    i'm sure they will happily replace your bed with one made in the proper fabric or will offer you a huge refund...if i were you, i would decide which way to proceed...and how much to ask for back if you decide you will live with this fabric...i would think at least 50% back would be reasonable-maybe more???---big mistake for them to make and expensive for them to fix...giving you a huge refund would be the cheapest way for them to go.

• jockewing
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The last upholstered item I bought (a couch) had different color fabrics on the pillows and the frame of the couch! It took months to get replacement pillow covers sent to me. What is wrong with these people? The entertainment center I ordered in November! still isn't in yet and it's April now!

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

You won't have one bit of trouble. Bernhardt is a reputable company and will stand by their product.
    Dee

• kathleenca
    13 years ago

Hi jockewing,

I'm so glad you found out it wasn't your error. I remember your previous post on the fabric & that you thought it was your erroneous perception on the fabric.

Don't live with their error - you will always be thinking about it. Make them make it right. And isn't it great to know you WEREN'T wrong?!

• pammyfay
    13 years ago

You know they will ask something like, "How much of a discount will you take to KEEP the bed?"
    (How much was shipping on that thing?)

Not thinking about your drapes and paint color in the room, is this color of this bed definitely something you don't want? The peachiness really does push it out of the neutral tone of the swatch.

Until you can talk to the order taker, you should probably call your credit-card company, explain the situation and ask what the "freeze" procedure is--especially how many days you have if you decide you want to fight the charge. Just calling isn't the same as fighting the charge, tho -- you have to outline everything in a written letter (at least that's Citicards' policy) for the latter.

So although you do want the bed manufacturer to make good, you want to also make sure that you don't miss any deadline your credit card firm's policy states.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

Now that I've seen the closeup, I think you should have it fixed and not accept the bed in the existing fabric as fomr sound of it, you would end up paying whatever saving on the bed, just to fix everything else so in the end you will not have saved any money and just had a lot of aggravation and work changing the drapes, bedding, paint, etc. I agree with Dee that Bernhardt is a very reputable company and I would be surprised if they did not correct the problem. As for your credit card company, I've disputed successfully a problem purchase before and you need to document everything so keep a record of all phone calls, names, etc. better yet, mail them a letter stating the problem and how you want it fixed and give them 10-days to respond. Then you if you do not get satisfaction, you can resort to the disput, though I do not think you will need to do that.

• arcy_gw
    13 years ago

You already bought new curtains? Or you are going to have to buy new if you keep the bed you have? I am thinking they will offer you a discount. How much do you dislike the new bed? Given the time/hassle the switch is going to take..are you sure you want to go that far? Things to think about I am sure the company is going to fix it or offer you money to keep what you have. Why would you doubt that? Bottom line it is a custom order, they can't come tomorrow with the bed you want and swap it out. This is going to take time.

• katrina_ellen
    13 years ago

I'm glad for you, you can always return the drapes.

• ttodd
    13 years ago

Wow what a difference! Good for you for double checking. I honestly can't say that I would have called for a swatch. I usually end up thinking that it's just me and that I made the wrong choice.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Wow, the difference is clear. I agree, they need to get you a new bed in the correct fabric. I'm sure they will make it right.

Of course, there must be someone here who would love to take the old one off their hands. I love it, but we do not have the space for it.

• jockewing
    Original Author
    13 years ago

When the bed arrived, it had been several weeks since I had seen the fabric sample. I brought the sample home with me before purchasing the bed to make sure it worked at my house. When the bed arrived, I didn't have the sample and it wasn't so much of a difference that I could definitively know that it was wrong, as it's not like I ordered a blue fabric and it came in red, for instance. If it had been that obvious, I would have refused to take delivery. I just don't understand how companies (especially in this economy) can afford to make such stupid and totally preventable mistakes. It makes me so hesitant to buy anything custom in the future, which is really bad since there is so little available in retail in my area in the style I like. And why does it take 6 - 8 weeks to upholster a bed frame in the first place?? I was really looking forward to getting my bedroom "finished" and it will all be delayed again!

I bought linen drapes from Pottery Barn in the duck egg blue color as the bed they sent me screwed up my whole color scheme. The problem is I now really love them and don't know if I should return them or not. My original plan was to go with my existing cream colored drapes to match the bed, but now I don't know what to do. I will be in limbo all over again!

• suero
    13 years ago

I presume that you will be keeping your bed (the correct one) for some time. While you are understandably anxious now for the decorating to be finished, another few weeks probably is only a small fraction of the time you will be living with the bed. So get it redone in the right fabric.

While it took 8 weeks to get the bed initially, ask them to move the production up to the head of the line so that you won't have to wait another lengthy period to get the correct bed. That's the least they can do for you.

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

So, what did they say?

Stuff happens because people are not perfect and make mistakes. It probably doesn't happen often and a decent company should make good on their mistakes.

They should put your order at the front of the line.

• sheriz6
    13 years ago

Having just been through this kind of thing with dining room chairs that arrived damaged, I'd offer the following advice:

Talk to your saleslady and see what she has to say first. She may be able take care of everything right away without any hassle - don't worry until you have to. Decide in advance exactly what you want to have happen, and be pleasant but very, very firm. Bottom line is you have paid a lot and should have exactly what you ordered.

Take notes. Write down who you spoke to and exactly what s/he tells you so you have an ongoing record that you can refer back to. My chair issue took two months to resolve and having those notes regarding who told me what over that period of time was really a big help.

If the response is not what you want it to be, call your credit card company and file a payment dispute. I had MasterCard help me with my chair situation, and the customer service rep there was FABULOUS. I was able to do this over the phone, I didn't need to send a letter. One call from him to the furniture store solved my problem. I still had to wait weeks for the replacement chairs, but it was all resolved very quickly once he got involved.

Finally, be patient :) Much easier said than done, I know!

Hope this all goes smoothly for you -- hang in there!

• jockewing
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I talked to my sales lady today and she asked me to send a picture (which I had already taken) to the lady at the furniture store that handles deliveries and the storeroom. She said the problem would be taken care of but I would have to talk to the delivery lady to work out the details. She was very nice and apologized. So, hopefully things will work out. She also said Bernhardt is a very reputable company and there should be no problems getting this resolved. So far, so good!

• denali2007
    13 years ago

Well, I'm happy that they did make the bed in wrong color and now you will be able to get the color you wanted!

I'm sure they will make things right. Don't feel like you need to get a discount. You really don't like the bed as is. Tell them the only thing you will accept is the bed done in the right fabric.

• Mick Mick
    12 years ago

Any updates? :)