Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkillorin

Sealing marble counter tops

jkillorin
15 years ago

Looking for advice on sealant products for marble kitchen and bath counter tops. My fabricator recommends Stain-Proof by Dry Treat. Would like to know if anyone has had experience with this product and if you have been happy with the results. I read one post indicating that it feels like plastic - don't want that. Any other recommendations for sealing these tops would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (9)

• erikanh
    15 years ago

I answered you in the other thread but in case you didn't see:

My installer used some brand I'd never heard of. I noticed right away that when I spilled water it would soak right into the marble. I used mineral spirits to remove the sealer and resealed with Miracle 511 Impregnator purchased at Home Depot. This is one of the products recommended by resident tile expert Bill Vincent. Now liquids puddle instead of sink in, and so far it's done a great job repelling stains such as spaghetti sauce.

Good luck!

• clinresga
    15 years ago

The Miracle products are the most frequently recommended here. We used the Porous Plus, which is more expensive, and which Bill Vincent feels is overkill for honed marble, compared to the Impregnator, but for me, it is more the hassle of applying it than the cost of the sealant that was the issue for me so I went with the "best" product I could find. Suspect it was a waste of money but I felt better.

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

clinresga: i bought the porous plus just to seal a sample of honed calacutta! i'll use it on the countertops for sure. what's "overkill"?
    btw: i sealed it once over a year ago (more like 18 months) and have abused it daily. holding up pretty well, but IRL i'd be sure and seal it 2x annually.

• lucypwd
    15 years ago

Porous plus 511 on my honed calacutta. No stains to this point. Sealed and used 6 months.

• annekendo
    15 years ago

I used 2 coats of '511 Seal & Enhance' & 3 coats of Â511 Porous Plus on my honed carrara marble counters. I haven't had any staining in the two months they have been in use, but I have marks all over the counters where the sheen is different. Some marks are shiney, but mostly they are dull & I can't clean them off. I guess this is etching. If someone knows for sure, or knows how to fix this issue, I'd love to hear it...they are very noticeable and it is making me crazy.

• jkillorin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The Miracle products do seem to be the most popular. Regarding the 511 Porous Plus - does the marble feel like marble or does it create a film or barrier? Thanks so much for all of your helpful input.

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

annekendo: it sounds like etching. it's inevitable and no way to avoid. a honed surface will mask it better than polished. i don't think anyone will notice. marble is just too beautiful for anyone to go around looking for imperfections, especially when they are expected.

i haven't heard of the "seal & enhance" but i'll be sure and buy that too, being as i appreciate overkill.

jkillorin: i've only sealed a sample (about 2' square) but it doesn't feel as if there's any film or residue. i believe marble is one of the more porous stones, so the sealer (whichever you use) will get soaked in. from what i understand it will help prevent staining, but if something does manage to leave a mark it will fade away in time. this has at least been my experience. GL!

• vrjames
    15 years ago

annekendo, I would say your "sheen" variances are do to excessive sealing. And you have mixed sealers as well which is not recommended.

The dull spots are sometimes caused by too much sealer accumulating on the surface. This is what I would call "overkill".

As for the OP about the Drytreat product. It is my understanding that is is possibly the best product on the market. I will let the fabricators with experience speak to that though.

Blessings

• vrjames
    15 years ago

annekendo, I would say your "sheen" variances are do to excessive sealing. And you have mixed sealers as well which is not recommended.

The dull spots are sometimes caused by too much sealer accumulating on the surface. This is what I would call "overkill".

As for the OP about the Drytreat product. It is my understanding that is is possibly the best product on the market. I will let the fabricators with experience speak to that though.

Blessings