Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sashasmommy_gw

Question about duvet covers

sashasmommy
13 years ago

Is it normal for a duvet cover to not have any ties on the inside? I bought a Dwell Studio duvet cover and fully expected it to have ties in each of the corners, but it doesn't.

Comments (21)

• uesjo
    13 years ago

very normal..
    I have many duvet covers and only one has ties

• amj0517
    13 years ago

I've used tiny binder clips on the inside corners to hold the pieces together. You don't even know they are there, but they hold everything in place.

• yayagal
    13 years ago

That's a great idea.

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

So this is a totally dumb question...amj, do you clip the edge of the comforter to the edge of the duvet or are the clips sewn onto one or the other?

I recently bought a cover with no ties and it makes me crazy! I'm going to buy some small rings, the type used on roman shades, to sew to the inside of the duvet. That way I can tie the comforter to the rings. But if binder clips work better...heck, I'll try that!

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

I normally sew my own duvets from king size sheets and I add my own ties. I usually use shoe laces but in a pinch I've also used seam binding or sewn mine own from leftover fabric.

Even if I buy duvets at a store I always add more ties to the cover and more loops to the comforter. It's just annoying when the comforter slides down inside the cover and this way it stays in place.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

I've never had a duvet cover with ties. What are the ties used for? My duvet covers usually have buttons at one end, but perhaps I am missing out on a very important piece of the duvet puzzle?

• amj0517
    13 years ago

Pesky1 - I usually clip the inside seam of the duvet to the corner of the down insert. I've only clipped in the corners, but I suppose you could use more if you're a restless sleeper.

Once they are clipped, I hold the clipped corners and stand on the bed to shake it smooth. The trick is to use the smallest clip you can find.

• avesmor
    13 years ago

I have several duvet covers and none have come with ties. I either sew my own in, or use a safety pin.

• lolauren
    13 years ago

work in progress -- ties are on the inside of a duvet cover's corners. When you put the comforter inside, you can tie the corners so they don't move.

I never knew they existed until I helped my mom put a new Pottery Barn duvet cover on her bed recently. :) I have had a Calvin Klein duvet cover most recently, but it didn't have ties! I used the BB&B clips above.

• lyfia
    13 years ago

None of mine has them and I've never felt the need for them either in the 30+ years of using them. Never had the comforter move around. Maybe I've just been lucky to have enough friction between the comforter and the cover though.

• sashasmommy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone... I never had one before, but our comforter has little tabs on the corners so I just expected all duvet covers to have ties! I used a safety pin for now...

• beddingtons
    12 years ago

a soft flat bag traditionally filled with down or feathers, or a combination of both, and used on a bed as a blanket. Duvets originated in rural Europe and were made from the down feathers of the eider duck, known for its usefulness as an insulator.

Here is a link that might be useful: Duvet Covers

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

cth-1027, Thank you! I just printed this post and will go to Bed Bath & Beyond since I need these clips.

• gillianma
    12 years ago

I've used duvets and duvet covers for 45 years and have never needed ties. Or clips. I suppose they might be useful, but?

I'm European. We use duvet covers as top sheets and wash with all sheets and pillow cases. Frequently.

I have to ask, are your US duvets and covers the right size? How do you make the bed?

Honestly, all I do is insert the duvet into the cover match the corners and shake. It does help to have the cover inside-out for the insertion.

To make the bed, I air the bed by folding the duvet back and/or toss most of it out the window to fluff (weather permitting.)

Then I match the bottom corners again (only an inch or two drift) and shake again vigorously. It just seems to fall into place onto the bed. Twin duvets are easiest, but I can do this on my own with a king.

Fluff pillows (we don't do decorative pillows or top sheets in my house). Place duvet back on bed and smooth. So easy.

I don't want to sound argumentative or mean, but I just do not "get" decorative pillows. I'm function over form.:-)

• baileyandbella
    12 years ago

I use heavy duty safety pins.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Gillianma, decorative pillows do have a purpose, they are aesthetically pleasing to me (and others who use them) and that, does indeed make us happy and contented.

And, sometimes in a wild moment, I lay on top of all of them.

• Linderhof1208
    12 years ago

I have English duvet covers and do like Gillianma -- I've found no need for clips or ties and the duvets stay in place inside the covers without either. Perhaps the European ones are different from American ones? (BTW, my bed is queensize)

• itltrot
    12 years ago

I had a duvet cover from pottery barn for 4 years before I realized it had ties in it. Never had a problem with it shifting. Now that I've used the ties I don't like the way it looks bunched in the corners.

• pps7
    12 years ago

Which one did you get? I'm in love with Batavia dove!

• rosesstink
    12 years ago

I've never heard of ties for the corner. I do the shake out thing like gillianma described and all looks neat and tidy.

And just so gillianma doesn't feel alone.... I don't get decorative pillows on beds either. No extra pillows means not having to worry about what to do with them at night. How many threads have there been about that "problem"? Lots. lol