Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fedup321

I need HELP, before i have to refinance my house to care for my p

fedup321
14 years ago

I have had this pool since 1982, a 20x40 vinyl liner. Never before this year had I had this problem....Picture perfect clear and then WHAMO. Pool started turning a litle green. I added 5 lbs of shock and the rest of some $22.00 a bottle of alge stuff. about 16 oz. The next morning I was shocked to see it was worse than before! I took a sample to the pool supply for a test...MY instructions was to add 48 lbs of alkalinty( that is over a hundred pounds this year added ..5 lbs more shock, 2 lbs ph up, 8 lbs stabilizer.

Next morning the pool looks no better.All the time I am checking the clorine . After 12 to 18 hours later....NO clorine.

Called pool supplier they recommended I Add 10 lbs shock and bring another sample the next morning!!

Here is my test results from yesterday...

Free clorine O

total clorine0

PH 7.4

alkaliny 110

Cal hard 100

stablizer 40

clorine shock

THey said to add 25lbs of shock in a two day period. Did that .this morning tested clorine....NOTHING.. after adding 12lbs...They also said I did not need any more stabilizer.

Added 12 more lbs just now.. If no Clorine in the morning Should I change pool supliers, or just put the cover on and close the Damn thing up!!

$420.00 in a 5 day period is breaking me..

ANYONE???? Had this problem before..

Comments (12)

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

If you have a tablet feeder, are there tabs in it?

If you have a salt cell, whose, how old, make, any error codes?

Is the filter running? How long?

What kind of shock?

48 lbs of alk is a lot.

Algae needs to be vacuumed and brushed 24 hour after shocking.

Check for phosphates too.

• fedup321
    Original Author
    14 years ago

pool guy, I keep 2 to 3 tabs in my skimmer all times..I run the filter 24/7. No salt cell, I was using a 98 % shock, and they recommended a 73 % Zappit..And I brushed every thing up..Did not vacumm..Flushed filter befor adding the chemical. except for today..

Water has no more alge,, Looks like a gal of 1 percent skim milk mixed with water...Chaulky white..

• domingos35
    14 years ago

test pool water for phosphates
    use liquid chlorine
    stabilizer is a little low
    clean filter and run it for 48 hours then clean it again

• piscespool
    14 years ago

fedup....go to the link. You need to learn the basics of pool water chemistry and how to properly shock and maintain your pool water. You don't need exotic and expensive pool store chemicals to have nice, sanitized clear water. Start with "Pool School" and then post your results (ideally you'll want your own good test kit) and questions in "Just getting Started". Many other have been in your shoes. HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: trouble free pool

• fedup321
    Original Author
    14 years ago

piscespool, I think you misses part of my post. I have owned my pool for 27 years I have been thru 4 liners know a little bit about the chemicals with 27 years expierence. As I stated this is the first time this has ever happen to me..Putting 12 lbs of shock and no reading of clorine the next morning. I was very misinformed by the pool supplier, a new one... as the one I have been using for the past 3 yrs shut down, due to the owner dying..I just found out tonight that some of the others that used them have had the same problem as me, they were telling prople that they did't hsve to add stablizer, in a way to sell more shock which is a highly marked up item.. as are most .I added 3 more lbs of stabilizer about 3 hours ago and tested the clorine a few mins ago and now I have no yellow water in my test kit....IT IS BROWNISH RED, I will probaly have a white liner in the morning, LOL. We are going to contact a Lawyer tommorow....Thaaaaaanks

• wvgirl-2009
    14 years ago

Agree with piscespool. Check out Trouble Free Pool's website. $$420 is crazy!!! You have something in your water that's consuming your chlorine, plain and simple. You need to add more chlorine, and keep adding it until your water is clear. (yes, an algae outbreak can take a lot) Keep brushing and making sure that your filter is clean so it can keep up. Go to pool school at TFP for more info.

• fedup321
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sorry, piscespool, I hit summit before I was finished with my post. This is the first year I am using clorine in the last 6 yrs. I have been using Baqucil before.. but due to the economy and overseas salarys, a local Sock manufactor closed its doors putting over 500 out of work. Getting to the point. I was buying the shock from them. Shock for baqucil is hydrogen peroxide. The pool dealers price was 14.95 a gallon. It was 25%. The peroxide to dye socks was 27%. I was paying $3.00 for a five Gallon bucket. The sock place was paying .27 cents a gallon. What's is the mark up in that?? .27 cents versus 15.00? ANYWAY THANKS TO ALL FOR THE HELP.......

• kitchenshock
    14 years ago

I am not a pool chemical expert by any stretch but I know that when I shock my pool I have to add a lot of liquid chlorine. From what I understand the shock eats up the chlorine. Which is why I add 2.5gal of liquid Cholorine when I shock my pool. I never have had to had 12lbs of shock to my pool. My pool is rougly 36000 gallons and I add 3 cap fulls and it will take my chlorine to zero in about a day. I can only imagine what 12lbs would do.

I certainly understand where you are coming from though, I don't think I have ever spent $400 on chemicals in a month, not even after Hurricane Wilma.

• piscespool
    14 years ago

Ahhh...so you've used Baquacil for the last 6 years until now? Yes? You didnt' say that in your first post. And right now you're using chlorine tabs in your skimmer and shocking the pool with a chlorine or non-chlorine based product for sanitizer instead of the Baquacil peroxide "shock"? Just trying to get this all straight.

Are you in the middle of a Baquacil to chlorine conversion? That is a specific process, and it takes some patience to do, during which you'll see different water colors and clarity as you convert.

Of course, as you already probably know using an OTO test (which shows yellow in the presence of chlorine and tests up to 5 ppm of Total Chlorine only)...a brownish red color means that you have a much higher level of Total Chlorine (Free Chlorine plus Combined Chloramines)in the water. You'd need to use an FAS/DPD drop test to very accurately determine up to 50 ppm how much Free Chlorine, Combined Chlorine and Total Chlorine you have. I use this test on my own pool frequently and it's very easy to use.

I still stand by my advice. There are detailed instructions and help on TFP for Baquacil users who need/want to convert to a less expensive product, as well as immediate help with your specific issues. Cheers and I hope you get your problem solved and get back to enjoying your pool!

• sandradee
    14 years ago

No need for a lawyer, no need to spend excessive money on chemicals. I completely agree with piscespool...you need to go to the link indicated a few posts back and look for the info on a Baquacil conversion. Good luck.

• fedup321
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I converted to chlorine the middle of last year, that was not my problem, Again thanks to all, MY pool has been perfect since I open it May 15. Again thanks

• piscespool
    14 years ago

You're welcome, fedup...wish you all the best!