Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cutter2010

Height of Sub panel/Electrical Box

cutter2010
13 years ago

Just noticed that the height of my pool subpanel is going to only be about 12 inches above ground once final grade is established. Anyone know what the standard height of a sub panel is? How high is yours from the ground?

Before I ask (or demand) my PB to move it, wanted to get some feedback. What I think happened is the electrician made an honest mistake not realizing the grade was going to be higher. Not sure how he would think that considering the equipment is proped higher but trying to give the benefit of the doubt. I know it's going to be a mini battle with the PB so wanted to check with my favorite forum on the matter.

I have two concerns. With saftey in mind, snow will cover the panel in the winter. Wouldn't mositure get in and cause potential long term problems? My second concern is convenience. I would have to sit on the ground to make changes in the panel.

Do I have a valid beef or am I overreacting?

Thanks

Comments (10)

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

IMO, the panel should be 1' above snow level.

Electrical codes do not set a minimum, but they do list a max at 6'7" .

I wouldn't want to get on the ground to service my easy touch.

• paradigmdawg
    13 years ago

I know nothing about this stuff Racket but my PB said that there was a 12" min. height requirement.

We were talking about the manual pool light switch when he said that but I assumed it meant all electrical terminations.

• cutter2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I currently have a request into the pool builder and the electrician to remedy the situation. Will let you know what they say once I hear back.

• manhattan42
    13 years ago

The panel enclosure shown is rated for outdoor use in all weather conditions, so snow accumulation around it is of no concern.

The National Electric Code does set a minimum height for the bottom of pool deck boxes.

They must be located a minimum of 4" above grade or pool deck level and a minimum of 8" above maximum pool water level.

Your panel meets electric Code minimum on all counts and would be considered a 'safe' and code compliant installation.

You will therefore have a hard time getting this box installed higher without having to pay extra to the pool company to relocate it higher.

Sorry.

• huskyridor
    13 years ago

quote" The 8" is for a light junction box, so unless the easy touch panel is being used for the light junction box, this doesn't apply. "quote

In almost all digital controlling systems the power center becomes the JB for the pool/spa lamptails.
    The bottom of the power center used as it's JB must be a minimum of 8" above the level of the highest water elevation, this is usually the level of your water in a raised spa. If it's not you must place another JB meeting this height and run a switch leg to the power center.

See ya,
    Kelly

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

Kelly, there is a light jbox to the right of the panel.

Because of the ignorance of our inspectors, we always use jboxes for the light, it's cheaper than constantly arguing with them.

Regardless the panel should not be located in a location where it will be under the snow, and at a place that you have to get on your hands and knees to operate, unless you specifically ask for it to be that way.

• gaylek
    13 years ago

Take it from one who has to bend over to read the minerals springs system. Get it to eye level! As you get older you will definitely appreciate it.
    BTW, I said I think all the equipment should be planned/laid out by a 65 year old over weight person! Then (most) everyone should be comfortable with the heights!!

• huskyridor
    13 years ago

Racket, you've got great eyes, LOL!!!
    I didn't even notice it.
    I'm laughing about your inspector comment, I deal with their lack of knowledge on code all the time.
    I've built quite a few pools for building and home inspectors, several of them were for chief inspecors of local small cities. I keep these chief's cell numbers in my cell to dial promptly when I have an encounter where I feel we're in the right, to discuss and describe what he feels isn't code compliant to his superior, and to let me do the same so hopefully I can avoid rework and a come back inspection.

I'm not trying to take the builders side on the matter, I do agree it's to low and should be raised, but I really don't feel the average builder would do it for free unless his electrician ate the redo.
    His electrician should have opened his ayes, looked at the levels, and raised it higher during installation.
    I'd suggest asking the builder to drop on his knees to look at the service panel lights and then ask him to take you to his house so you can get the feel of how it works at his place. Trust me, if this install was at his house it would be getting raised for free just as yours should be handled too.

See ya,
    Kelly

• cutter2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great news. After having the electrician come out, he also agreed that the sub panel was installed a bit too low which is probably more like 8-10 inches above finished grade (where equip is located). The crew will be out tommorow to raise it up.

Props go out to Village Electric in Chelmsford, Ma for promptly addressing the issue. I know a lot of companies would try to avoid making the changes so we are thrilled with Village going the extra mile.

Shot of Before (Will upload final pic when I get it).