Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justintime2b2late

Electrician bill too high?

justintime2b2late
15 years ago

We had a fiberglass pool installed this summer and other than taking longer than we thought it would it went fine for the most part. We paid the builder for everthing except for the electrical- he said he would have the electrician bill us but it normally went for nominal fee-we're looking for what we wrote down, believe me. The electrician who came out said the job was a simple as it got. No extra work needed or anything. Our pool is 31x14, no spa, no special lighting, just a standard fiberoptic light in the deep end. The fee was $1200. In your experience is that in line? If so, that's fine, we are probably just being cheap. Thanks.

Comments (7)

• MidTNGal
    15 years ago

I just had a 15x27 kidney-shaped vinyl liner pool installed this Spring and was told to expect $1800-$2000. The only thing extra I had put in was outlets at every corner of the lot and it came back to me at $1700. I didn't question it since it was lower than expected. I don't know if being in different parts of the country has anything to do with it or not. But, compared to mine...you got off cheap! :)

• rickynp
    15 years ago

I recently had my pool built, The electrician charge 1200 to install the pool equipment which includes the SAM lights for the pool and spa. They hooked up the blower.
    They included 2 electrical outlets close to the pool equipment area.

• tresw
    15 years ago

That doesn't sound off base at all. They would have started by digging trenches, then laid conduit from your panel out to the equipment pad, conduit from the pad to the light niche, conduit to your light switch (unless it's located at the equipment pad); then they pulled wiring through all that conduit probably on a separate visit and installed breakers, switch/ switches and outlet/ outlets, final connected the equipment and backfilled their trenches. Plus they probably installed the bonding system too. It's more involved then you would think when looking at the finished product.

• barco
    15 years ago

Doesn't sound high to me. Electricians aren't cheap. The smallest job is typically $500-$750....and that might be just for stringing a new outlet. Remember if an electrician messes up...its possible someone could die. You pay for that assurance.

• airborne101
    15 years ago

Doesn't sound high to me either. We occasionally do motorized shades where it must be hardwired and we run all wires but don't do the final connection. A half hour of work plus an hour travel time costs me $400 by my electrician, well worth it. A friend recently had a dedicated 220 line added from his garage to electrical panel and flat fee was $1000 for a 40 foot run. HOpe this helps, Barb

• kc567567
    15 years ago

Mine, done this past spring, was $950 and another $900 for the natural gas hookup to the furnace (including a chimney thru the shed roof) ...... the same company did both, so if i were just doing the electrical i expect it would have been a little more .... I think you did OK!!

KC

• glowblue
    15 years ago

I did mine myself and the total cost of material was about $600, including $140 to rent a trencher to run 90 feet of underground conduit. I put a 100A sub-panel at the pool to run a heat pump (50A), 2 pumps (20A each), electrical outlet, 2 lights. Probably would have paid about $1500 for a licensed electrician. To save money, you could hire an electrician to map it out, you do the hard work, and have them check it (running wire, conduit, etc. is easy if you have someone knowledgeable telling you what to do).