Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Dream reading nook anyone?

Annie Deighnaugh
10 years ago

What's your dream reading nook?

This one's not hard to take...

...except I'm not sure how much reading I'd get done vs. how much day dreaming....

Comments (24)

• tinam61
    10 years ago

What a timely question! Last week we were out of town. We rented a small, pre-1900 historical home for a few days. The dining room had two walls of windows - which formed a corner. Into that corner the owners had put an antique single bed. One end had the high, leather headboard. The bed was low and piled with pillows. It fit perfect along that wall. Each morning my pup and I sat in that window and watched outdoors. I also enjoyed sitting there with a book or even a quick snooze or two. Wondering if I can duplicate something similar in my sunroom.

tina

• birdgardner
    10 years ago

Blinding glare...

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I can't figure out how big that nook is...doesn't look big enough to stretch out - if you can't, your feet would be scrunched up against the wall or your back would be against the window. Unless that's a "coffee table" book instead of a novel sized book, but even the shoes seem to make it look like the bench part isn't very long (oh, and my knees hurt, thinking about getting up and down off the floor)...just doesn't look cozy to me at all. But the view looks fab.

• dlfrun66
    10 years ago

Here's one of my favorite spots.

• rosie
    10 years ago

I was looking for a cottagy pillow-piled daybed filling one end of an enclosed porch and didn't, but this is close enough. :)

This post was edited by rosie on Tue, May 28, 13 at 13:13

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

{{!gwi}}

Source: anindiansummer-design.blogspot.com via Boopadaboo on Pinterest

Source: homeandfurnitureaccessories.blogspot.com via Boopadaboo on Pinterest

Source: lonny.com via Boopadaboo on Pinterest

Source: thewoolacorn.blogspot.com via Boopadaboo on Pinterest

Source: Uploaded by user via Boopadaboo on Pinterest

Source: whimsicalraindropcottage.tumblr.com via Boopadaboo on Pinterest

Not sure they are all actually nooks, but they look like comfy places to read to me!

I love the view in yours!

• dlfrun66
    10 years ago

Love this thread. Make's me want to curl up with a cup of tea and a good book!

• rosie
    10 years ago

Looks like we're all having affairs with our books. Mine's lifelong, though. A committed relationship.

• User
    10 years ago

Here's mine.

Don't ask how seldom I actually use it.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Here are some of my favorites:
    {{!gwi}}

This post was edited by anele on Tue, May 28, 13 at 17:52

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

ugh-- never mind! won't let me post!

This post was edited by anele on Tue, May 28, 13 at 17:54

• mustangs81
    10 years ago

Those are some great and inspirational reading rooms.
    My dream reading nook would be a 2013 Mercedes Benz SLC. I only do audio books so just when I'm on a road trip, at the gym, or doing yard work.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Yay! Finally, I was able to sign in! I love all of the pictures you posted. I tend to read at the kitchen table which is surrounded on three sides by glass. Sometimes, I think about moving the table out and putting a day bed into the space, but using the table to prop up my book or iPad works well for me.

• rosie
    10 years ago

Once upon a time a large kitchen table where both DH and I could read newspapers over coffee was a top priority for me in any Perfect Home. Absolutely my favorite reading spot for years. DH likes a regular chair, but my side has an extremely comfortable, back-supporting chair. It was my MIL's favorite, and I still have it even if our grown kids still call it "Grandma's Ugly Chair." (A dainty Hepplewhite she had had upholstered in a dirty puke chartreuse popular at one time.) Anyway, any time I'd prefer to just read sitting up, this would still be the place.

LOL, Mustangs. Also a luscious vision.

• dlfrun66
    10 years ago

Here are two more of my favorite reading, relaxing, or daydreaming spots.

• dlfrun66
    10 years ago

Here's the other.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Well, my new screen porch is 97% finished, so right now it's my ideal reading spot. My favorite place to read in general is on a comfortable lounge chair at the beach. Any beach!

PS haven't laid down the rug, assembled the second coffee table, or received the "real" corner/end table yet...

• annie1971
    10 years ago

I can't curl up and read anymore since having shingles a few years ago -- just cannot concentrate anymore -- as much as reading was my passion before. But, Oh my! Those lovely get away spots are heavenly. Sueb2, your space is coming along perfectly. I have to agree that any quiet place on the beach, any beach, would be my place of preference (even better with a Labrador Retriever and hubbydubby close by).

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one, not so much....

Might as well be cramped up on an airplane seat....

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Soothing topic! lol. This is where I have my morning coffee and then take my book there to read several times a day.

I love having a big front porch. This is just one end of it.

There's some chalk drawings on the concrete. :)

• dlfrun66
    10 years ago

A few more heavenly spots.

• siasconset
    10 years ago

My new house has two reading nooks, decorated beautifully by the previous owners and now empty and in need of design inspiration. I will certainly be asking you all for help! Here is the first one (from the sale listing):

• siasconset
    10 years ago

And the second one: