Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_c_gw

Quilts of Valor

mary_c_gw
15 years ago

OK, it looks like some of you want to help out, and I think that's wonderful!

What we did last time was people mailed me blocks, and I assembled the quilts, quilted, bound and sent them off. This still works for me.

Each quilt takes 12 12-inch finished sized blocks. I put them together with a 2" sashing and a 4" border. This makes the size quilt required by the foundation. This layout also allows me to tweak that block that's a bit skimpy or a bit large.

Most soldiers prefer patriotic colored quilts, so that's what I do.

Block requirements:

>> 12" finished size, 12-1/2" unfinished

>> Colors to use: Red, White or White-on-White, Blue

You can do red/white or blue/white or red/blue, if you want to make a two-color block.

Please don't use tan, ecru, beige (not that these are bad colors), simply because I buy white on white fabric by the bolt, and I use that for some backings, sashings, and borders. But in the past, some of the blocks with the "aged Americana" look just looked out of place with the bright white. Please do not use juvenile prints.

>> Block pattern: Your choice, but choose a block that can stand alone (i.e., one that doesn't need a companion block to complete it's pattern). Star blocks are especially appropriate.

www.quilterscache.com has a search which will allow you to search by block size.

>> Do not sign your block. I will include your name (if you wish) and state on the quilt label. Last time, I had people sign the blocks, and some of the signatures bled, and it was a mess to clean up. I am required to wash the quilt before it is sent.

>> Please, too! No more than 2 blocks per person! Last time I got 127 blocks in the space of 4 weeks! I was overwhelmed - gratified, too, but overwhelmed.

If you wish to send a dollar or two to help out with batting/backing cost, that's lovely, but NOT essential. I don't want anyone to think I'm trolling for a handout. I'd be making these quilts anyway.

Also, while I don't mean to sound snippy, PLEASE remember these are NOT charity quilts. These are AWARDS for service. This is the time for your pointiest points and finest sewing.

If you wish to participate, you can email me for my address through my page here.

Mary

Comments (12)

• lola99
    15 years ago

I'd love to participate again. I'll send you 2 blocks. Do you have a deadline in mind, or will you just make the quilts as the blocks arrive?

Lola

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No deadline, but I do reserve the right to say "Stop - block overwhelm here!", LOL, if it just gets to be too much.

When I have 12, I will make a quilt, and so on.

I will post photos of each completed quilt, and the label with everyone's name, as I get each one done.

Mary

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

Do you want the fabric prewashed?
    Thank you so much for doing this!

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You can prewash if you wish, but it is not a requirement. I wash the finished quilt with dye-catcher sheets.

Mary

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Mary, No way are you asking for a handout! I was the one who brought it up as sometimes people want to contribute and helping financially is better for them at times.

Make sure and let us know when you run out of blocks and we can send 2 more. @:)

I haven't used the term "charity" quilt in awhile...

SharonG/FL

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for understanding, Sharon.

I'm not rejecting other sorts of donations, and last time I did this a few people did order fabric on-line and had it sent to me.

But I still have cut-offs of some of those fabrics - enough to make sashings for a quilt or two. I have also used scraps from these donations in my individual QofV's.

Just so the group knows - when you do long-arm quilting, like I do, you need the backing to be larger on every side of the quilt - by 3-4 inches. Once the quilt is quilted, these strips get trimmed, and hey! more for piecing the next.

So I'm good to go with plenty of fabric to make sashings,cornerstones, and borders.

I guess I'm saying I don't need anyone to buy yardage.

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, 3 emails already! Thanks everyone, and I'm looking forward to everyone's creations.

Mary

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Mary, Oops, I hope you're still living at the same address I have from last time, because a couple blocks are winging their way to you.....mailed today. @:)

SharonG/FL

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, Sharon, we're still here, LOL. We've been in this house 20 years, and someone would have to pry me out with a crow bar. I love this place.

Mary

• grammyp
    15 years ago

I have your address, so I'll get some in the mail next week sometime. Still recovering from the bike ride in Florida.

beverly

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beverly, thanks!

I must say, my son was very interested that I had a "quilter-friend" who cycled. My husband does, my son does, but I have had a balance issue since my teen years, and I occasionally fall over on dry pavement.

Anyway, my son says "Go Beverly"!

Paul's last really big ride was 2006 - he rode the "Texas 4000 for Cancer" ride from UT Austin to Anchorage, Alaska. At the time he was the youngest rider ever accepted to go.(There are interviews and tests to be accepted) It took 70 days, averaging 100 miles/day, when riding - they did have some days off to see the world, LOL. He raised $5000 through sponser donations. We actually flew to Alaska to meet him at the end of the ride. So wonderful.

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Wow, ride to Anchorage, that is unbelievable, and $5000 raised is outstanding. I haven't managed 100 miles in one day yet, but I sure love to ride. Perhaps he should get you on a tandem, I just love mine. I would love to hear about his ride. My DH wants to do a ride across the US, I'm not that dedicated. I would like to do a ride in every state.

beverly

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida