Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
c9pilot

Do those FSBO websites work?

c9pilot
16 years ago

Spinning off another posting, but I just don't see how those non-MLS FSBO websites can work - there are just too many of them.

I'm shopping for a condo here in the Tampa Bay area and (of course) using realtor.com and would like to see what the FSBO's are offering. But which one to check? Each one has maybe one condo in my range (price & specific location) and I just don't have the time & effort to run advanced searches on a zillion different FSBO websites.

Classified ads & craigslist are even harder because I'd have to call or email each one to see if they are in my section of town.

Zillow, love it or hate it, is the next most search-friendly website but it doesn't seem like anybody is using it to post FSBOs. (I did find one though, and it was very informative.) For the record, I only use Zillow because it's the easiest way to check the tax records to see how much the current owner paid for the condo - tells me how much wiggle room I might have if I place an offer.

So, background in place, how many of you know people who have actually gotten buyers (or even lookers) directly from the FSBO websites?

Comments (7)

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

I think that you are right, and that is exactly why Realtors began the MLS system in the first place. Prior to the MLS home buyers would have to contact every agent in town to see their listings. If you want to FSBO you would need to go with one of the flat fee brokerages that will list your home on the MLS for an up front fee.

• granite_grrl
    16 years ago

My old neighbours accross the street sold their house within ~4 months for a good price by using a FSBO website. I think when using one of these sites you have to be ready to put in a decent bit of work.

The #1 way they got people into their house to look at it was with open houses. The FSBO site they went with included advertising for maybe 4 open house showing ads in the real estate weekly section of the local paper. They would advertise their open house for both Saturday and Sunday for most of the day. They had their signs out on the steet too to get more people in.

When going with FSBO you really have to sell yourself. Yes, its more work, but if you put a price tag on your hourly time spent and what you saved with not using a RE it would be very worth while for most people.

• c9pilot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So I'm not counting this one. Sounds like it sold thanks to advertising in the local paper and open houses signs.

I just saw that most people responded to the "How to sell a house w/o a Realtor" buy saying, post on this FSBO website or that FSBO website.

But I still don't think anybody finds your house on FSBO websites. There are just too many. They might drive by it and write down the URL and look up the details on that website, though.

• dreamgarden
    16 years ago

I am looking at an FSBO as I read....!

I think in some cases they do work.

• barbcollins
    16 years ago

I thought that many of the FSBO sites have options which include listing the property in the local MLS?

We are considering doing this, but the house we are selling is in a vacation area and 4 hours away.

Barb

• cpowers21
    16 years ago

I agree there are way too many fsbo sites. It gets frustrating trying to find a fsbo.

• michael_so_fl
    16 years ago

I bought a home in Northern Ga through a fsbo listing. By the time I reached the seller he had it listed with a real estate. I did not pay more because of this and the real estate Lady was a big help to us.Very happy