Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gaylemh_gw

Where do you store your bread?

gaylemh
15 years ago

Where does everyone store their bread? I didn't order a breadbox drawer and now I trying to figure out where I'm going to put my bread/rolls. In my old kitchen I had a large basket above my refrigerator, but can't do this in my new kitchen. I am having a CD refrigerator with a cabinet on top.

Does anyone make a bread box that can fit in an 18" drawer?

Comments (18)

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

I got a bread box from Williams Sonoma, it is glass and stainless steel or chrome and it is sort of a roll top. I'm so glad I got this. I always had the messy bread basket before, and now I have a neat attractive place to keep bread conveniently on the counter.

• plllog
    15 years ago

I've been using a large ClickClack canister which helps keep the bread fresh, but I learned here that the warming drawer is another good place. Because the controls are on the inside it's hard to turn it on accidentally with the bread inside, and it's sealed so keeps the bread fresher. Can't wait to try it!

• fredl
    15 years ago

When I bake 2 loafs, I let them cool on a rack and then put them in zip bags. One goes in the freezer and the other goes in the fridge. They stay moist and fresh, one slice a day, all the way to the end.

• goldengirl327
    15 years ago

I store mine in the top oven of my double ovens. Although DH calls this a very expensive way to store bread, it works for us!

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

I keep ours in the freezer and pull it out as needed, store the thawed loaf in the fridge. We go through half a loaf a day (and half a gallon of milk) so it doesn't get stale. My parents store theirs in the freezer, thaw a couple slices as needed since it's just the 2 of them.

• pattyk_64
    15 years ago

I store mine in the freezer as well. The way I grew up, when my Mom baked bread, she made a big batch and froze it, so even with store bought bread I do the same. We (a family of 5 including 3 teenage boys!) go through too much for me to just buy a fresh loaf every time I need some.

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

I have an old enamelled German breadbox that's 19"x10"; you can often find them in antique stores or eBay:

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

I store my bread in the freezer, then into my 15" bread drawer in my Medallion cabinets! I love it! My bread drawer consists of an added piece of plastic that slides to seal the drawer closed. I wanted to keep my counters as clear as possible.

Barb

• marciag
    15 years ago

I have a deep drawer (not outfitted as a bread drawer). I bought a couple of canister-size plastic containers (rectangular) made by steri-lite. They have lock-able tops. The bread loaves fit perfectly in them and I put the containers in the drawer. Much cheaper than the bread drawer insert, keeps the countertops free, and keeps the bread fresh without spoiling.
    In the unrenovated kitchen, I used to have a big basket on my counter, but it always looked messy.

• debo_2006
    15 years ago

I store it in the freezer and pull out a few slices as needed. This way, it's fresh all the time!! There's only two of us so a loaf can last 2+ weeks. Sometimes, I'll even put the loaf (plastic and all) into a big freezer bag.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I make 4-6 loaves at a time and put them in bread bags (just larger plastic bags) that I ordered online, and put them in the drawer under where our toaster oven sits. It's just a regular drawer...No special bread box or anything.

• reedrune
    15 years ago

OK - I'm sort of confused. I have a breadbox now - I thought it was mainly decorative - it doesn't seem all that 'airtight'! I was just planning on keeping my bread in a regular drawer in the new kitchen... is there some reason that I would need a special bread drawer or breadbox??

• nekothecat
    15 years ago

I saw a cute plastic bread container at Stop and Shop the other day but now I want to look at William-Sonoma! Our bread is always going stale even though I have two kids they don't eat it fast enough. I don't like the taste of frozen/thawed bread :-(

• megradek
    15 years ago

I am planning on adding my own breadbox after we move in and figure out which drawer will work best (although I am leaning towards one of my 18"ers).

right now I have my bread in my Henry Watson Original Suffolk Bread Crock - a lovely accessory that I carried home all the way from England - it's just too small for all the bread we eat!

Here is a link that might be useful: one I'm considering

• astridh
    15 years ago

I use one of my regular drawers as a designated bread drawer. I had a local sheet metal place make me a custom insert for the entire drawer (no top) so I can just lift out the metal and clean it occasionally. I just put the bread/bagels/rolls in there in the plastic or paper bags that they came in. It works great for us.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I store our bread in a "regular" drawer...the bottom drawer in our 4-drawer base. It keeps longer there than it did in the pantry in our old kitchen.

I had originally planned on a a "bread insert" in one of the 3-drawer bases, but when we started cutting costs we cut it...and saved over $300. In the regular door, the bread rarely goes bad b/f we use it up. We're a family of 4 (two teens), but I don't eat bread as I have Celiac Disease. (If bread is on sale & I buy several loaves, I double bag the extra loaves & store them in the freezer. My gluten-free bread is stored in the freezer since I don't eat it that quickly.)

I learned long ago, btw, that bread goes stale when stored in the refrigerator unless used up in a day or two...but if you use it up that quickly you don't need to store it in the refrigerator!

• atd_oc
    15 years ago

As buehl mentioned refrigerating bread is not advised, it dries it out faster. We freeze ours and it thaws quickly as needed.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I've heard it especially advised not to refrigerate homemade bread.

Buehl, I'm just curious--your dogs don't go crazy with it in the bottom drawer so close to the floor? I'd be afraid the dogs would damage the drawer. We caught our Lab sneaking a loaf off the island the other day!