Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jesse_s

swg, automatic covers, uv, ozone, HELP

jesse_s
15 years ago

I am just beginning this process and I am trying to educate myself before I start to work with a pool professional. There is so much conflicting advice. Some from experts, and I can't tell who has a vested interest and who is just being helpful, hen there are the people with personal experience. So, what I want ideally is SWG (what is SWCG?) with an automatic cover, but many say the cover will rust. Please, can someone give me some clear answers on this? I am in an area where the pool will be used for May through September. Thanks!

Comments (8)

• psfc
    15 years ago

SWCG=saltwater chlorine generator. As for the cover, I do not know for certain if it will rust (likely that it will) but I can say that my pool (use a salt system) has been fairly effective at quickly rusting metal objects (even the painted items). I would see about getting references for the automatic cover and see if yoiu can question the owners.

• Rack Etear
    15 years ago

Where the problems lie with using a salt system on a pool with the cover is somewhat 2 fold.

First as the cover rolls up it brings in salty water ( less than 4,000 ppm salt). Which is not incredibly corrosive by itself, but once it dries on the roller the water goes away it leaves pure salt behind on the roller and mechanism. In less than 2 years we have seen massive corrosion of the aluminum tubes and castings that the cover rolls up onto.

Second, since you are increasing the conductivity of the water, and are introducing a low voltage dc current into the water (for chlorine production) it rapidly increases the amount of electrolytic destruction to items that are constantly in contact with the water.

These problems are unique to salt pools.

I personally like salt systems and deal with many people who can live with the corrosion caused by them to other appliances. However when it comes to an automatic cover, the destruction is incredibly rapid, and expensive to repair. I would estimate that they can easily at $800 a year to repair bills.

• sharlanet
    15 years ago

We've had our pool for 3 years with a swg and auto cover. We haven't seen any rust yet. Maybe it depends on what company you get your cover from? We love both the swg and our auto cover. I wouldn't change either!

• poolmissy
    15 years ago

Jesse,

I guess it's best to claify what style of automatic cover. Sharla has surface deck track mount where we have a below coping track mount, which could make a difference in track exposure to water.

Above deck track installation:

{{gwi:1321886}}

Under coping track mount installation:

I know in the beginning of planning your pool you can become overwhelmed which features and choices. I just wanted you to know that there are different styles of automatic covers, which also plays into the $$$$ factor as well.

Sharla's cover has a aluminum cover over the box the cover rolls into. Ours box is covered with matching coping.

What kind of look do you want for your pool and are you planning a gunite pool or fiberglass pool?

I love the clean lines on Sharla's pool. Her picture was the inspiration for my concrete.

• Rack Etear
    15 years ago

Sharla's cover appears to be a cover pools cover. They all have the same type of aluminum drums and castings. This is the most common item to be destroyed by the salt.

And Missy is correct, the top track covers do bring in less water when opening that undertrack covers. UnderTrack with the hidden leading edge like hers drag in the most water.

• jesse_s
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I definitely want the track undermounted, so I am thinking that the SWG might not be an option. I sure don't want to do repair work every year, the whole goal (like with everyone) is as low maintainance as possible. I am going for the gunite pool with a dark plaster. I was talking to our hot tub man the other day and he was mentioning a new product to do over the pool form that is longer lasting than what is out there now. Has anyone heard of it? You guys are all amazing, I really appreciate your help, especially the pictures.

• Rack Etear
    15 years ago

There are several product that claim to last longer than plaster. If any I would look into the Hydrazzo, and Durazzo products. Product like Pebble-Tech and Sheen are incredibly cost prohibitive in this area. The only Factory installers are located in Oregon and are incredibly expensive (2.5-3X plaster).

I would stay away from fiberglass coatings on gunite pools.

• gnomes8
    15 years ago

If you are going with a saltwater pool please beware of Saltcells.com. They are horrible. They do not send product, they want their money up front and do not honor their warrantes. At the beginning of these blogs here at GardenWeb there is a blog on them named "Warning about Saltcells.com" The BBB and AG and involved because SO many people have had problems and I am one. Please check the BBB web site as well. Good Luck with your pool. In my opinion Saltwater is the best.