Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumberry_gw

sound system for kitchen

plumberry
10 years ago

We are not technology savvy. DH loves listening to music - via radio. One of the improvements we are making to the kitchen is having some sound system that is user friendly and up to date. I've seen something like an ipod that sits in a speaker box and the sounds was stereo. Can anyone suggest/recommend anything particular?

Comments (18)

• sneezye
    10 years ago

If you're not tech savvy (or really concerned with excellent sound), something like this might work for you. I have had this in each of my last 2 kitchens and I couldn't live without it. The sound is great for what it is and it doesn't take up any counter top space.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sony Under-cabinet radio

• plumberry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

looks like a great option but we don't have any space under cabinet. may consider this for other rooms though - so thank you!!

• mellyc123
    10 years ago

Are you looking for a built in speakers in your ceilings or something simple like a Jawbone bluetooth speaker or Bose sound dock?

You may want to avoid something with a dock, it would depend on how often you plan to upgrade your audio device. I have a Bose Sound dock in a cabinet unused because when I went to buy the adapter I thought it would look stupid and be annoying to use.

That being said, I would buy a new Bose system if music were important to me. It was very simple to use and had a remote also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bose sound dock

• Nattygirl6
    10 years ago

I agree with mellyc123. Use a portable bluetooth speaker or something with an auxiliary input and call it a day. Best thing is, you can use it anywhere. It doesn't have to be limited to the kitchen.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

So with a Bluetooth speaker, I can play music on my iphone or ipad and it will play through the speaker? Sort of like my Bose sounddock (old) but without needing to dock?

• ssdarb
    10 years ago

If you go with Sonos you can have any music or news you want anywhere in the house anytime. I'm listening to the news right now. You can listen to music on pandora, spotify and others, tune into any radio station in the world that broadcasts digitally, listen to your own ripped CDs stored on a network drive. The only thing I want to do that it doesn't do so far is give me pod casts, but I'm hoping they add that to a software update in the future. Also they don't make an outdoor weatherproof speaker yet. If you have music on your ipod, you can play it through the Sonos system also so that you don't have to re-rip all your CD.

I am not technically proficient and even I was able to figure it out. If you wanted to start small you could just get a speaker called a Play 3, there's a controller thing to buy (I think called a Bridge) which hooks into your wireless router. You don't buy the Sonos remote, instead you download the free app and use your iphone or ipod or ipad as the remote. Later, you can add onto it by buying speakers for other areas of the house. If you already have speakers you love you just get a unit that hooks into them and they become part of the system. I really love it.

• ssdarb
    10 years ago

I just looked at the Sonos sight and they added an even smaller speaker, called a Play 1. That and the bridge are about $250. We have a couple of Play 5s, 1 Play 3. I think the Play 1 would be perfect for a bedroom or the kitchen. It would take up very little space on the counter or bedside table.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

I adore my Bose Soundlink Mini. We listen to streaming internet radio - local stations and all sorts of music stations. The Mini can be easily moved around (cordless/rechargeable) and it receives a signal from my computer via Bluetooth.

• Evan
    10 years ago

I have this one. Very similar to the Bose but much cheaper. If you're a real audiophile, the Bose has better sound quality, but I mostly listen to NPR and Podcasts, so this one is just fine. I love that I can take it anywhere in the house, or even out in the yard for parties or yard work. Both the Bose and the Logitech have larger versions as well if you want more volume.

Here is a link that might be useful: Logitech Mini speaker

• ssdarb
    10 years ago

My neighbor has the Bose Mini and loves it too. It has an advantage that it's cordless. My Sonos plugs in. I think there are several competitors in this area, so if you like the idea of a wireless system you can look at Bose, Sonos and a few others.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

"So with a Bluetooth speaker, I can play music on my iphone or ipad and it will play through the speaker? Sort of like my Bose sounddock (old) but without needing to dock?"

Yes! :)

• feisty68
    10 years ago

My husband is really into sound quality so I was surprised that he bought the Bose Mini...until I heard it. The sound is really surprisingly awesome. We use it to play all music in our open concept kitchen/dining/living area. I love that it's so small and flexible. There are lots of showrooms where you can listen to it.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

My DH gave me a B&W system for the kitchen. Awesome sound but occasional drop outs when MW running. I have it in my "cave" on a pull out tray.

• OOTM_Mom
    10 years ago

The Jawbone (uses bluetooth) is small and very portable, and has good sound. Can plug in or use batteries, connects wirelessly to ipods and ipads.

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

Does anyone use Apple Air Play? A while ago, I was trying to compare airplay vs Sonos and I found the comparison frustrating so I gave up and still don't have a system. I like the concept of airplay and Sonos, but it seems to me that with either system, you still need to buy a pricey item for each room you want music, so theres no cost advantage as far as I could tell. Am I missing something?

• calumin
    10 years ago

For radio, things like Pandora, Spotify or iTunes Radio are really a big step up because you can listen to what you want, instead of what the radio station happens to be playing.

If you're not tech-savvy, the best option might be to get an iPod Touch and a dock with speakers, and keep it in your kitchen. As long as you have wireless Internet in your house, you don't need to do much else. The Apple Web site has a number of good systems, and there are reviews on the site.

With an iPod touch, you can use iTunes Radio or any of the other applications - just load it on the device and run the app. Very easy.

I personally have a Sonos which is great and lets you do a lot of additional things, but it can be a bit finicky (e.g. sometimes the Sonos app can't find my speakers, and I have to reset everything manually). While it's not that hard, it's definitely a step up in user-friendliness from an iPod speaker dock.

• RChicago
    10 years ago

We're in the process of remodeling our 60's house, including the kitchen, and will definitely use Sonos. We've bought a few of the book shelf speakers so far. The sound is pretty good and you can easily move them from room to room. A single speaker is adequate for a large bathroom or small kitchen.

In the kitchen remodel, though, I don't want to give up shelf space, so we're going to put the speakers in the ceiling. I'm told that one Sonos unit (not sure what it's called) can connect four speakers. But all four speakers will have to be playing the same thing at the same volume. We think that's fine for our kitchen/dining area.

We had Apple Air Play in our last home and it was glitchy. It may have been the mediocre web connection. In any case, the Sonos interface is much easier to use.

• crampon
    10 years ago

I understand that Sonos is supposed to be the best system for audio quality, expandability, and flexibility, but it's also pretty expensive.

Personally I'm using a Logitech UE Boombox and have been very happy with it. Super easy to use, it has a rechargeable battery so is easy to pick up and take along, and has very good sound quality for the price.

One other possibility: Tivoli makes some nice-looking AM/FM radios with Bluetooth that will let you stream music from a phone or tablet.