Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicky4x4

QOTD for July 1 st

vicky4x4
12 years ago

Is there one technique that you just can't get the hang of and would really like to learn?

I would like to do circles. I someday want to make a Mariners Compass for my daughter who is into nautical themes. I just can not seem to wrap my mind around curved seems.

Comments (4)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Some years ago I bought a Curve Master foot for making drunkard's path blocks...tried it once or twice and couldn't get it, so it went in the drawer and hasn't come out again! LOL I would like to get the hang of that. I also tried one winding ways block with templates I got several years ago, and it didn't come out very well, so I'd like to do that, too.

Sounds like curved piecing is my answer, too! Though I've made several wall hangings with other curved designs and they came out okay.

Donna

• day2day
    12 years ago

I guess this isn't exactly a technique but I want to make a Double Wedding Ring quilt. I have tried this pattern at least 4 times but the narrowed areas of the curved sections defeat me.

Seems like that's a bit of a curved piecing technique too.LOL.

~Geraldine

• lola99
    12 years ago

I can't say I've got the hang of curves, because I'm currently working on my first curved quilt, a Winding Ways pattern. This is also my first hand piecing attempt. So far, it's going pretty well. After I cut all of my pieces I had a few extra, so I tried sewing them together with my machine, just to see how hard/easy that would be. It actually went together very well. I watched the YouTube video below and it really worked out just like in the video. For what it's worth, when hand piecing I pin the curve at the beginning, in the middle, and at the end, but when machine piecing the curve I just pinned the end like in the video. However with my ending pin I went down, up, down, up, so I took 2 "bites" of fabric rather than just one. I read somewhere this was helpful in curved pieces so the fabric doesn't slip at all.

As far as a technique that I would like to learn, I'd like to learn to hand quilt. I've never even tried!

Here is a link that might be useful: curved piecing

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Although I understand most techniques the ones that I continually try and get better with are cutting and pressing. When I have issues it usually goes back to that. For instance: pressing a 8pt star with triangle inserts---what is the best way to press?? Cutting multipul layers without loosing accurate measure??
    I have found that with difficult techniques eg. curves, working with a very slow speed increases accuracy and saves time in the end.