Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patty_cakes_gw

DR turned library....

patty_cakes
16 years ago

I'm getting ready to sell my condo and of course want 'mass appeal'. I have a sitting room off the kitchen/eating area, which is where I have my computer desk, loveseat, and chair/side table, and free-standing corner cabinets.

I presently have a DR table/chairs in the DR, but am wondering if I should set it up as more of a library/study, bringing in the computer, bookcase, and a couple of chairs, getting rid of the DR entirely. Which would seem more logical? The DR overlooks the LR, which is on the entry level. I'm switching the crystal chandlier to something more simple that would/could apply to a library, if that were too be the case.

The only tv is in the LR, behind an armoire. PLEASE don't tell me to put another tv in the sitting room! ;o)

patty_cakes

Comments (6)

• ariadne
    16 years ago

Is there another obvious place where people would eat meals? A bar with bar stools, for instance?

We got a lot of comments when we sold our condo that people were glad to see an actual dining room ... I think a lot of people used the combo LR/DR set up as a huge great room and just used trays or something to eat in front of the TV.

It might be just me, but I prefer seeing at least one area dedicated to eating family meals, sitting down, at a table. If there's not some other room in your place set up for that, I'd leave it as is.

But on the flip side -- it depends on what kind of buyer you want. Small families, couples, single people? Singles might not need/want a separate DR.

• sharon_sd
    16 years ago

Everybody needs somewhere to eat. Not everyone needs an alternate place to read and store books.

A dining room would have more mass appeal.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

having a dining table in the dining room will let people see how big the room is, and whether their own table will fit.

If someone wants a library, or a home office, or some other sort of room, they can figure out that books would fit in the DR.

• xamsx
    16 years ago

Don't change it-

The PO turned the dining room into the media room, the living room into the dining room, and used the family room as the living area. The house was listed when they decided to divorce, and according to their selling agent and the woman next door, people could not wrap their minds around this change. The house sat for the three month contract until they emptied the house of their possessions. They relisted and we bought it that week.

I will say the changes wouldn't have bothered us if we had viewed during the first listing (I spent a LOT of time undoing their "improvements"), but it obviously bothered people enough that no one made an offer the first time it was listed. Sometimes people expect to see what they expect to see.

• triciae
    16 years ago

patty_cakes,

I concur with the rest. I want a specifically designated place to eat. I don't want to balance a plate on my lap or use a TV tray every night. Also, I want to be able to entertain which requires a place for food. A library or home office is a luxury room. A place to eat is considered a necessity by what I believe is the majority of people. So, if this is the condos primary eating area...leave it as with your table & chairs.

Tricia

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I would also say that the benefit gained is not worth the work involved.

People who want to use the dining room for something else wil have the imagination to do so, without you demonstrating it for them.

And if there are two places to eat (the kitchen/eating area, and the dining room), that won't phase people.

But making the DR look like a library--getting bookcases, moving books, changing light fixture--is just not worth it, bcs the payoff is going to be very small.