Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggie_01

Help! 2nd attempt - what color roof should I choose

maggie_01
14 years ago

Changing from shingle to metal. Attaching a link to a photo of the house. Thinking of a light gray similar to the paint color as I believe it would make the house look bigger. What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (13)

• golddust
    14 years ago

What a wonderful house, maggie! Great character. I like the color that is on there now. :+) Does your house really need a new roof? I just can't see metal on it but I may not be up to speed on what metal roofs look like today.

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

I think a light gray would just get "lost". I like the color roof you have now :) It helps sculpt (or define) the lines in your nice home :)
    Monica

• Oakley
    14 years ago

We re-did our roof and now we wish we'd put metal on it. They are so pretty to look at, and home owner's insurance goes down if you install one. Can't wait to see what color you picked out!

• golddust
    14 years ago

For fun, I drug my DH in, who has a degree in art, to show him your house and roof. He said, he'd do a dark color. Dark brown or grey/black. He just can't see a light colored roof of any color on your house. "Cute house," he said, BTW.

His advice is free, so you know what they say about that.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    14 years ago

Maggie, I agree with you. I think gray would be wonderful. I don't see any dark brown in your brick, and the current roof does nothing for your house.

• mclarke
    14 years ago

Here's your pretty house:

I think a dark grey would serve you better than a light grey, and would be easier to keep clean.

And I think you should put shutters on that front window...

{{!gwi}}

• maggie_01
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the input. Yes, the roof is 15 yrs old and we lose shingles after heavy wind storms (we get quite a few here in Alabama). Getting 3 quotes. First person offered colors that included charcoal as well as a burnished slate that I rather liked. Like the idea of the shutter on the front window. What about the trim? Currently it is white and a realtor suggested picking a tan or taupe color from the brick. Roof will be a big investment and I have no intention of changing the grey as we built a 4-level decking system on the back of the house overlooking the lake. Will add 2 more photos of back of house.

• maggie_01
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How do I post the photo on this forum vs. sending you to photobucket?

• golddust
    14 years ago

maggie,

I have the same question. I get the concept but not how to make a legit URL.
    I'm picture trail.

Love the shutter idea. That house has so much charm. I want to buy it!

• mclarke
    14 years ago

Here's how to post photos from your photobucket images -- or from any other site:

1. Put your cursor on the desired photo.

2. Right click.

3. Click on "View Image". The Image will come up alone on the screen.

4. In the command line, you will see an url. (The url is the string of commands that identifies your photo. It usually begins with "http."

5. Move your cursor to the command line and highlight this url.

6. Right click.

7. Click on "copy."

8. Go to your new post.

9. Type in this text string: [img src=] ... EXCEPT! Instead of using square brackets, use angled brackets, like these: . (Note: "img src" stands for image source.)

1. Move your cursor to the immediate right of the equals sign.

2. Right click.

3. Press "Paste". This will paste your url into the Image Source Command. Your whole command will now look like this [img src=http://lh4.ggpht.com/_gb5hBuWZAYU/SgcTfQ-vNyI/AAAAAAAAAZc/9hVRjpLj448/room.jpg] -- EXCEPT that instead of square brackets, you will have angled brackets.

4. Click on "Preview Post". VOILA! Your photo will appear.

There are other methods to do this, but this method works with photobucket AND with any web photo.

Try it!

• les917
    14 years ago

If my monitor is reading correctly, you have grey siding and tan/taupe brick. I would try to find a roof color that marries the two - perhaps the burnished slate that you mentioned would do that?

I would the very lightest color in your brick for the trim color (kind of a light creamy beige, it seems), including the posts on the front porch.

I certainly agree - cute house!

• golddust
    14 years ago

Thanks, m. I think I have done everything right except the symbols. The problem with me is this: I hate to waste peoples' time while I'm learning. I've tried it twice, without those symbols and just feel frustrated, darned while wasting peoples time. So I quit and stand in awe of people who do it right. I've had immense internet experience but in the academic neighborhood. This is fancy.

I'd like to learn to quote people too. Roofs need to be grounding elements, IMO.

• mclarke
    14 years ago

I hate to waste peoples' time while I'm learning.

You can test your attempts by using the "Preview Message" function. You can preview your attempt, and then don't post the final message.

I'd like to learn to quote people too.

This is also done with angle brackets -- these things . Here's how.

1. Highlight the part of the text you'd like to quote.

2. Right click.

3. Click on "copy".

4. Then type two italic commands, like this: [i][/i] -- EXCEPT that instead of square brackets, use angle brackets. You'll notice that the two commands are the same, except that the second command has a slash. The first command starts the italic, then second command ends it.

5. Place your cursor between the two italic commands.

6. Right click.

7. Click on "Paste". This will paste your text between the italic commands. The command will look like this: [i]I'd like to learn to quote people too.[/i] EXCEPT that you will have angle brackets, not square brackets.

8. Click on "Preview Message".

9. You will now see your italics, like this: I'd like to learn to quote people too.

This system also works with underscore commands (use a "u") and boldface commands (use a "b") and strikeout commands (use a "s").