Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gr8daygw

My expensive new bathroom is ugly

gr8daygw
12 years ago

I am attempting to cross post this as it is in the bathrooms forum hopefully I am doing this correctly, if not you can see the photos by going to bathroom forum and seeing the photos under the same topic.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg0620335822535.html?34

I would like to know your thoughts on what color of paint,or paper, vanity top. The space is not finished yet and is at a halt until I can resolve some of the issues. I do want to point out that it looks a LOT better in the pictures than in person, : / The tile is far more busy than I was expecting and seems it may even be from all different lots. The tile clashes with the paper and the shower material.. I'm so sad at how this is turning out. It's not very pretty in person, looks better in the photos. I love a pretty look not the masculine look I'm ending up with. I've adjusted to the tile but want to optimize what we have at this point. The paper WILL come down but what do put back up and what color is a dilemma and what top to put on the vanities. There are 5 foot surface areas on each vanity top. Thank you so very much.

Here is a link that might be useful: My expensive new bathroom is ugly

Comments (12)

• graywings123
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Just throwing out an idea: remove the wall paper and replace with a creamy white paint on the walls. Maybe paint the ceiling a dramatic gold or gray.

• les917
    12 years ago

Lots of great elements, a few that I would change. Overall it is a wonderful space, and from someone whose larger bathroom is about 8x15, I envy you!

I think darker countertops would be good, something close to the color of the walls in the shower.

The wallpaper has to go - it fights with the stone. You say that the paper matches the paint color in the bedroom, so why not just paint the bathroom walls the same color as the bedroom, or a shade lighter or darker? No need to re-do the bedroom at all - I think that is a panic reaction.

I would certainly consider antiquing the cabinets to take away the stark white feeling. I think that will pull them in with the feel of all the stone/tile nicely.

I would change the hardware on the cabinets to an ORB or even wrought iron, once you have antiqued the cabinets. Or consider using crystal knobs set on darker metal, if you want to up the feminine factor.

Find a more 'feminine' accent color for your towels and rugs and have some of that color in the art on the walls. Perhaps a coral or rich turquoise or an eggplant or plum.

• natal
    12 years ago

Simply removing that wallpaper and painting the walls will make a huge impact.

• abundantblessings
    12 years ago

The floor and baseboards are wonderful! It's amazing how varied natural stone is, and it's a look many celebrate. I think once you bring this together you will too. I agree with Les that your frustration with the bath is causing you to panic a bit. If you're happy with your bedroom colors, I certainly wouldn't change it to match the new bathroom.

You've received good feedback on the bathroom forum and I almost posted my suggestions there last night but life interrupted. As you now know, the undertone of both wallpapers and their busy movement don't play nicely with the stone. While I love wallpaper and mix it with stone in our home, in your case I'd let the stone be the star and find a soothing neutral paint to pull the disparate colors together. Rather than going down the endless paint sample route which can be arduous, you could find a piece of fabric, paper or dish, etc that works well with the stone and then have the paint store computer match it. (That's actually how I chose our kitchen cabinet color when our cabinetmaker did not have a good white despite a dozen selections. I brought him a bowl and he had it matched perfectly.) You may want to have the vents painted to match the walls. Greywings' suggestions for a glam ceiling could help lower the ceiling a bit if that's still your concern, but I'd probably stick with a pale gold or silver. Not that I wouldn't do a deep tone in a smaller space, but my fear is that a dark silver would make the room cold and a dark gold would be out of place with your other metals unless you unify them as I'll suggest later. You could also paint the ceiling the same as the walls or vary a shade or two lighter or darker. If you stick with white ceilings, maybe choose a white like BM Atrium White which has a touch of pink or Pittsburgh Paints' Atrium White which is a bit warmer. I'd not chose a stark or blue white.

One good thing about the clear glass shower doors is that it will help make the dark shower walls less contrasty. I know its clear, but it's surprising how much effect the glass will have. Hopefully you ordered the chrome hinges and handle as I think you may want to stick with the look of your new tub faucets.

Based on my monitor and my preferences, I'd paint the cabinets a creamier, warmer white to tone down their starkness against the tile and to blend better with your new countertops, but IRL the existing color may be fine. You'll have a better idea once you decide on the wall color. I'd either frame the mirror in beveled mirror strips or select an art frame to soften that expanse. You can check ebay and on-line stores if your local selection is limited for some different vanity lights, either more in keeping with the shape of the chandelier or more simple and less obtrusive. Perhaps I'd silver leaf the chandie and add shades and/or crystals since it will no longer compete with the wallpaper. If so, then I'd keep any metal on the vanity lights silver. Since you went with chrome fixtures, continue with chrome for the lav faucets.

I tend to think of the cabinets knobs as jewelry and usually change them last. But I absolutely would not change the countertops in this case until the major other components, i.e., the paint on the walls, ceiling and the cabinets, were in place. I'd need to really see how the light, both artificial and natural, plays in the room and sometimes it just takes a while to really sense what will work best, so don't be in a hurry to change the tops.

I'd also have made a decision on framing the mirrors. Though you'd want to actually have the frames installed after the counters are changed, it would be helpful to have a sample ready to place against the various top ideas, particularly if you don't go with the beveled mirror frames. I think the crema marfil, Botticino Classico or some other light neutral might be lovely, but again you have to remember the undertones and pick your specific slab carefully. The polished version of your floor would look splendid also if you can locate a slab without a lot of fill. I would definitely not bring in more of the tropic brown which will look too heavy, too speckled and is the wrong tone against the marble. The good news is that you can take your time and bring home lots of stone samples to see which would work best before committing.

Think of this as a mere hiccup, take your time and you will turn this into a beautiful space.

• User
    12 years ago

The wallpaper. It's definitely the wallpaper. It has a pattern and a yellowish undertone that's fighting with the cooler grey tones and the patterns of the marble.

Before you start throwing money at countertops and refinishing cabinets, get rid of the wallpaper and bring in some colors based on the tiles.

You have the start for a sophisticated bathroom done in white and greys with accents of strong jeweltones.

• forhgtv
    12 years ago

I like everything that Les has suggested. Added to that, I would suggest that you could change out the wall-to-wall mirror for Venetian mirrors to add even more femininity.

• gr8daygw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow!!! Great advice! I plan to do all that everyone has suggested especially holding up on choosing the vanity tops until I get the paper down. I was ready to just settle on something as I have pretty much visited every granite place in town and fear I am becoming a nuisance! I really love all of the suggestions and plan to incorporate them as best as I can. I agree that the white cabinets need to be creamier. That would solve some of the startling appearance of them and make them look richer. Would love to have them refaced in an espresso but can't do that right now. I had a bid for an additional $5800 just for refacing. Maybe in the future... I am so glad that you told me not to do more tropic brown on the vanities. I was to the point of just doing that since I've got all of these sample pieces of granite/marble and from all over town and nothing really looks right. Tropic isn't really what I'd like to do for an elegant bathroom but was just going to settle. Thanks to everyone for the great advice and thank you especially to abundantblessings for the detailed advice on all elements. I plan on adhering to your great plan of attack. Yes, all of the future facets and glass door hardware will be in chrome.

• abundantblessings
    12 years ago

Don't worry about being a nuisance. And definitely don't settle. Depending on what part of the country you are, you may be able to go directly to the wholesalers to view more choices. When we built and, come to think of it, even when we've renovated, I've driven a couple hours to view stones and then had my fabricator handle the rest. Welcome to the world of design obsessed folks!

Best of luck and enjoy the process!

• gr8daygw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! I needed that pep talk. I feel bad going to the granite places, have them help me and then not purchasing but also don't want to throw good money after bad either. I did find a beautiful piece of granite called Colonial Gold, I know it sounds awful with all the other things but it's not really gold it's more of the colors in the floor. It's so pretty but still not sure if it's the right choice.

Abundantblessings, I have driven all over our city and the last place told me to go to their supplier and look at their graveyard where they send all their remnants. It's probably about 2 hours away, too. I'll keep looking! Can't wait till the paper is all gone!

• enduring
    12 years ago

I'd like you to post pictures of the place with the paper gone. It would be nice to see the stone under these conditions.

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

Not ugly. I agree with the others-- removing just the paper will be a huge difference. With the right paint color, you will have an elegant, feminine bath.

• gr8daygw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

just an update on the expensive ugly bathroom. I have FINALLY made a decision on the granite and am just home from painfully parting with another $1000 50% deposit check. It's a compromise that just may work out and I actually like it. It is called "Cafe Imperial". It's a brown granite similar to the color of the fake granite in the shower. The thing is it's about 100 x's more beautiful. It has chips of quartz or something that look like Mother of Pearl is embedded in it. I only hope my slab is as pretty as the sample I have. I saw the slab but you know it was standing upright and it's hard to tell. I also ordered 22 square chrome Swarovski crystal knobs. They look sort of Deco. I admit, I like the glam look but absolutely NOT frou frou. Restrained elegance I suppose you might say. Anyway, my big dilemma now is getting the paint for vanities straightened out. The sample doors that the contractor has are just too dark for it to still look white. I would like an off white but not that dark. The two we have tried are gull by Martha Stewart and Aesthetic White SW and a cream color that almost looks a little too yellow, too dark.

Thank you all for your many helpful suggestions. I will post finished pics when I finally get this bear wrestled to the ground. In the meantime do any of you know of an off white paint that isn't so dark that it's a whole other color? I just want a softer version of a true white cabinet, has to be cabinet grade paint. Also, the shower glass is finally up and wallpaper is down. Link attached.

Here is a link that might be useful: photo update on new materials