Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suevani

Mattress higher or lower than nightstand: which boxspring?

suevani
13 years ago

I have just ordered a new king sized bed and mattress. We now must decide whether we want the standard box spring (9 inches)or the low profile box spring (5.5 inches). The headboard is quite high/tall (60.5 inches) and certainly can accommodate the standard box spring. I am wondering if a mattress is supposed to be higher or lower than the night stands? Or does it not matter? The nightstand is 28.5 inches tall. The mattress with the standard box spring will be 32.5 inches tall, and with the low profile box spring it will be 29 inches tall. My current mattress is about 30.5 inches tall. Any opinions?

Comments (11)

• OKMoreh
    13 years ago

It's most convenient if the top of the nightstand is very close to the level of the mattress. although an inch or two doesn't matter much.

Right now, with a new mattress and a low-profile box spring, my bed is about three inches higher than the nightstand, and I'm looking for a way to raise the nightstand.

With the numbers you provided, I'd choose the low-profile box spring.

• rafor
    13 years ago

Here's a hint if you are planning on using a bedskirt: The lower profile might make the skirt drag on the floor. We got the regular boxsprings, but with our thick carpeting, the skirt was still a smidge long. I imagine if we had opted for the low profile, the skirt would have been way too long.

• laney250
    13 years ago

We have the standard box springs with pillow top mattress. Our bed frames then raised the beds even higher. So the top of my mattresses our about my hip heighth (I am 5'8)
    Our traditional nightstands were too low. As a temporary solution we used Buffet lamps for lighting, but had to reach for the alarm clock, etc. I now use an old secretary desk as my nightstand now (it does not have a roll top) and it is the perfect heighth. However it is a treck to get in and out of bed without a stool. Just something to consider, not sure if you were also using a standard mattress or a pillowtop.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

This is a subject that comes up quite often as it is a challenge. If you do go with the standard, then sometimes using a plant stand height side table works best. There are steps to accommodate high beds, I have one in my master bedroom and use it all the time to get in since I have a tall bed and high mattress. The height for me has been good as I have a bad back so being in an already standing position when I get out of bed creates less strain on my back. I now have to buy deep-pocket sheets for the mattress too.

• suevani
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for responding. The mattress is a pillowtop with a depth of 16 inches. With this particular bed frame, the box spring starts 7.5 inches off the floor. This is how I calculated the 32.5 inch mattress height with the standard box spring and 29 inch mattress height with the low profile.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    13 years ago

It's pretty easy to hem a bedskirt, and it's a one time chore. Having to reach uncomfortably and look at something "off" everyday will go on forever.
    IMO get the low one.

• jerseygirl_1
    13 years ago

Our Guest Bedroom has a low profile box spring. I think it's perfect. The reason why we chose the low profile was to accomodate my mother and mother-in-law. The night stands are proportioned to the bed.

We did not have to worry about the Master Bedroom since our box-spring is part of the bed.

• cliff_and_joann
    13 years ago

We made new night stands for our bedroom, and I fussed
    over the height as well. I asked for help here and
    got some good advise. Our new stands are about 3 1/2"
    inches higher than our mattress. I love the higher night stands.
    We went from low to high and high is better.
    Joann

• Doreen Diego
    6 years ago
    I would not go with low profile unless the style bed you bought - one that doesn't require a box spring, an IKEA type bed etc., dictates that. a standard nightstand is 30 inches tall. if you have a tall headboard, poster bed, or anything similiar, a low profile box spring makes the mattress look out of proportion to the headboard and cheapens it. Based on your numbers I WOULD NOT go low profile.
  • PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    6 years ago

I have to assume that the mattress was purchased seven years ago - what size did you end up with? I have a platform bed without box springs, and so I am unable to adjust my bed height. I now have a very thick mattress, and I hate the height of my bed, although it is not much higher than my night stand, which is 29" high. My next mattress will not be nearly as thick.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm