Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susans02_gw

I'm losing sleep - I need someone w/a vision - plans inside (pic)

susans02
18 years ago

We're extending our family room and kitchen area - we're sold on the kitchen part - we just want to make sure we get the windows right on the family room adition. We currently have a 19x14 family room with a fireplace on the long wall. We're thinking of creating a 2 sided fireplace from the existing one and breaking down the walls on both sides of the fireplace to connect the 2 rooms. The back wall of the new room will be all windows - currently w/a finished space of 6 inches apart. Do you think it'll look too busy with 5 sets of windows across the back wall w/6 inches of drywall in between? DH wants a room full of windows - is there a better choice for the window config?

Comments (11)

• jasper_60103
    18 years ago

Wouldn't look too busy to me. Lots of windows would be awsome for the sunroom. Of course, the style and size is a factor well. But I think the wall of windows would bring in lots of light and provide a view if thats the end goal? -jasper

• oruboris
    18 years ago

I'm one of those people who would probably build my whole house out of windows if I could, so I like this room very much...

BUT: you didn't mention the exposure. If its west, I might reconsider...

• susans02
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The house faces North - so the back (where the room will be) gets a lot of morning light but is shaded in the afternoon - sun hits the front of the house in the afternoon. DH thinks that having 5 tall windows side by side (with 6inches of drywall in between) might look to busy. I think he's thinking of wanting to do a series of wider windows. THe reason that the builder did this though was to match the 2 windows that are in the exisiting family room. The contractor already got the structural plans for the 5 windows (have to put steel poles in between each window). We'll have no wall space to think of though- only place for a TV would be above the fireplace.

• sharon_sd
    18 years ago

"only place for a TV would be above the fireplace"

I Would really think this one through. Do you want to be looking up that high at the TV? If you use the fireplace will the electronics be harmed by the heat?

• susans02
    Original Author
    18 years ago

DH isn't too concerend with not having a tv in there since there already is one in a big armoire in the current FR. He wants an "adult" part of the FR that we can entertain in while kids are in the other part of the room - or have a TV going on in the existing FR while on the other side of the fireplace there can can be conversation or music. Right now our FR is one rectangle - no place to sit/converse w/o being in front of the TV. I asked him to call tweeters or Circuit City to look into the reality of putting a plasma over a fireplace. Thanks!

• chuckr
    18 years ago

I think it would look nice. An alternative to the narrow strips of drywall would be to trim out the windows as a unit. Without seeing how you trim the rest of the house windows, hard to say if thats appropriate.

Also, if you do have a window wall, remember to check on -and meet - shear/uplift requirements if you live in a 'lively' area - high winds for example. The more openings, the more this matters. The fixes aren't real expensive, but it was my experience - in my locale - that the builders weren't conscientious about this type of detailing. From what I understand, in quake areas, they are because the building inspectors are.

chuckR

• susans02
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Chuck - thanks - they are pretty strict about window wall requirements - our contractor was telling us that they were required to put steel beams in between each window for support. I've thought of putting molding in between the windows - I think I might do that. I have traditional 4 inch molding around each window and lots of crown molding. Thanks!

• varenovator
    18 years ago

Needing steel beams between windows sounds pretty crazy to me. We put in triple windows (three windows side by side with no drywall between them) in our renovation with no problems.

• evaperconti
    18 years ago

Have you looked into commercial windows? I'm envisioning something like storefront windows instead of the individual ones. Floor to ceiling. If you have a great view, it would be awesome to see it through that type of window!

I'd also recommend some sort of solar shade on whatever you choose.

• chuckr
    18 years ago

varenovator
    using steel columns may be necessary to support the band joist. we don't know if Susan has something heavy above - brick veneer, tiled bathroom, other ?

the columns may satisfy a bearing requirement, not uplift or shear - extra detailing which may or may not be required depending on Susan's location and local code

chuckR

• disneyrsh
    18 years ago

Everything I've read says that plasma tv's should never be hung over the fireplace and it will shorten their life significantly.

Plus, trying to watch tv in a room full of windows is a waste of time.

Will you leave the windows bare or cover them up with shades of some sort? If you're going to cover them, then maybe not have as many in the first place?

I'm one of those formerly window loving people until I had a sunroom with windows on 3 sides connecting to the eat in kitchen. Got really, really tired of getting blasted by the sun constantly, and now this current house has much fewer windows.

Just something to consider...