Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
murphy_zone7

QOTD Quilt Retreat Thoughts

murphy_zone7
13 years ago

Hi...

Have you been on a quilt retreat? Did you have fun or declare "never again"? Why? What do you wish you had taken? Left at home? Would do differently next time? What kind of project did you take? One fairly easy that could be done without a lot of thought or a complex one that needs more focus? I am thinking 40 ladies quilting together might cause some distractions...LOL.

Going on my first ever quilt retreat in about three weeks with my guild. Already know that all bags, suitcases, "stuff" needs to be the rolling kind! Don't want to do no heavy lifting/carrying...LOL Just wondered what your thoughts/observations about retreats were.

Your quilting online friend,

Murphy

Comments (17)

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

I am sooooo looking forward to our Forum Retreat to Camp Cheerio next weekend!! I've also been on retreats with my quilting buddies and retreats arranged by my guild. They are really a lot of fun, you get to know your fellow quilters better, and you can get a lot accomplished on your projects if that is what you want.

What you take depends on what kind of transportation you are taking to the retreat site. If you are driving you have the option of taking more than one machine and like some, you can take a major amount of your stash/sewing room with you! One friend takes all of her thread with her and another takes a van so she can literally take most of her stash to a retreat!

Check to see if there will be the following provided: cutting mat, rulers, iron/ironing board, design wall. Or make it easy on yourself and cut out your projects before you go. Put each project in a separate zip bag that will lie flat in your suitcase. Double check that you have your directions/magazine/book for each project. Photo copy the book directions or print off on-line pages to lessen the weight.

Double check that you have the following:

~ machine foot pedal
    ~ machine cords
    ~ extension cord for power
    ~ extra rotary cutter blades
    ~ extra machine needles
    ~ your machine feet
    ~ your machine manual!
    ~ a bag of sewing notions

Teresa

• grammyp
    13 years ago

Good list Teresa. I didn't think about my manual, and forgot to pack my extension cord.

What you take will also depend on if there will be "classes" or if you just bring what you want to work on. I have never been to a retreat that had official "classes" scheduled. I just pack my projects one at a time and make sure I have everything I need for each as I pack it. I have a box for all my rotary cutters, scissors, pins ... just to keep them together.

Depending on where the retreat is, you may want a small fan for your personal comfort. Forty people and machines in one room can create some heat. A cushion for your chair may also be handy.

You may also want a small ironing surface and iron for pressing seams if the ironing board will be far away from you. Also, a small cutting mat to keep on your table for trimming pieces may be nice.

I also take a collapsible laundry rack to put by my work area and hang my projects on.

beverly

• nannykins
    13 years ago

A very timely question!
    And everything in the two posts above pretty much says it all.
    I just returned from a retreat with my sister's group which meets every week to make Chemo quilts. This is their second year "retreating" and I was lucky to be invited.
    Monday to Thursday of solid sewing. Lots of sharing of patterns, ideas and tips. And friendship!
    Our meals were catered but we all brought treats to share, and even brought things to donate, books, material anything crafty.
    Well worth it!

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

This will be my first year going to the Camp Cheerio retreat and I am really looking forward to it. I have gone to the Quilters of South Carolina fall retreat for several years and always enjoy that. I think besides the friendship, I enjoy learning new things and sewing and I really enjoy not having to worry about cooking meals for several days in a row! Lazy. Right? LOL
    Anyway with QCS we always have very good teachers and many classes to choose from and I always seem to take at least two classes. Then there are planned programs on Friday and Saturday evening. This is a large retreat with about 300 quilters.
    I can't help a lot with the list of what you might want to bring. We usually get a supply list for what to bring for each of our classes. The only thing I ever regretted not bringing was one time I forgot to bring a seam ripper. Would you believe I sewed extra carefully and did not need one? However, now I always try to make sure I have that packed! I guess another suggestion might be to pack some hand lotion. Sometimes handling all that fabric can make your hands very dry.
    Have fun!

• buteau3rd
    13 years ago

My first year also, and I'm pretty excited to put faces to the names that I have been reading for a while. My project will be a scrappy one. Didn't want to do anything that needed too much concentration.

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

And, you should definitely bring a sense of humor. Be prepared to have trouble sewing because you are laughing so hard!

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

sigh..... You guys sure do make it rough on us that can't make it!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

I've been on a couple retreats. The first ones were ok. It was like a big bunk house with a kitchen and great room combined. We did our own cooking and dishes, etc and I didn't like that taking time away from sewing even though everyone contributed and it was less expensive. Camp Cheerio was awesome! Walking to and from the dining hall was the worst part.....DH finally ended up driving me as I have bad hips and knees. You youngsters won't have a problem with it.

I really like the way Jen and the others set up this retreat. Instead of making the whole retreat about one pattern, mini classes and learning techniques are fun to do. Plus, just being able to get away to do whatever you want to do, meeting cyber quilters you haven't physically met before and re-meeting those you have, what a fellowship!....even my DH enjoyed it and remembers who is who when I talk about them!

You'll come away from the retreat knowing you'll want to go back the next year. @:)

SharonG/FL-IN

• murphy_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for the lists. I would not have thought of a seam ripper or the cushion! Or my machine manual, it never fails that I need to look up something I KNOW this machine will do, and I can't remember how to make it do it. LOL
    I am really looking forward to this retreat, will post and let you know how it goes. Hope you will too after the Camp Cheerio retreat.
    Murphy

• gininmn
    13 years ago

I think I have what I need but I will see. Packed in a real hurry and we've been on the road for one week. I couldn't find materials for my retreat projects. Finally found that inside of a out-of-the-way container where I'd put them aside when I cleaned up my messy sewing room 2 months ago. Of course, in the meantime I ended up with more new containers on top. Like they say, if I don't have it, I don't need it. Looking forward to meeting everyone at Camp Cheerio tomorrow afternoon. Simple projects for a simple quilter. Hope to get at least one mostly pieced.

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

I started gathering my projects last night: Bubbles quilt, swappers' star blocks, Louisiana blocks, HSTs to play Left-Right-Center, and I might bring my little Cricket loom with a scarf on it.

Teresa

• jennifer_in_va
    13 years ago

I have enough projects packed for EVERYBODY at retreat!!! No one will sit idle (unless they want too) LOL

The car is packed! Computer bag, lunch and duffle bag go in in the morning.

So, that leaves me plenty of time tonight to quilt the quilt sitting on the frame! I really want to bring it to show off! (Remember last year when I quilted a twin-sized the night before? Why not make it 'tradition'!)

Safe travels everyone!

• jennifer_in_va
    13 years ago

quilt is done...I ccan go to bed now!!!

• nannykins
    13 years ago

Hope you all have a great time!
    Will be anxious to see pictures.

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

And, make a list at retreat of what you wished you'd have brought along and didn't. Then don't lose the list before next year.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Sorry, Ms ToolGranny, but those things happen. You'll remember where it is and what was on the list when you get there. @:) Are you on the way yet?

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

I suggest TAKING a list of what you brought, so you bring home all YOUR things. I learned to take a list of the rulers I take to classes, and anything else out of the ordinary (like paper scissors) and write your name on everything.
    It gets confusing when you have exactly the same notions, rulers,etc-- walking around, chatting, loaning, borrowing.....you get the idea. I learned that a short check off list when packing my stuff back up very helpful.