Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pps7_gw

coffee table (lots of pics)

pps7
12 years ago

Restoration Hardware is having a sale this weekend and we are thinking of taking the plunge and purchasing the coffee table linked below. I know many here don't like RH, but the parts of the table that appeal to me is the use of salvaged wood, the size, and the mix of iron and wood. We have used salvaged wood throughout our open floor plan. The open shelves in the kitchen are salvaged elm. The dining table is salvaged teak and the mantle is salvaged oak.

These pics are old and not the best but hopefully will give a feel for the space. We are getting a new sofa, loveseat and chair soon so disregard those items. The only thing staying in the family room is the rug and tv stand (for now).

Fireplace actually looks like this now with this mirror:

What do you guys think? The style we are going for is contemporary country with a bit of rustic. I love Sarah Richardson's stuff!

I like this table too, but I think I will tire of it.

http://restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1669001&categoryId=cat1544013

Here is a link that might be useful: RH Dutch industrial table

Comments (26)

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago

I love the table but have seen them for considerably less at HomeGoods. Here are a couple of links:
    http://blackdogsalvage.blogspot.com/2010/03/rustic-industrial-barnwood-coffee-table.html

http://shopping.sierralivingconcepts.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=163917&c=200628&i=251388175

http://www.etsy.com/listing/67329840/the-bargeboard-coffee-table?ref=sr_gallery_4&ga_includes[0]=tags&ga_search_query=reclaimed+wood+coffee+table&ga_ref=related&ga_page=1&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=

http://www.etsy.com/listing/76867344/reclaimed-wood-and-upcycled-pipe-coffee?ref=sr_gallery_5&ga_includes[0]=tags&ga_search_query=reclaimed+wood+coffee+table&ga_ref=related&ga_page=1&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=

• htnspz
    12 years ago

Looking at your dining and kitchen, it is a good match.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I think it would look great. Do you love it?
    Sometimes little details make the difference between a great table and one from Home Goods and I am a true Home Goods shopper.

• htnspz
    12 years ago

I saw the Home Goods one recently, it was around $299 btw.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

I like it and I think it would look perfect in your space.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I like the table and think it would look great in your space. Have you considered getting a piece of wood for your current table in place of the glass? That could work, too.

I LOVE your floors, btw. fantastic. Also, your kitchen is wonderful. What color is that on the walls? It is perfect.

All in all, marvelous space and I can't wait to see the pics when you have finished the family room makeover!

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

I say yes - it's perfect for your space!

That's my fave RH coffee table. I almost took the plunge and bought it when RH had its last sale, but even the small one is a bit too large for my space.

DH does some welding and says he can make a smaller version of this table for a lot less $$ so that's the plan for now. If he hasn't made it by the time RH has its next sale though, the RH one is mine!

• dakota01
    12 years ago

I think it seems a little "light" for the weight of your furniture. But, I think having a table w/the reclaimed or reclaimed look would really work w/your other pieces.
    I was just at Arhaus today, and they had some very pretty reclaimed pieces - even a large sofa table/consol.

• alicate
    12 years ago

I'm not sure about the table, but where did you get your chandelier? I have been looking for a few months for something exactly like that will the swoopy things underneath. Thanks!

• les917
    12 years ago

I think the table is okay, but nothing really interesting for the money. Hard to say for sure, too, because we don't know what your new seating is going to look like. That matters.

Also, what are you doing for side tables and lamps?

One other thing that occurred to me. Have you considered swapping out the living room and dining room rugs? I think that pop of color from the rug in the DR would be great, and the pattern would work under a table.

You have a lovely home - feels very open and restful.

• arcy_gw
    12 years ago

LOVE your space!! What you have done with it is beautiful. I cannot get a feel for the scale of said coffee table. Right off it strikes me as too small, you need it much larger than the one you currently have IMHO. I would second the rug swap, not only for color but size.

• roarah
    12 years ago

I like the table and it would work fine but you home is so personal and unique and I do not think of RH that way but rather think of it as more common and mass produced. For close to that price I wonder if you might be able to have a custom reclaimed table made.
    I have not seen him in years, but I went to school with this artisan, Jeff Soderberg, who makes reclaimed pieces his work is wonderful and I have no idea what it costs, TBH might be way to expensive,but might be worth a look. Your Lovely home reminded me of his work.
    http://www.jeffsoderbergh.com/m/_general/default.asp

• noellabelle
    12 years ago

LOVE your home! I think it would look great in there. Your house has such a warm, comfortable, and at the same time incredibly stylish feel.

• pps7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the feedback!

I am a regular homegoods shopper, but I haven't seen the table there. I will stop by this weekend before I puchase the RH table. We have a Arhaus close by and I'm going to look there too. I've linked another table below from a local furniture shop. This one may be a bit TOO industrial/rustic but I will go look at it. What do you guys think?

There are a lot of nice, less expensive alternatives, but most of them are alot smaller too. home decoraters has a nice bakers table for $370-but it's quite narrow.

http://www.homedecorators.com/detail.php?parentid=0105600&search=0105600&suggest=11&sItem=03289

I do think the space needs a bigger table than the one I currently have. The RH one is 12" longer and 12" wider.

Les and arcy, I agree the dining room needs a little pop of color and a little something to jazz it up. I can't swap the rugs b/c the family room rug is a high quality wool from india and that is our only dining space in the whole house, we use it every day. My son is a messy eater and I don't want to stress over spilling somehting on the rug. But I will eventually replace the rug with an indoor/outdoor one with color and pattern and will go for 11' instead of the 10' I have now. The seagrass is so darn easy to clean, it's hard to give it up. In the mean time, I'm thinking of painting the dining room/family room white and adding wall paper to the wall with the built in hutch. Or maybe white painted tin ceiling tile as a backslash. We also eventually want to add wood beams to the family room ceiling and I've bought salvaged corbels that I want to put somewhere.

I'm meeting with a designer next month. Hopefully she will help me choose a sofa and 3-4 fabrics to jazz up the space. The new sofas will be less traditional and more transitional. I love the way sarah richardson mixes fabrics. I hope to put in fabric roman shades in the family room, and new slipcovers for the dining room parson's chairs. Always a work in progress:)

cyn427, the wall color in the kitchen is BM gray wisp.
    alicate, the chandelier is from ethan allen.

Here is a link that might be useful: rustic table

• les917
    12 years ago

If you haven't selected the couch or couches yet, don't buy the table. You may end up with something very different than you are thinking of at the moment, and then you are stuck with a very expensive table that doesn't work.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

What Les said. Wait.

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

I was to give the same advice as Les before I even read hers. Pick the seating first. While the style would work, as others have mentioned the scale may not and you need to have selected the sofa, loveseat, and/or chairs first.

• itltrot
    12 years ago

Your home is amazing. I love all the rooms I've seen posted.

I agree with Les and the others to wait on the coffee table until the couch/sofa/chairs are purchased. RH will always have another sale probably for Labor day and that's only 2 months away.

But I do think it's a good look for the rest of your home.

• pps7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the great advice; We decided to wait. I did take advantage of the sale and purchase the laguana fire table for our patio-cannot wait til fall.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but 2 quick questions:

Can someone recommend a tea kettle? And what color kettle would you get: red or apple green? I'm leaning towards the kitchen aid kettle but it gets bad reviews. I won't be using it daily, it's more for occasional use.

Second, what style sofa do you imagine there? We hate the current one b/c it's too traditional. We also hate the fact that the pillows don't hold their shape. So I'm looking for one that's perhaps a tightback. Not sure about the color either. Any advise? I've looked through magazines and all of the homes that are our style have white sofas which is not practical for a family at all.

Here are a few from a local furniture shop we are considering (I'm sorry but I don't know how to imbed the pics):

http://www.phillipsfurniture.com/images/productimages/Martin%20Sofa%20g560%20in%20template.jpg

http://www.phillipsfurniture.com/pro-625-1-JillyCustomSofa

http://www.phillipsfurniture.com/images/productimages/267_turner%20sofa%20jl%20in%20template.jpg

http://www.phillipsfurniture.com/images/productimages/avery%20in%20template.jpg

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

I love your house. Have not been here for a long time but I remember your space!

Glad you waited on the table. Really like it but agree sofas should come first.

I can see what you mean re: traditional, but at the same time, I don't think you should get sofas that are too structured. I would love something sort of luxurious like the velvet you posted (though maybe something a little less structured) along with an industrial table. Too structured = too cold to me. It would be neat to see some sort of balance between those elements.

I am in love with your fireplace. I'd take all cues from there . . .maybe even something in leather.

• pps7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bump!

Any other thoughts? I think I'm leaning towards the Avery (I linked it below)- b/c I want a tightback this time. But it's only 80" wide-that's 4 fewer inches that the current one. Maybe it will feel too small?

I like that it not too square and add a little softness to the space, but still has modern legs and clean lines. Not sure about doing a T-cushion again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Avery sofa

• loribee
    12 years ago

LOVE that Avery sofa!! Exactly what I would choose!

• roarah
    12 years ago

I really like the sofa. When I replaced my very long and deep sofa with one that was 10inches smaller I was worried I would miss the extra length but it turns out the seats are the same length and the lost inches were from the arms not seating and with the smaller length i have been able to add side table which I love having. I think from looking at both sofas I think your arms are each at least 2inches larger than the Avery so it is not that much "smaller" in size just smaller in bulk.

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

Wow your floors are all gorgeous. I absolutely love that blue rug. It's really heavy though compared to all of the other elements in your room. I look forward to seeing how you balance the dark colors with the rest of the decor!

I'm planning to get a seagrass rug soon but I was told they "shed". I need something I can WASH, as in, take it outside and use a hose on it, lol. Does it shed? Thanks!

• always1stepbehind
    12 years ago

I'd wait till you decide on sofas. Especially if you are leaning toward the style you posted a link to. That style would look good with your current table...both are lighter looking...

IMO, the RH table is very heavy looking...

• pps7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cindyloo, the seagrass does not shed and it's very easy to maintain, but you can't hose it down. They make great indoor/outdoor rugs these days that you may want to look at instead.

I've linked another sofa we are considering.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kenton Arhaus sofa