Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenva2010

Paint color to tone down peach floors?

jenva2010
12 years ago

Our sunroom has hideous peach tile flooring. I think it's supposed to look like terra cotta, but since the previous owner's window shades and wall colors are peach, the floor looks really, really peach. We can't afford to replace the floor, but I am getting new window treatments and repainting. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what colors might tone down the peach (or at least not emphasize it).

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• jenva2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, roarah. Chocolate brown is a definite possibility. There aren't any furnishings right now -- just construction materials from the DIY stuff we're doing in other rooms. Once we get it cleared out and painted, it will be a playroom -- so some white shelves, a wood easel, every Clone War toy ever made, and a bunch of other toys, too. Pretty much any wall color would work, but once we move all the toys in there, we aren't repainting for at least a decade. Maybe more -- when it comes time to transition from a playroom back to a sunroom, we'll probably just buy stuff that goes with whatever the paint color is.

• dawn25
    12 years ago

I have that faux terra cotta tile, and we painted our living areas green, specifically BM Hiking Path, which is a warm olive green. The tile I absolutely hated and wanted to rip out has now become part of my decor and I love it. The green really toned down the pink. When I was choosing my color, I painted foam core boards and held them next to the tile to see how they played together. Definitely try warm tones, and based on my experience, think about greens.

• roarah
    12 years ago

ooh a kids room! I think maybe brown will be too dark than how about a complimentary color like a blue or green. Brighter and works well with peach or coral.

• htnspz
    12 years ago

I have to disagree with the suggestion for a green paint. Green is on the other side of the color wheel and what that will do is intensify the peach tone in the tile.
    I would just do a nice warm neutral color.

• jenva2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!

• sis2two
    12 years ago

I have the same problem that you do in our mudroom and have also decided to do green. Probably a light shade of green in a gray green since the tile has some gray in it. I have found that a yellow green does not look good with my particular tile. The two colors that I am looking at is ancient marble by SW and camouflage by BM. Good luck!

• zaara10
    12 years ago

We turned our sunroom into a playroom too. We have hardwood floors, so we are doing SW humble gold (warm yellow). W/ peach floors, I would do something really neutral like sw believable buff or whole wheat. Honestly, if it's a playroom, the floor will be covered in toys, lol. Just try a big rug too.

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

I think any shade of brown will only make the floor seem more orange.

I don't know if it would have the same effect on a floor, but I found, through research and then application, that the best color to tone down an orange tint in wood, is a warm blue. I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself, but the blue all but removes the orange from an orangy wood stain.

• Tracy Russo
    9 years ago

Personally peach makes my skin crawl, as does orange. I moved into a home that had orange countertops that we were not going to be able to replace right away, there wasn't a thing wrong with them except for the fact that they were orange, so I opted to paint my moldings white, put up white 2" blinds, and paint the walls a soft light green, looked almost mossy,tanish, but definately green. It changed the look of the whole kitchen. I actually didn't mind the counters after those changes were made. It really toned down that orange and peach color it was giving the walls and my cabinets. So as they say.....GO GREEN!

• Tracy Russo
    9 years ago

Oh and by the way, I once had a bathroom with peach tile, YUK! And I thought that by painting the walls a nice brown would be a good choice......WRONG!!!!!!! Just made the peach tile look dirty!

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

A pale blue, pale blue-grey, extremely pale yellow can all help.

So can a BIG RUG!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

this is a thread from 2011.....revived for heaven knows why but I'll bet the op figured it out by now :)