Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lara9143

Beadboard wallpaper vs. MDF?

lara9143
12 years ago

I've been a lurker for a while and the advice and suggestions have proved invaluable while renovating our kitchen - I'm hoping you all can help me with an issue!

I just painted our orange golden oak cabinets white and am putting the finishing touches on everything this weekend. We are adding beadboard to the peninsula side and exposed sides of the upper cabinets. I originally thought of using the MDF sheets of beadboard (on a budget here) but when I went to HD I saw beadboard wallpaper... Brilliant!

DH disagrees. When I said the word "wallpaper" he got a horrified look on his face and acted like I was destroying the whole kitchen.

Does the beadboard wallpaper LOOK like wallpaper? Or from a distant could one be fooled to think it was beadboard?

Thanks! :)

Comments (16)

• poohpup
    12 years ago

I haven't seen beadboard wallpaper, but I've got to guess that it would look like wallpaper you were trying to fool the eye to look like beadboard. I'm siding with hubby on this one. But, to be fair, haven't seen the wallpaper.

• deedles
    12 years ago

Nix the wallpaper on the island... go with something that has some... well, go with beadboard!

• farmhousebound
    12 years ago

When we were renovating DH's grandparents' farmhouse, the old part of the house was real heart pine beadboard on the walls and the ceilings. Since using the real thing would have been cost prohibitive for us, we used beadboard wallpaper on the ceilings and beadboard paneling on the walls. So far, no one who has seen it has been able to tell it was wallpaper until we told them.

That being said, I would not put it on an island as any bump would put indentations in it or could tear it.

• jalsy6
    12 years ago

If there will be water anywhere near it, steer clear of the mdf. We have that in my bathroom and are about to rip it out because it's breaking down all around the sink. Have you considered the breadboard tile?

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

I think the beadboard wallpaper would be perfect in places without wear and tear.

I think MDF would be perfect for the island, but yes, not if there's water. Seal that baby really securely.

Ignore the horrified look for places where you can. :) That paper is paintable and looks really good!

• annkathryn
    12 years ago

I used beadboard wallpaper on my laundry room cabinets and thought it was a big improvement. I added a frame around the door as well. I thought it looked like wood, but the feel was a bit soft.

Before:

After:

• caryscott
    12 years ago

I have a friend who used the wallpaper and it looks great. His is in a bedroom but he hasn't had any problem with edges lifting and he found the product quite good to work with. I've pretty much decided to gamble and use it as a back splash on one side of my galley kitchen (the side without water). You can caulk or fill the seams to hide them.

• lara9143
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the tips! annkathryn, your laundry room looks so great! I showed DH your pics and he said "Ok fine, we'll try it." As a compromise, we're going with the MDF under the peninsula to hold up to kicking feet, but everywhere else is going to be the wallpaper. Tonight's the night so fingers crossed. :)

• Fori
    12 years ago

Dang, AnnK--come do my kitchen cabinets! I will even allow you to do the walls yellow, too!

I think your plan sounds good, Lara.

• annkathryn
    12 years ago

fori the walls didn't stay yellow for long. Just before selling the house we repainted the laundry room SW Ivoire like the halls. Here's another cabinet I did using beadboard wallpaper. I added a remnant of granite from a prefab place for $65.

• ds945
    12 years ago

I did both my cabinet ends and my island with the beadboard wallpaper. I figured what have I got to lose? I can always go back and do them again with beadboard, but the paper will be easier and less expensive. I had my cabinets painted in November with BM Aura paint and have been very happy ever since. There is no wear whatsoever. The paper is a bit spongy if you feel it, but the with paint is is harder. Who is going to touch the ends of your cabinets or underneath the island? Everyone is amazed that it is paper. I picked the best paper I could.

• sweeby
    12 years ago

Great idea! Can anyone give me a ballpark cost for the beadboard paper? Hopefully, one day we'll have a ceiling to do...

• annkathryn
    12 years ago

I ordered the paper from Home Depot online. It was around $40/roll.

• owataqt
    12 years ago

I saw the bead board wall paper yesterday. Infact it had lots of different styles. When walking past it I began to think about the sides of my cabinet and sides of my island and thought...this would be perfect there. So that's what I plan on doing too.

I can't wait to see your project finished. Oh and my island has no water and the stove sits in it, no seating in my island. I would probably do the mdf board if i had searing under my island. Same with the side of my cabinet. No water over there either.

Love the statement,,really what do you have to loose by trying it. If it gets all mucky in a couple of years..change it

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Sweeby, Lowes seems to keep two different kinds of beadboard wallpaper in stock, at least around here.

• sweeby
    12 years ago

Thanks Writersblock -- I've been in renovation withdrawal, it's been so long since our last redo...