Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? Nov. 1-3

lindaoh_gw
10 years ago

I finished the binding on two baby quilts this week. Today I made a label for the quilt for the baby shower. I have two extra embroidered blocks that I am making into pillows to match the quilt. My quilting goals for this weekend are to attach the label and finish the pillows. I also have 16 place mats that need the bindings hand stitched. I hope to do as many of them as I can this weekend.
Are you quilting this weekend?
Linda OH

Comments (14)

• msmeow
    10 years ago

I have a handbell rehearsal tomorrow afternoon but other than that my weekend is free (as far as I know LOL). I have a QOV for another forum that I need to quilt and bind, so I'm hoping to get a good start on that this weekend.

Also keep up with my QU hand piecing class.

Donna

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I am cutting fabric for pin cushions that will be Christmas presents. Glad we are getting some cooler weather in central Louisiana today, the high was only 76*F. Hope everyone enjoys their weekend.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• calliope
    10 years ago

Nope, doubt it. I finished the quilt top for the orphanage two days ago, and need to get batting for it. The section of town where I need to buy it is all ripped up and traffic is a snarl, even for a little burg of 23K people. I've a little job list I have been knocking out, instead. Some of that stuff has been sitting for years waiting for me to get to it and as tedious as it has been, it surely feels good to get it done. I'm just thrilled I cranked out a full bed sized quilt (I had no intention of even doing, to be honest) top in two weeks and actually like it. The batting/quilting part of it I should be able to do in a day or two and another day or two for the binding. I shan't put it off too long, however, as it has to be ready to go by 18 November.

• bev2009
    10 years ago

My daughter is having a Halloween tea tomorrow. So I have to finish her Princess Lea costume today, clean and make some of the food. Hopefully tomorrow I can make the Lotto blocks. They look easy and I usually wait until the very end of the month and run out of time. LOL However, not sure I have any white fabric left, so may have to run to LQS today, about three blocks away luckily.

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

We are having cooler weather too and I should be working in my yard BUT they have been burning leaves and my allergies do not like it!

I want to tackle a binding after I get back from picking mustard greens. Just washing and blanching them will probably take all day.
    Rosa

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Well, it's a full scout weekend for us. My cubscout & Dad were out this morning dropping off bags for food collection. The girls and I were at a nut sale this afternoon for 4 hours! Then dinner out.

Tomorrow the girls & I have another sale, but thankfully only for 2 hours. The good thing is that it's beautiful weather with temps in the 60s and sunny!

I did get some scout patches sewn on a shirt, and every chance I get, I piddle around with placement of strips on my bargello quilt. It's getting to the point I just need to move on it, and come what may. Otherwise, I think I could rearrange colors indefinitely.

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I completed 3 casserole carriers today that are Christmas gifts. I have a twin quilt on the frame that I want to get done tomorrow. Then there is another just like it to get on the frame. My cousin has twin 3 year olds and I felt like they need bigger quilts now. So these will be Christmas gifts for them. I am also getting some handwork together in a kit as I have to travel to Las Vegas this week for work. Long times on planes and in airports mean I will be stir crazy if I don't have something to do.

Jackie

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I finished the pillows and the label. Today I shortened 4 pair of jeans for myself. I also attended a luncheon at the local hospital. I hadn't planned to attend but my friend who organized it, called me yesterday to say she had a ticket for me. The lunch was wonderful and I was seated at a table with some friends.
    I haven't decided what I will do tomorrow.
    Linda OH

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

I've got two projects going right now and have been sewing and playing and practicing all night.... My best friends birthday is today and I'm not even halfway done with his card (I always sew cards)... Thank goodness for the extra hour!

I have been playing with some of the multidirectional stitches and monogramming on my machine and having a lot of fun learning...

I'm also still working on the teddy bear wall hanging for my aunt that I previously posted about. I decided not to make it long and instead to make it square... I really used this as an opportunity to perfect my accuracy.... making sure I press between each step and set the seams and use the quarter inch foot... so far, it's the best looking (least wonky) thing I've ever made! It's so nice to have something turn out right!

I discovered that I've been missing the last thread guide (the one right before the needle) ever since I've had the Bernina (since June!)... I just wanted to slap myself and scream duh you dunce! This is probably why I've had thread cutter and tension and needle breaking issues all along! I also discovered how to use the sliding seam guide to get perfectly straight and accurate quarter inch seams without having to buy a quarter inch foot...

I decided that I need a walking foot for the Bernina so that I don't have to keep switching back to the old machine every time I need to use one and I called the two dealers in my area.... one wanted 220 and the other 176! Even 176 is a lot for something that would cost 20 bucks for any other machine, but I can't believe the difference in price between the two dealers. I thought about getting a generic one from Ebay, but the genuine one comes with a stitch in the ditch sole and is no doubt better quality....

So, a weekend of learning all the way around for me! I've finally gotten sleepy enough to tear myself away from the machine and go to bed! :o)

Hope everyone has a glorious weekend....

• susan_on
    10 years ago

I have a few errands I have to pop out and do today, and my son may come over for dinner, but I will have blocks of time I can spend in the sewing room. I have several small projects to finish and one larger one- the owl baby quilt, to work on. I think I have sewing ADHD. I need to clear some of the smaller projects today (bibs, pillowcases) so that my mind is cleared. My head feels cluttered right now because of all these projects on the go!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I have about 35 more Falling Charm blocks to make (but I'm really not starting any new quilts! HA!), and need to press the first border on the Cabin Warmer and measure the length for sewing on the second border.

Bobby, It sounds like you're having fun with your machines and that's what it's about. Learning more about them and how to get accuracy is really a 'good for me' feeling and the knowledge will transfer over to your larger projects. Wooooohooooo

SharonG/FL

• polardream
    10 years ago

We had a hockey game Friday night, then I worked at a funeral at church Saturday. When I got home we needed to get the leaves raked since most of them have finally fallen. I was too tired to look at sewing last night so we listened to our local college football game on the radio, then switched over to the hockey game! We picked up our grand-DOG after church and we will have her the rest of the week. After a few errands this afternoon, I am going to finish putting my sewing room back together after the new carpet, and maybe find some time to do a little sewing.
    Only 3 weeks until the wedding ... phew.

Sue

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Sue, I was wondering if you were in panic-mode yet :)

I had planned to start quilting a project from 2012 Retreat today.
    I never added the border to frame the quilt as I planned. I thought the extra fabric in the ziplock bag was for the binding!
    So, I cut and sewed on the borders - mitered -- why???? Black fabric, black thread, you can't see the miters and my head & eyes hurt! Now I need to re-press the top and get it quilted. I thought this one would be fast.......I had already chosen the variegated thread, and decided on the quilting design months ago! The backing is made and loaded, so I have to get this done!
    I have no home for this one, unlike the gifts waiting for attention!

• bev2009
    10 years ago

I was inspired from the thread about the crumb blocks. I've never made one and have wanted to give them a try. I ended up making nine 3.5" sq blocks so far. Went to Joann's today and got a 12.5" sq template, little pads for my templates, a thread box, wooden block to hold templates and white fabric for the Lotto. I took the time to clean up and organize the sewing area. That really felt good! Princess Lea had a great time at her tea (we took her dog to Joann's and DQ so she wouldn't bark at everyone), so a very successful weekend was had by all.