Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catbird_gw

Need Recommendations on Pull-down Attic Stairs

catbird
17 years ago

We're about to have some remodelling done and want to replace the rickety folding pull-down attic stairs. We need to store things in the attic, but don't have any place to build in a regular staircase. We'd like some pull-down stairs that aren't as steep as the ones we have and are stronger. Has anyone used the solid sliding stairs? Do they come down at a gentler angle so they're easier to climb? Are they easy to raise and lower? What other types have people used and what has been your experience? Any brand recommendations?

Comments (7)

• mike_kaiser_gw
    17 years ago

Most of the attic ladder manufacturers offer several lines of ladders. The ones you see in the local home center are often light duty and relatively inexpensive. A ladder with a higher load capacity will have "beefier" components and feel sturdier. They also tend to be more expensive.

As for angle, I don't think you'll find too many options. There's some geometry of getting something to fold into a given space that can't change.

Just a quick look turned up this link:

http://www.rainbowatticstair.com/attic-stairs-products/prestige-folding-attic-stairs.cfm

I don't know anything about the company or their products beyond that they exist. The ladder also appears to be rather expensive.

Mike

• sombreuil_mongrel
    17 years ago

Hi,
    The roller-type attic stair will have a rough opening that varies according to the height of the ceiling. Also be aware (measure twice) that the roller stair encroaches a lot more on the attic space- it needs room to roll, so see that no hardware is in the way - ducts, pipes, equipment.
    Casey

• dickross
    17 years ago

If no other options are workable, the aluminum folding stairs from Lowes are 10 times better than the rickity wooden variety. Much more ridgid and solid feeling.

• lowellches
    17 years ago

I found several brands online - then checked Lowes and found that they have both metal and wood, at much lower prices.

• noworries
    17 years ago

I put the heavy duty Werner brand aluminum fold-down stairs from Lowes in my garage. With the 10 foot ceilings I, at just over six feet tall, can barely unfold the stairs. My wife must stand on a stool to reach the stairs to unfold them. The stairs are quite solid and overall I'm satisified.

Also, make sure your rough-in is absolutely square, at least the sides must be absolutely plumb with the header to which the stairs are bolted. Measure the distance between the side members at intervals along the rough-in. The stairs bolt to the sides as well as to the header. Variations in roof joist spacing may require some shimming to get the stairs to operate smoothly without binding. For those contemplating a new installation, I'd plan this all out before cutting into the ceiling. Also, make sure you'll have enough headroom as you exit the top of the stairs into the attic....

If you have visions of installing them by yourself, be prepared to rig a block and tackle to haul the assembly up to the ceiling. This is a good idea even with a helper. The stairs are heavy as you'll find when you load them into your truck at the store. I used a 2x4 laid across the trusses with a rope tied to the stairs to haul them up to the mounting bracket.

• catbird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the input. I'll start with Lowes, but has anyone tried Bessler's sliding pull-down stairs? They're pretty expensive, but if they're easier to get up and down, I'll consider them.