Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn237

changing tiles to wood floors, ned help please

Lyban zone 4
11 years ago

Hi,

My house has wood oak floors in LR and DR and the whole rest of main floor is tile , 550 sq. ft. of it.

hallway. bathroom, kitchen, laundry room and large closet.

The tile is badly cracked in kitchen and I find it very hard on legs.

It is 25 years old. I would like to change everthing to wood floors except a very small portion in front entrance. I am attaching photos of areas with tiles now.

My question is what color wood would you choose, I was thinking an oak similar to what I have in LR/DR but my kitchen is also all oak cabinets. I know this is a very 80 look but I will not be changing kitchen cupboards so what do I do.

Do I try to match other wood or go something all together different. I do not want very dark because of upkeep.

These photos will show you my ties that need to be replaced.

Sorry for so many photos but I want you to see if you think I should be considering something else.

Thanks for looking

Front entrance, you can see the LR in this photo

{{!gwi}}

Hallway from entrance to Kitchen area

{{!gwi}}

Kitchen area with oak cabinets showing a bit

{{!gwi}}

part of kitchen that walks into DR

{{!gwi}}

Area of Kitchen with dinette table

{{!gwi}}

another hallway to Powder room and Garage door and large closet.

{{!gwi}}

Laundry room

{{!gwi}}

Comments (4)

• sloyder
    11 years ago

I would remove all the tile, or else you will have a bad transition between the tile, and the wood. Would stay with the oak, you could always paint the kitchen cabinets white if you don't want the matchy matchy look, or stain them darker.

• sheesh
    11 years ago

The transition from wood to tile in the hallway looks good. Don't worry about transitions.

It looks like the oak floor in your living room is classic and in good condition. Your kitchen cabs also look to be in fine shape. I think you will be happy with oak floors the same color as the living room. You can have the lr floors refinished to match the new floor if you like.

I, too, have oak floors and cabinets in my kitchen. They look great
    together! The floors are very low maintenance and very easy on legs and feet. You'll be delighted with your new floors!

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks sloyd and Sherman
    Well you make me feel better since you have both oak cabinets and floors.
    I guess I will go ahead with an oak floor.
    I plan on a beigy tan rectangular tile for entrane, maybe about a 7 by 14 tile.
    Anyone else have suggestions.

• User
    11 years ago

I would suggest having the current floors sanded down to bare wood and then when the new wood is laid, you can finish them all to match. For the color, I would suggest something browner and darker than your cabinets, but not too dark. You want a difference in the colors so it's obvious that the cabinets are one color and the floors are another. It's fine that they are both oak, but if they are the same color, you lose any contrast that allows them to be viewed for their own special beauty and they blend into each other to form a blob of color that doesn't let you appreciate each individually.