Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

New table runner

loisflan
12 years ago

I was so fascinated by this table runner that I just had to make it. I suppose this technique is "old hat" to many of you, but I just loved it. I haven't decided whether to keep it or gift it. We'll see.

Comments (23)

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Very nice. I would keep it!!
    Theresa

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Very nice, Lois! It looks great with those candlesticks.

Donna

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Is that a striped batik? It's lovely. Just think of what a person could do with various striped fabrics. Hmmmmm.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

That looks great, Lois! You made it, you love it, I think you need to keep it!

SharonG/FL

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

That's gorgeous,i like the effect the stripes create.I would keep it,so rich looking..
    Kathi

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

The fabric is beautiful, and so are the candlesticks, so I vote for you to keep it! It looks beautiful on your table.
    Is the technique the tube method?

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Oh, I love it and think I would keep it if I were you.

beverly

• Kristene Smith
    12 years ago

I am fascinated by the fabric - the way you have sewn it gives a 3D effect and seems to pop out or sink down - it's wonderful. Looks like wood - such a wonderful effect that you need to keep this one

Kristene

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Keep it!!!

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

If it were mine I would hate to give it away. I really like it a lot. Exceptional use of fabric. Love it. TFS

• nannykins
    12 years ago

I am glad someone said "striped fabric" I was trying to imagine sewing all those very narrow strips together.
    I think the consensus is for you to keep it.
    Theresa

• mzstitch
    12 years ago

I'd have to keep that one, if I were to have made it! Very fun! Looks like it was fun creating with those stripes!

• loisflan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the kind comments. My daughter, who doesn't like the the traditional quilted look very much, really likes this runner. She wants to try it on her table, so I may lose it to her.

The fabric is a batik "organic stripe," as they called it. You bring the center fold of the fabric to the selvages so you have four thicknesses of cloth. Then you cut as many 10" squares through all four layers as you want (this pattern called for three). Each stack of four squares is then cut diagonally into four stacks of triangles. Each block is then pieced from one of the stacks of triangles. This gives the effect shown in the photo.

Because I didn't want to lose the geometric look, I quilted it following the squares and crosses of each block. I've seen it quilted with a meander, and that looked great too. I think these blocks would work well with any irregularly striped fabric.

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Lois I have never heard to that technique! I have to try this!!

It looks amazing on your table, if I gave it away I would have to make another for ME! very classy!!
    Rosa

• loree_s
    12 years ago

Beautiful tablerunner! I'm new to the forum and just had to comment. The batik gives it such an organic appearance--it reminds me of agates. I'll be looking for a stripe next time I'm browsing the batiks. Very nice!

• User
    12 years ago

OMG (& I don't say that often) it's great, great, great.

I'll make it unanimous, you should pls. keep it. The color & feel of it on your table w/ that candlestick, the color staging is excellent. Sorry, I think your daughter will need to find something else ;>)

Can you pls. state the pattern or where you found it? I think I need to make this too, or something like it! I'm fascinated now as well!

Really, well done indeed, TFS.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Lois,
    I loved this pattern when you first posted it and have kept it in mind as a project. Then yesterday a quilting friend gave me a bag of fabrics she decided she isn't going to use (lucky me!) and one of the pieces is a stripe similar to the one you used but in reds (REALLY lucky me!).

I'm not sure I understand the method you used but I would like to know more about it now that I'm ready to get started. Was there a pattern?

Kate

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

I love this fabric with this pattern. Really sets it off!! I agree, you should keep it :-)

Robbi

• loisflan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kate and Pirate Girl, I have a sheet with the pattern on it, and I don't believe there was a name or copyright information on it. If that's the case, I will send you each a copy of the instructions. I agree that it's a really cool pattern.

• dawnp
    11 years ago

Hi Lois,

That table runner is gorgeous! Can you share the pattern name with us?

Thank you

• loisflan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The instructions for this project were on half sheet of paper with no name or copyright information on it, so I am comfortable sharing with anyone who would like a copy. Just email me. I've sent copies to Kate, Dawn and Pirate Girl.

• dawnp
    11 years ago

Thank you Lois!

I am excited to do this! What a fun project.

You are very generous!

Dawn

• Joan Dupuis
    11 years ago

It's gorgeous. I'd love the pattern as well please. And, you should keep it. Looks great with your candle sticks.