Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Farrow and Ball 'Biscuit'

Rudebekia
15 years ago

Does anyone know about this color? I saw a gorgeous kitchen at a site online and it said the cabinets and walls were painted in this color. "Biscuit" is not listed on the F and B site, however. Is it a retired color? Or did it change names? Thanks.

Comments (12)

• bedelia
    15 years ago

I'm not familiar with F&B paint, but I do have SW Biscuit in my family room. It looks very similar and I also have it accented with browns and golds. You might want to check out SW paints.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Farrow & Ball just revised their line, adding a half a dozen new colors and dropping approximately the same. Looks like Biscuit was one of those dropped. I have the card on my old fandeck, yet the chip doesn't show on their new brochure.

I haven't inquired about "archived" colors, but I can tell you that their "bespoke colors" (those for which formulas were created but were never added to the regular line) come with a four-gallon minimum ($78/gal for Modern Emulsion), a $40.00 tint charge, and no samples are available.

You can call a store and get help. I found the woman I spoke with in Greenwich to be very nice. Calling HQ in Canada usually means more "business-like" service.

Getting back to the color, here is the description from the back of the chip:

Nearly a Bath Stone colour. A sort of dark cream colour used to suggest stone.

It is very deep and throws a lot of gold, IMO. Bath refers to Bath, England, a golden city. If you check color charts dot org, there is a close-ish match in the Ralph line (Atlantic Shoreline) which might be more accessible to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Color charts

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your feedback. I called F&B just now--the Canada site--and was told it was a discontinued color but I could still get a sample pot. However, she described the color to me as close to the current "Cat's Paw." That's way too dark for me. I'm now certain that the thread I posted with the House Beautiful website was incorrect in stating that both the walls and cabinets are painted in Biscuit. Biscuit is most likely just the wall color and, sob, I'm trying to search out cabinet colors. Frustrating!!

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I agree that Biscuit and Cat's Paw are very close. And quite dark if you are going for off-white cabs.

I was wrong about the half a dozen new colors, btw. The early press release showed eight new colors but some further reading indicates that there are about 18 new and 18 were dropped. (Not that that matters...)

For better or worse, even if you could find the name of the color used on the cabs, there's no guarantee it would look the same in your home. Creams and off-whites are very hard to choose, I know. Have you thought about what you want the wall color to be? That might help with the cab color selection.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. The wall color is already done (we are decorating backwards!) It is a sage green, Muralo's Prairie Path. Boy are you correct about how difficult it is to decide on whites! I have about 1/2 dozen on my short list now and am spending a small fortune in samples. Am looking for a not-too gray, not-too yellow off white for a 19th century home. The short list includes: BM Grand Teton White (which I keep coming back to), Lancaster Whitewash, Ancient Ivory, Ballet White, SW Divine white. I did order one sample from F&B while I was on the phone: Slipper Satin.

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

I had F&B London Stone matched and mixed at my local paint store in a BM base. Works fine. I think the F&B paint is wonderful, and if I had all the money in the world....

So, get your sample and get it matched.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I like the additional substance of GTW or BW over the AI. LW goes all yellow-y to my eye. DW looks a bit pink, and next to green, it's complement, I am afraid that could be magnified.

I have been struggling with picking a white for trim color myself. I think that if you keep coming back to GTW, that's a good indication right there.

As for matching the color, I think you should consider why you might want to use F&B in the first place. If it is only because of the color, that's one thing. But, functionally, the F&B is different. On walls, the finish is incomparable.

As for cabinets, I don't have any experience with F&B trim paints but I can tell you that not all trim/cabinet paints are created equal! From what I read, I might try to get whatever color I wanted matched in Cabinet Coat or the Muralo ceramic paint. I will be using Pittsburgh Manor Hall Timeless for my trim, based on advice from Funcolors. Part of the job will be DIY and I needed something easy to work with. Wish me luck! :-)

Remember, if you are paying to have this work done, the differential in the cost of fancy paint vs. regular paint is a small fraction of the cost of the whole job.

Have you posted pics anywhere?

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

I see that you have access to Muralo paint. There is a color called Patagonia that might work for you. It is a creamy white. Here is a picture of cabs done in Muralo's Patagonia with a fruitwood glaze over that. These pics are from hpj185's kitchen on RMS.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. I should have clarified that I'm looking at the F&B only for the colors--I'll have them color matched if I find one I like. My painter is going to use a BM brand--sorry that I can't recall it right now. My local BM store can also match any Muralo, and I'll definitely look into Patagonia: I like those pictures a lot.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

If you go on the paint forum, there are postings about how difficult Farrow and Ball colors are to match with BM or any brand due to the large amount of pigment they use and unique forumla. If you are not going to go with Farrow and Ball, I would look at other paint brands like Muralo or BM or SW which can be easily matched. Just a thought.

• bungalow_house
    15 years ago

marita, I used Lancaster White (not sure how different it is from Lancaster Whitewash...name change only or a different formula?), and it definitely has a yellow-green cast to it. It's not noticeable in my gray-green bedroom, but it's very noticeable in my gray-blue bathroom.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lancaster Whitewash looks slightly different to me than Lancaster White. Confusing, isn't it? Anyway, I think I ruled this one out--it is too yellow-beige for kitchen cabinets, in my kitchen at least. The search continues!