Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

let's do good cl items - the best ad in your area today under $50

My3dogs ME zone 5A
14 years ago

Not that you plan to buy it, but just a nice 'something' that is a great buy. I think it'll be interesting to see great stuff offered in your local area. A nice change from the horrors that we often see.

And, maybe, we'll end up helping someone here find a item of their dreams! Perhaps we could even have a post where people list items they're looking for and how far they'd travel to get it, and what their budget is.

I'm in Maine, and we only have one CL area - the whole state! This morning I was checking out the new offerings and saw this (IMO) beautiful chair for $35. I don't need another chair, but someone should get a good buy with this. I love nail head trim and the wood and color look nice.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: See ad here, from Portland, ME

Comments (52)

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

I've already sent an email inquiring about this antique milk stern listed for $20. If it's the right size, I though it might work as a side table.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milk stern

• robin_g
    14 years ago

This looks interesting. I don't need it but it looks nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: leather chair

• yayagal
    14 years ago

If I had time today I'd go get these. The storage is so good.

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/fuo/1276196728.html

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

Slim pickins in that price range here today! This might have a sturdy frame (hard to tell, but looks old enough that it probably does?) and if recovered could make a nice sofa. At least you can't beat the price!

Here is a link that might be useful: $25 couch

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A nice variety of 'stuff' so far! juddgirl2, my mother had one of those milk cans (that's what we always called them) when I was a kid. I recall that it was painted red, had an eagle decal on the front and was then glazed! Am I dating myself? I don't recall it in the house anywhere, just in the cellar.

Here is another from the Maine CL - a 4 panel folding screen bargain if it works for you! $40 and more pics shown in the ad. 6' x 6'.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Check it out!

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

Was it like this one, my3dogs? We bought this at an antique shop for $15! I thought it was perfect for a country porch.

• jlsch
    14 years ago

Ok, this is cheating a bit. This is listed for $125 but I really like it. It is listed as a mid-century Norwegian sled rocking chair and I'm thinking I may have to take the drive to look at it....
    {{!gwi}}

• bungalow_house
    14 years ago

Slightly over $50 but I'm bummed that I have no place for these.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamps

• dana1079
    14 years ago

These are listing in the birmingham AL area:

Arm chair, white, $40.

Vintage mirror, 3 feet by 4feet, 25 bucks..i could so see this painted a deep red, or maybe turquoise...lol

• mcps
    14 years ago

This is the best I've seen so far today. One of you GWers recently painted furniture like this white and added pretty hardware and I thought it turned out great. Don't need any bedside tables though!

$50 for the pair in Sugar Land, TX

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Price cheating is allowed! It's just fun to see some nice things offered.

hoosier - Yep - It was pretty close to that except that ours had the lid on it. I don't know if Mum bought it that way or did the painting herself. I recall a flurry of seeing things 'antiqued' with those kits from the 60s.

wigardener, that IS a neat chair! I've never seen anything like it. And dana, why not go get that mirror and paint it?
    bungalow, I need lamps like a hole in the head, but those are great! You can tell they are quality.

I just hoisted my new (old) HEAVY brass Decorative Crafts mirror from CL ($50) up above the mantle and I see that I don't care for it there. It needs to be on a darker wall. So my OTHER CL mirror is going back up, maybe with a change to the accessories.

I bought this one below out of pity, ($30) because the seller GAVE me a bunch of stuff. It languished in the garage for ages til I hauled it out and 'chijim' convinced me to try it. I had planned to paint it, but he said to try it as it was, so a bit of cleaning and wax and I love it. The shape is great! Can you see the two rounded areas on the bottom?

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

I think this is a great deal!

For those near Chicago:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

$50!

Here is a link that might be useful: China Cabinet/Secretary

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

You can't really see it well in that pic, my3dogs, but it does have a lid. (If you can see the horizontal line toward the top, you hold that and lift the lid off.) I think you're right, it was probably "decopaged" in the 60's. Both of your mirrors are GORGEOUS!!!

So many great bargains!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah, on our milk can the top was flat at the top, so you could even sit on it as a kid....

Wow, that secretary for $50 - what a deal! You may all have seen what Eddie Ross did with one that he found, putting mirror in the top instead of glass. I put the link to it below. That one above with the neat detail on the drawer fronts would look fabulous transformed like Eddie's!

Here is a link that might be useful: See Eddie Ross's cream painted one.

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Wowza, you all...I don't have good things like that..

I love this thread idea and I have a suggestion: when people are posting, could you please put what city list the item is in, like Dana did? Dilly Dally, for instance -- ooh la la I'd LOVE that piece but it's not going to happen...someone's probably exceedingly happy right now, provided nothing died inside that cabinet...

• allison0704
    14 years ago

I'm cheating on the price since this reminds me of the one my grandmother had - the memories are worth the extra $$. ;)

Gossip Bench $150. Outside Bham, AL in Mentone

{{!gwi}}

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was hoping that people would do that - list where the item is. I don't know where folks here live, so it would be fun to see the prices around the country and Canada. As I wrote in my post, Maine only has ONE region - the whole state!

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

I love wing back chairs, especially when they are so reasonably priced. Just fifteen dollars! I'd get it but already have four of them around the house.
    {{!gwi}}
    But then I saw this MCM little pink darling and oh I want it BAD! And it's only $15 too.
    {{!gwi}}
    And at the top of the limit given for this thread, if we hold to, though there were some other goodies I've emailed about, is this oldie but goodie chest of drawers. Fifty dollars. Needs some lovin...
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Two chairs $15 ea

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Mine above are all in Omaha, NEs CL.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

One of these would be cool in an entryway........available in Visalia Ca., about 30 miles south of Fresno.

Red

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: $50 Zebra Chairs

• walkin_yesindeed
    14 years ago

for the MCM/ space-age lovers, some nifty chairs down here in dusty, hot Las Cruces, NM:

Here is a link that might be useful: silver fabric chairs

• walkin_yesindeed
    14 years ago

six cool, streamlined Italian leather dining chairs (kelly green!) for $100!

Here is a link that might be useful: I could totally see these in some DRs I've seen here...

• loribee
    14 years ago

non smoking home, comfy and lightweight...

$40!

{{!gwi}}

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Today's offering of $50 or less includes pieces of this set. It looks like it was what furnished a small apartment and look to be in very good condition. Of course everyone knows of my love for modern clean lined furniture. I could totally see this set used for home schooling or to furnish a children's playroom. A nice sturdy bookcase, a big low table for sitting on the for for projects and crafts, two little tables, that need two little chairs for serious work, and a storage chest for items to keep the room uncluttered.

This storage chest is $50.

{{!gwi}}

This low square table $50 also.

{{!gwi}}

End table $35 EACH.

{{!gwi}}

Bookcase is $100 but if you can buy all the pieces for $240 essentially making it cheaper and possibly getting it for less.

{{!gwi}}

• User
    14 years ago

I like this standing mirror--

Here is a link that might be useful: Boston South Shore

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

I'm going to look at this today - HD will say "Where will you put it?" and I don't know (love to have it on the covered porch but afraid it wouldn't stand up to being outside. Maybe if it's big enough put it by the stairs in the foyer instead of the bench I've been looking for? People need a place to sit and take off their shoes if I want them to use the front door instead of coming through garage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carved oak chair

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Beautiful stained glass lamp for $20.

{{!gwi}}

Matching floor lamp also $20. A steal!

{{!gwi}}

• deborahnj
    14 years ago

I found these this on the Cincinnati CL this morning.

Here is a link that might be useful: Burgundy Sofa

• deborahnj
    14 years ago

I neglected to mention that the sofa was a bit over the $50 limit but I still thought it worthy of posting.

Here is a table that I also found for $15 on the Cincy CL.

Here is a link that might be useful: Round Table

• kim_okla
    14 years ago

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/atq/1276901304.html
    old spice set

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/atq/1276307960.html
    over $50.00 but nice old bedroom set.

I do like that screen.

Here is a link that might be useful: bed and night stand

• jlsch
    14 years ago

This one is for $85, but I think that is a great price.

Here is a link that might be useful: Petite Boudoir Chez Lounge

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Best I can find so far here in Portland, and it's a project, of course...

Here is a link that might be useful: unfortunately, stripped, but good for painting

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

btw, meant to ask: what is the app that allows you to preview pics in c's list? I'd love to know...thanks.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Slim pickin's in Houston today -- but for $55...

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Library table

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• mulherroxa
    14 years ago

Ooh! I can share in this thread..... it doesn't require any decorating talent. I'm much better at reading and learning from all of you.

I like the lines in this piece.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shabby chic petite buffet/sideboard - $65

• mulherroxa
    14 years ago

Ooh! I can share in this thread..... it doesn't require any decorating talent. I'm much better at reading and learning from all of you.

I like the lines in this piece.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shabby chic petite buffet/sideboard - $65

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

This is fun and yet not because I've seen things elsewhere that I'd love to have. Though I did find this table base. I have a glass top table from the 80's given to me by a friend. I only took it because she was frantic to get rid of it. The chairs went to the thrift store soon after I brought them home and I've been trying to find a base I liked ever since.
    This was listed a couple days ago, but I emailed and arranged to pick it up today, so I waited to post it.
    {{!gwi}}

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

Here are a couple of chairs that are not bad for $30 each. A little fabric for the seats and ouila! Found on the Baltimore CL.

Here is a link that might be useful: white chairs

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

Today's (7/19) deals from Chicagoland for $50 or less:
    {{!gwi}}

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/fuo/1278433685.html

This I love-- "angry wind face" carving on the chair:
    {{!gwi}}

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/fuo/1278439986.html

{{!gwi}}

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/fuo/1278496649.html

{{!gwi}}

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/fuo/1278128294.html

• purrus
    14 years ago

Cool thread!

I am picking this up tomorrow (have been looking for a wrought iron glider but they are all too expensive for me at the moment)
    http://detroit.craigslist.org/for/1278137578.html

Here is a link that might be useful: glider

• purrus
    14 years ago

This is a cool MCM couch

Here is a link that might be useful: couch

• purrus
    14 years ago

Wow, I love some of the chairs you guys are posting--if anything like that popped up under $50 in my area, I'd be all over it!

This next link is not something good in the price range, but the name of the item almost made me fall off my chair laughing:

Here is a link that might be useful: candle operas

• purrus
    14 years ago

Gee, I guess I'm getting carried away!

This one would require a coat of paint for me to like it, but it's got nice bones. It'd look great in our master bedroom with a coat of white glossy paint.

Here is a link that might be useful: mirror

• roobear
    14 years ago

This was posted on the 18th, but I thought it was very interesting since they say it works and is in good condition.

Omaha Craigslist, Vintage Universal Gas Range for 25.00 or best offer.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: CL Vintage gas range 25.00

• nicole__
    14 years ago

Our sales section had crap...but for FREE...
    {{!gwi}}

• parma42
    14 years ago

Candle operas?! LOL

• sweeby
    14 years ago

I couldn't figure that out for the longest time!
    Candelabras! LOL!

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Ten bucks for all three! If you love MCM finds, you would be racing over to buy this set, at this price. If you hate MCM stuff, you are cringing and wouldn't give a Nickle for it, I know.

{{!gwi}}

These are listing this as a *Marble Footstool*.

Gee, I've always hated having a comfortable, padded, upholstered footstool for my feet. LOL. I wonder if I could repurpose it into a plantstand????

Anyway, it is only $10! And looks like real marble.

{{!gwi}} {{!gwi}}

-----------

Only $35 and they say no stains or rips!

{{!gwi}} {{!gwi}}

This is listed as a *Church Pew Style Bench. They think they can get $50 for it. They have two of them for sale and only picture one. Is the other one in even worse condition??? The ad says "These benches are perfect for churches." I wouldn't even use this smashed bench for out in the yard.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Broken Crappy Bench

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

I'm picking this up in the morning for only $15.00!
    {{!gwi}}