Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aokat15_gw

Thoughts on a design layout similar to these inspiration kitchens

aokat15
13 years ago

After weeks of tweaking and changing our layout, I'm coming down to the wire and need to solidify our design and hopefully order our cabinets. I saw these three inspiration kitchens that I love and have a very similar space and want our layout to be very similar (we will have a u-shape kitchen with an island, and need to have windows on either side of the range as well as over the sink). My questions are:

1) What size should the upper cabinets be that end in the corner? If I had a 36 inch upper on both side walls, is that big enough to make those cabinets still usable? I've never opened a cabinet like that so I don't want it to be awkward and impractical.

2) It looks like all three of these kitchens have similar base cabinet configurations on the range wall - a 24 inch or so drawer base next to the range, slightly bumped out, and then two 30+ inch cabinets next to that that appear to be pull outs? Perhaps the one in the corner is a magic corner/super susan? What do you think those are?

Also, any thoughts in general about these inspiration layouts from a functionality standpoint would be great. I'll also try upload and post our current sketched layout for comments. Thanks!

First two are the same kitchen, different angles

Comments (12)

• wallycat
    13 years ago

My only comment is that the "enclosure" of the range means you have no "landing" for pots. Granted the rangetop is large, but if you need to set something to the side, you're trapped.

I posted an inquiry about a leaving a 6" area so I could do wall ovens next to a rangetop and Rhome (who is very knowledgeable and helpful here) indicated not enough space and not to do it (see my Plan A or Plan B post further in the pages).
    I am not sure how similar or not the plans are; your kitchen inspirations look much larger than mine.

Good luck and have fun!

• zillapgh
    13 years ago

I agree with wallycat. Although I really love your photos! I really wonder how someone works with the range being boxed in like that. I can't imagine where the giant bowl of pancake batter is sitting while you pour out batter. I think you could get the look using brackets or something else that didn't wipe away access to the range. Good luck.

The blue kitchen is sooo awesome.

• skyedog
    13 years ago

Code in my area does not allow combustible materials within 8" of a cooktop so if you flanked the burners as close as the picture they would have to be lined with something like tile, not wood.

As for the uppers that end in the corner - I have that and it is awkward to reach over to the end of the cabinet. I only put things my husband uses there. If you do go with end cabinets try to find hinges (for the door that pulls towards you) that open wider than normal. Ours only open to about 110 degrees. If they opened to more like 150 degrees it would help in pulling things out of the cabinet.

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Hi Aokat,
    Two of your inspiration pics were also my inspiration pics. You have great taste in kitchens :)
    I boxed in my range area but the box goes around the range and about 15 inches of counter space on either side for landing space. The box also sits back about a foot from the edge of the counter. In retrospect, I could have allowed for more room on the sides for landing space but the bigger that box hood became, the more $$$$, so I finally just left well enough alone.
    I still don't have updated pics, not that I've had much progress.....hope this helps...
    {{!gwi}}

Close up
    {{!gwi}}

• aokat15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much, everyone! Rookie - you have great taste as well ;) !! I have posted on your pics before and LOVE your space!! I can be flexible on the window location and size around the range and thus the range hood size itself so I will see if I can add more landing space. I am sure that this hood will be very expensive so I'll have to see how that plays... I have been thinking about the landing/enclosure issue for a while and don't want the look to outweigh the function so that has been a big concern. I do love the look of those hoods though and how it would "make" that wall... sigh.

Skyedog - thanks for the info on the combustible material (I will look into that!) and the upper cabinets. I'm wondering if I can rework the configuration on the side walls so that there is a single cabinet in the corner and then a double next to it, to avoid the door issue opening towards you... thanks for bringing that up!

• aokat15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oh - and the blue kitchen was courtesy of boxerpups on another thread! It is fantastic!

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

One more thing...
    My box hood was planned as being straight, not arched, but only in the confines of my brain. So, I never communicated my preference to anyone, I guess I assumed the gentleman I ordered them through could read my mind and remember every detail of my inspiration pics. Same thing with the fancy corbels but they're being replaced.

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

Also read the specs for your range. This will determine how close wood can sit next to it. My inspector reads the specs and measures. He has been known to make people increase the height of their hood - even when it's off by only 2". Personally I would like the most space possible next to the range.

• aokat15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much. What do you think is the max width that would work for this hood without it starting to look too big? If I have a 48 inch range and want 12-18 inches on either side, plus 12-18 inches for the legs (not sure the exact specs on those and if that's flexible) that would be 8-10 feet wide. I have 21 feet total on that wall and need a window on either side... My island will be 9 feet wide, so I'm thinking I wouldn't want to go greater than 9 feet on the hood... what do you think?

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Your inspiration pics were taken on sunny days so this might not be immediately obvious but mantle legs block some of the light coming in the windows on either side of the range. The deeper the mantle (as in your first 2 pics), the more light blocked. If you're adding windows to make your kitchen sunnier, it seems counterproductive to add a feature that blocks that light. If this isn't a big deal to you, then ignore me. ;-)

• aokat15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's a great point, Lisa - and I also know that many inspiration kitchen photos taken from magazines or websites were shot in great (not so typical) light! We are adding the windows on either side of the range more for the exterior elevation - didn't want a long blank brick span... so architect drew them in, but we have some flexibility as to size and location. Those windows are on the north side of the house. The best light will be coming in on the sink wall - where we will have a window over the sink and two french doors in the eat-in area.

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

So, I'm terrible at math but I think if you stick to a 7ft wide box hood, you'll have your 18 inches of landing space, a foot on each side shorter than the island and will still have 7 ft of space on either side (give or take a foot on each for the legs) of the box hood on the wall which is plenty in my opinion. I probably have approximately 3 ft on either side of mine which is not much and I think it's fine. One inch bigger and mine would have taken over the kitchen, unless it has taken over and I'm just in denial :)
    Another thing not function related, it would look SO beautiful with windows on either side! I'm looking forward to updates on your kitchen already!