Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaynes123_gw

Have you bought Lowes / HDepot type brand name from ebay?

jaynes123_gw
9 years ago

Im very familiar with buying / selling on ebay but never for something that becomes part of the building of a house.

Whats been your experience buying a well-known brand item that is available from Lowes, HDepot or reputable websites when you bought it instead thru ebay?

Any suggestions, thoughts on why you would or precautions/ concerns why you wouldnt?

This post was edited by Jaynes123 on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 15:11

Comments (7)

• User
    9 years ago

Chinese crap from big box stores isn't improved by being part of a bulk returns package that a reseller buys.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I think it depends on what the item/items are. I have a friend who has a historic home and has done very well with ebay w/o a wild frenzy of internet searching.

In keeping with the mindset of the previous poster, If it's something which is made for bulk purchases(as many foreign items are)consider the item could be a lesser quality than expected. Contact the buyer thru ebay 'channels ' and find out as much as you can. Ask for optional pictures, more details, weight, etc. Nuts and bolts are one thing,but a particuliar item you have your heart set on is an animal of a different color. Caveat emptor.

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was not clear, sorry - I revised my initial post

Im speaking of a known brand item youve already decided on and are comfortable buying ---- same item, brand, model, but from ebay and of course a seller with a decent rating.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

I was lucky to get a brand name faucet (Kohler) from ebay. It was a personal auction, not a 'store'. I saved a few hundred dollars from the special order Lowes price. It was new, in the original box. The seller was selling it because they changed their mind about the finish.

Is this what you mean? Or are you wondering what would happen if this faucet developes a problem?

ML

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is what I mean maddie.

We bought a $170 Pfister faucet from HD, need second one for prep sink and see theyve been selling quite frequently on ebay and around $90-100.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

i would double check to Be sure the model numbers and finish is the same as the one you are considering. And that all parts and hoses are included

Also check out the Pfister website to see what kind of warranty coverage a faucet (without original receipt ) has.

ML

• User
    9 years ago

Most of those type of products for sale come from products that have been returned, and the box is damaged, or there are missing pieces, or there is something wrong with it. Sometimes, the resellers will get 2-3 of the same model product in and cannibalize one of them for parts for the defective product to make it work. It still doesn't come with a warranty, even though it might work at the time of purchase.

You have to be willing to gamble, and lose that gamble. You will win a lot of the time, but there will be products that you will lose also.

Are you willing to take the risk?