Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Can I use these curtains with this rug? Pattern Conflict? or Not?

beekeeperswife
11 years ago

Imagine the curtains pictured below in orange, instead of gray. Like this.

I was waiting for my gray pair, that will go in my master bath, to arrive to see the size of the pattern. They are here now, so I hung them on hangers to get a visual of them in this room. I really want to use orange in the curtains in this room. Can you tell me what you think about the pattern with this rug.

I have taken several photos, moving the curtains around to hopefully give you a good view. The room will have a couple of white chairs with either the pictured turquoise pouf (this one is auditioning) or an orange leather one I have my eye on.

So, take a look and let me know what you think:

outside the room view

Comments (63)

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

It is hard for me to tell, Are your walls off white? whit? I love these, but not sure of the bacground color.

Here is a link that might be useful: orange drapes

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My walls are BM's Gray Owl. (Which is technically an Off-White. (Very soft gray/taupe).

Those orange curtains are quite interesting boopadaboo, but at that price....yikes. I need 7 panels at least. Don't think that's going to get through the budget committee.

Thanks though for the link, it's good to see some other options.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

You know I hate the word "busy." Don't make me say it.

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

I think orange curtains would work in the room, but that pattern, especially with 7 panels is just too busy ( sorry marcolo )with the rug. 'Love your new house.

• DLM2000-GW
    11 years ago

Love the rug. Love the mirrored console. Love the doors/windows and view beyond. Love the ceiling. Love the curtains, too....... but am feeling a bit schizophrenic trying to find a place to rest my eyes and brain with everything worthy of star status. You have exquisite taste and find the most wonderful pieces, I'm sure you can find something for your windows that will be a great supporting character in that gorgeous room.

That said..... please tell me about that tub!!! I LOVE the ledge and have never seen that feature in that type of tub before. I'd design an entire bathroom around it - maybe you did!

• tarhlfan
    11 years ago

Love your rooms! I am in love with your rug and the curtains are too die for!!

• chispa
    11 years ago

Bee is a decor enabler!! Thanks to her I now have to check hautelook.com every morning. I haven't found anything I want to buy yet, but I know it will happen very soon. LOL.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I like the curtains But I did see some white or off white curtains with a bit of orange trim that would also look real nice. I think I saw them on Anthopogie but not sure.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

No. I'm sure a lot of people have said go for it but frankly the answer is no. While the rug appears to have a larger pattern than the curtains it doesn't. When you look at the rug as an overall what you probably see is long sweeping lines but if you look more closely at the detail there is much more detail than the sweeping lines. The detail pattern is the same size as the pattern in the curtains. You can mix large patterns and medium or small but not two patterns of the same size. You need curtains with a small pattern - perhaps a small dot (avoid plaid or check because the same thing will occur) or fine vertical lines.

My 2c.

• massagerocks
    11 years ago

I love orange, and your room is stunning. The curtains are nice, but to my eye, they dont belong in that room. Your rug is such a beautiful focal point. With those curtains, there is too much going on in the room, and beauty of each of your well-chosen furnishings seems diminished.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Sorry beekeeperswife, I should have realized the anthropologie curtains were expensive. I have had my eye on a set that is on there for a long time and can't get myself to pay that much and I only need 4 :)

I don't supposed you might know the brand name of your gorgeous rug? I went on the site you mentioned and since it is one of those specials site they of course didnt have any. Funny I saw butterfly rugs similar to the kind I got for a steal on horchow's website 2 christmas's ago. Now I will be like chispa and checking all the time! :)

• gmp3
    11 years ago

I like it, it looks too stark in the mock ups, but will look great IRL. Amazing rug.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    11 years ago

Oh bee! Your new place is beautiful. Have I missed other posts of the new place? I want to see more!

Like others, I think the pattern is a little to strong. What about something like this? I don't have a link for price or know who makes them (they look expensive!) but I think they are graphic enough for the room without too much pattern. Should be easy to duplicate. What do you think?

• sserra85
    11 years ago

OK, now I am obsessed with that rug. It makes such a great statement in your space. I can only dream to someday have a home as beautiful and put-together as yours.

Because the rug is so whimsical and dramatic at the same time, I do think the pattern of the curtains is a bit much... but that's not what worries me. Another poster mentioned the pouf... I hate to say it, but to me it comes off a bit juvenile.. cookie monster-esque. The orange may work better, but i'm still not convinced about the brightly dyed leather.

Of course I really have no clue about anything in this field really. I am only now trying to carve out a sense of style and get my bearings.

and again, what really caught my eye was that rug. Oh the rug!! Love it!

• anninthedistrict
    11 years ago

I like the curtains with the rug. I think either pouf could work but like the leather better.

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

Who says you can't mix the patterns which are similar sizes? I see it on Houzz all the time. I say yes! That rug is a knockout and the curtains are so fun.

BUT...after looking at the mockup I'm starting to have second thoughts knowing that you are using 7 panels. I think so much orange and all that pattern might overpower the space. If you are going to have curtains on all of the windows, perhaps you might want to consider something softer with an orange accent (like cream silk panels with orange trim?)

Or...perhaps you could just hang the zGallery panels on the window behind the chair and not on the sliding glass door? I noticed the top of the window is higher than the door. Were you planning on hanging all of the panels at the same height?

• whitewave41
    11 years ago

I'm not sure where these are from (it's an old story), but the curtains in the first two pictures are nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange Curtains

• lolauren
    11 years ago

For me, it would be too much pattern.... too overpowering.

• loribee
    11 years ago

In a heartbeat....YES.

• arcy_gw
    11 years ago

I think the orange is a brave choice. I really like the gray as it hangs there. It all depends on the POP you want. The gray makes the carpet the star. The orange will compete mightily for attention. I am not a fan of the pouf craze but the leather is much improved over the shag one IMHO.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh brother. I posted right after Marcolo's post, but somehow cyberspace must have eaten it.

I think I'm not going with it. Reason being....you see that wall of sliders when you come in the front door. And as much as I want to do orange in there, I think it will be a bit distracting to the eye as soon as you walk in. I will not be doing that color scheme in my dining room or study which are on each side of the entryway when you come in the door. I think the "should I use these with this rug" question has morphed (for me) into, "should orange curtains be seen as the first thing when walking in the front door?" The answer in my eye is, (unfortunately) "no".

I think I need to look for some sort of lux looking white curtains.

Thank you all so much for all the ideas and opinions. (now I have to get those gray ones hung asap in the bathroom!)

And I'm sorry, I do not have any info on the rug. I have seen rugs reappear on Hautelook, so sign up and just check back on their sales.

pip-yes, the window and doors are not the same height. How in the world I missed that during the construction process I'll never know. But I did plan on doing some sort of treatment that will even it all out--more smoke & mirrors magic.

The blue pouf is going back today.

Thanks again gang!

Bee

• caminnc
    11 years ago

I think white drapes would be very classy and chic. Your home is looking spectacular darling!

• artydecor
    11 years ago

I just wanted to chime in that I love the drapes and think they'd be great. I love a rich, interesting, busy room!

• tinam61
    11 years ago

I'm sorry - I didn't realize you needed so many panels. That would change my vote I guess - that many panels would probably be too busy looking. Maybe you could do a couple of great orange patterned pillows in the room? I like the suggestion someone else made about curtains with an orange binding/trim/fringe, etc.

tina

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Actually, I think they look fabulous. And I'm the queen of the neutral palette - but I think you have enough light and air in the room to tolerate all that pattern.

The photoshopping makes them look much more prominent and in-your-face than they'd look in real life. The only concern I'd have is that, because it's "a lot of look," you might tire of it.

But for pure impact, I think they're great, and that they help the room stand up to that marvelous rug.

• busybee3
    11 years ago

love the rug... don't love the curtains with it- i think the pattern in the curtains detracts from the rug...

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

I think the curtains will work, but I don't think you'll know for certain until you get the curtains and the chairs in the room. Yes, I think it's a lot of pattern, but your plan to use white chairs should help break the pattern up and could really work well. Then again, I'm no expert. I'm absolutely loving your home so far. The bathroom (and kitchen) is stunning and this room is look fabulous as well.

• natebear zone 10B
    11 years ago

No way. The rug is the star. Find some backup dancers. :)

• jerseygirl_1
    11 years ago

I have the same thoughts as Bronwynsmom. They definitely work but it is a "lot of a look".

My eye sees plainer drapes with a band of color.

The rug is stunning and should be the focal point of the room. I hope you are planning on some type of glass top table so the focal point can be seen from all views.

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

Bee, I know you said you're not going with these curtains, but I was at ZGallerie today and they are on clearance, basically two for the price of one. Just in case anyone else was inspired to jump on the orange curtain train. :)

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

I'm glad you decided not to use them, although I can understand the temptation; your room needs, imo, white or off-white panels . They will be the perfect elegant backdrop to frame your decor.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pip, thanks for the tip. I looked online though, and only the green ones are on sale on their website. Still jealous that you can WALK into one of their stores.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

What about white curtains with a narrow orange border a couple of inches in from the leading edge, and double that distance along the bottom hem? Just enough to add the color somewhere in the vertical plane, but not too much, given the position of the curtains in your whole scheme?

You can easily add a border to stock panels with good grosgrain ribbon.

• katrina_ellen
    11 years ago

Just wanted to say your new house looks beautiful, you are a lucky lady. I love your taste.

• JennaVaNowSC
    11 years ago

Wow! Lovely rooms, you have exquisite taste! Love the rug too, but I have to agree with some of the others, I think the curtains detract from that gorgeous rug. Something, subtle and elegant is needed............

waiting to see your final choice...........

• whitewave41
    11 years ago

Something like this would look a little less busy. I found this online.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Yes, that's like what I had in mind, except I'd like the bottom trim to be higher off the bottom edge. But I am partial to deep hems in drapery panels. I think it helps them hang well

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, that's lovely, thanks for the picture.

And Pip--not only are the orange ones not on sale on the website....they are NOT ON THE WEBSITE....AT ALL!!!! Guess they didn't want me to use them either.

lol

Bee

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

LOL, I guess it wasn't meant to be, Bee! Or maybe this thread caused all the orange ones to fly off the shelves!! ;)

• karinl
    11 years ago

Is there, by any chance, like a brand name on that rug? It is amazing. It looks like Hautelook only sells things for a limited time, so perhaps there is another source?

Karin L

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Whitewave, those are the curtains I had in mind in my above post. Where did you find them?

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Karinl, keep an eye on Joss & Main, MYHABIT and The Foundry as well as Hautelook. I have never bought anything from the Foundry though.
    P.S Whitewave I hope you see my post above. I'm interested in those in a different color for my bedroom.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

karin1, nope, there is nothing. BUT, I have seen sales repeated on Hautelook. This did not sell out when I bought it, so keep an eye out. If I see it again, I'll make sure to post it.

• karinl
    11 years ago

Thanks for all that in the way of options It seems to be talking to me as well :-) and I gather I'm not the only one!

Karin L

• samgminov
    11 years ago

I'm just posting this because I happened to be looking at Joss&Main and I remembered how many people had asked about bee's rug. It appears to be for sale right now in the Loloi sale, it's called the "Francesca Rug."

• ladeeda
    11 years ago

It's also available here
    http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/loloi-fc09/red/176FC09BL-P.html

Loloi Francesca in two colorways

I came across it doing a search so I thought I'd also post this info since so many liked the rug, including me ;)

• User
    11 years ago

Love the orange pattern curtains with that rug--- they are perfect! I hope you use them--- they remind me of a combination Sarah Richardson would come up with.

• citywoman2012
    11 years ago

I think the orange draperies with the rug would knock you into the next room. Lol, just me.

I like the white trimmed in orange and they would be so much easier to work with if you wanted to change colors,off with the orange, on with the blue or whatever.

You have very expensive and exquisite taste beek.
    I think those are wonderfuuuuuuuuul attributes lol.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Darn, I was hoping to see what the final curtain selection was. I love this room! :)

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hah boopadaboo! wndows are still bare!