Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baylorbear

First decorating post - please help with ideas for window

baylorbear
11 years ago

We had to do an unplanned bathroom remodel, and I need help with deciding what to do about this window. We've been in our house for eight years, and we've never had any kind of valance/window treatment on this window - it's just looked unfinished for years!

I think that shutters would look best, but I haven't priced them yet. Now that we have a big shower and the glass, it's very echo-y in the bathroom. We have 2 rugs and the towels, but that's it as far as sound-absorbing material.

Please share your suggestions and thanks for the help! :-)

Comments (9)

• pianolady007
    11 years ago

How about bamboo blinds? Not sure what lengths they come in, but they might complement your brown floor.

• avesmor
    11 years ago

Seeing your light colors and the soft glow, what about a filtering honeycomb shade? Maybe in a milky cream color. They diffuse the light, but don't block it (you can get blocking ones, but not needed for a bathroom). They give privacy (I've had them in bathrooms and always test from the outside!) You can keep them lowered and still get light, or raise them when not in use and they compress to almost nothing.

Something similar to this:

I just ordered/installed window treatments for most of my house. I was sort of set on shutters for a long time, until I managed to find a demo shutter and bring it home, and saw how much of the window view was blocked by the shutter frame. That was a deal breaker for me. I ended up going with 2.5" slat blinds and am happy I did. Just a note on the shutters. On a window that thin I think you'll lose a lot of light.

If there's anything on the outside of that window that can see you, you'll want to make sure you get lined bamboo shades, if you go that route.

• avesmor
    11 years ago

Alternately you could use an obfuscating film and leave the window otherwise bare.

I'm not much of a fan of valances, esp. on skinny tall windows. Always makes me think of an eraser on top of a pencil. :)

{{!gwi}}

Just as a few examples.

• baylorbear
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the ideas! The window is frosted glass, so privacy is not a big issue. I think what bothers me the most, is that the window doesn't have any trim around it, other than the window sill. It just looks unfinished to me.

I love the look of the trimmed out windows in the pics from avesmor - that's why I started thinking about shutters.

I will look into the blinds and shades suggested so far! Thanks again!

• vickij
    11 years ago

I once had a home that had no wooden framing around the windows. I framed the openings with wood (think picture frame around the window), painted the framing white, then painted the dry wall around the inside of the wood frame white. It was amazing! It looked like the entire inside was wood when it was all painted white. I hope I explained this well enough. I think you would be pleased with the results.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

If you want to change the sound level, you will need fabric. How about an asymmetrical treatment that is drawn to the right side?

What I had in mind would be half of this treatment, but I liked it so much I wanted to post it...

[Traditional Powder Room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-powder-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_713~s_2107) by Minneapolis Interior Designer Twist Interior Design

• baylorbear
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Vicki and Annie! I like both of those ideas! That powder room is really pretty!

I don't know if I have enough room to do the asymmetrical treatment though. The space that the toilet is in is about 28 inches wide, and the toilet sticks out pretty close to the window. I think it might be a tight fit to have a curtain there. The double towel rack on the half wall is only about 3 inches from the window wall, so I don't think an asymmetrical curtain would work if I pulled it to the left.

At this point, I'm leaning towards finding a wooden cornice to put at the top of the window so we can't see the top of the blinds. I might try Vicki's idea too! I love the look of the trim/casings around windows!

I found an online tutorial about how to make your own sound-proofing canvas art, so I might try something like that and hang it above the toilet. I don't have any decorations in there yet.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! :-)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Shutters arent going to add any softness to the room though.
    Maybe just go with sheers gathered on a rod....and don't do anything with it.

Someone recently used sheers with smocked tops that was really lovely and different. And this way you wouldn't have to worry about it hanging too close to anything as it would just cover the window. And I love the filtered light you get from sheers.

• SheetalN
    11 years ago

Hi Baylorbear,

I wouldn't rule out shutters. They are a great value add for any home. Also, it's a great convenience in bathrooms where privacy is so important - and also, since you don't have semi transparent windows. Shutters will look clean and fresh with your bathroom paint colour which is really nice by the way. The link is to a picture with a similar bathroom window size/shape as yours with shutters.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Bathroom window with shutters[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/wetmore-traditional-bathroom-atlanta-phvw-vp~454934)