Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_in_wisconsin

Recliner Quandary - Is it possible to please DH in style?

jan_in_wisconsin
10 years ago

I have posted recently about moving beyond our microfiber living room sofa and purchasing new furniture - finally, after over a decade.

The good news is that I found a comfortable mid-range priced, casual sofa, sofa chair, and accent chair, all of which I love. However, my DH really wants a SWIVEL recliner, preferably leather for easier maintenance.

The problem with the recliner is the swivel requirement. The swivel recliners I have seen are all bulky and quite unattractive.

He did find one that is more petite than most, which helps, a leather swivel recliner by Lane (Belmont):

But . . . I'm not loving it, though I'm trying to be flexible and compromising, etc. I can't help but think it's just going to seem so out of place.

I would prefer a recliner that is more discrete, like this one (Chloe by Lane):

It doesn't swivel, obviously, but it could be angled more toward the TV so that the swivel wouldn't be such an issue.

Also, DH is picky about how high the recliner leg support lifts. He wants it to lift plenty high, and some recliners only lift slightly.

Oh brother!

Help! We had planned to order tomorrow, but I am having such second thoughts about the recliner; wondering if maybe there might be another better option.

I am going to show DH the Chloe recliner tonight and see if he would be alright with it if it were angled.

So, what do you think? Is it possible to please DH in style??? Any other recommendations or ideas?

Comments (42)

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I think the Lane one is not bad at all compared to the super overstuffed ones I see.

We would have liked a more modern recliner, but I really hated to deny DH his recliner based on aesthetics. Plus, the old one we have *is* really comfortable. I just bought a Surefit slipcover for it, and it looks fine.

• bestyears
    10 years ago

I think I've made most of my decorating mistakes by trying to disguise something.... in the end, it still looks like what it is, and nobody is really happy.

What would you think about something like the attached? There's no hiding what it is, but to me it is very modern and cool looking -not the least bit ugly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swivel Recliner

• chispa
    10 years ago

Much prefer the one bestyears posted. The first one just doesn't fit into any decor ...

My father has an ekornes (I think that is the brand) with a separate foot stool in their den/office.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

It doesn't swivel, but....
    my husband (and friends who have sat in them) LOVE our Stickley Morris chairs.
    Recliners with style! And it reclines WAY back, raising the legs quite high, just like your DH wants.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Jan, are you planning on ordering a recliner without having your husband sit in it for comfort? When you said he 'found one', I didn't know if you meant online or a local store.

From long ago experience with my father, recliners are VERY different from one another, and really should be tried out by the 'sitter' before buying.

Pardon my worry if you're having him sit in them for 'fit' before buying!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Could you agree on an Eames look-alike? link below.
    In my area, you can even buy vintage Eames-style chairs on CL.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Eames style

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I 2nd idea that you really need to have your dh sit in the recliner before buying it.

We had a lane recliner for many years. It was queen anne style and no one could even tell it was a recliner. It got tons of abuse and lasted about 15 years.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Agreed, we don't buy any chair, sofa, stool, bench, etc without being able to try it out.

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

My husband wanted the ekornes recliner (and we got one) for our family room. To me, it is not attractive- I just look at it and think "car seat". I will admit that it is extremely comfortable and well made! I should say it's not attractive in my setting- it would be in the right one.

My style is traditional, and I would much rather have either of the two you pictured, especially the second one.

So, as far as recliners go, those two are pretty good compared to many others!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, thanks for the fast replies!

Yes, DH sat in the Lane (Belmont) recliner he likes. He hasn't sat in the Lane (Chloe), but the store has one he can try. So . . . the comfort has met his approval.

Our style is more traditional/French Country, but relaxed, so I don't think the contemporary/modern styles would work too well in our space.

gsciencechick - You're right that the Belmont one DH chose is more petite than many. We're small people, so the overstuffed ones are really extra large for us anyway. I didn't know you could get slip covers for recliners . . . hmm.

bestyears - I do like the fact that the recliner you posted is more reasonable in size than many. I think the style might be too contemporary, though.

LuAnn - I have to check out the chair type you posted.

my3dogs - No worries! DH insists on sitting in the chair before buying. He is pretty particular.

nosoccermom - That chair looks very comfortable! I'm not sure the style would work though.

debrak - Glad to hear that your Lane lasted so long! That's great to know!

chispa - Yes, DH insists on trying out any recliner before purchase.

nancybee - If somebody could make a really stylish swivel recliner, they'd be set for life. I have looked all over, and it's hard to find something stylish, or at least my idea of stylish. Around here, you can even find green and yellow Green Bay Packers recliners (cheese not included) - yikes!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

On the bright side, at least DH didn't want this one:

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Here is the slipcover, in the category of "it is what it is", but actually this one works really well. It is a Surefit one-piece stretch suede, and it stays in place. The fabric underneath is a blue tweed. This recliner is actually a Sears brand, LOL. It is so old I didn't realize they had furniture lines.

• fluffybutt
    10 years ago

I really don't think the first one is that bad at all. I guess for me what would make the difference is how it will fit into the floor plan and with the rest of the furniture.

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

I think I remember your LR when you were getting new drapes. Aren't you the one with the nice big fireplace? If I am remembering your room correctly, hubby's first choice will look great in there - of course to us gals, the Chloe is a little nicer :) The Belmont sure looks comfortable. We are actually looking at a Smith Brothers recliner that is very similar.

I used to think I hated our big old Lazy Boy recliner, but find that I use it more than DH does now. Sure sleeps good :).

• mpwdmom
    10 years ago

I actually like the Belmont best of all. I hope he loves it b/c life is too short to have an uncomfortable chair.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Here are several that are swivel recliners and get good reviews. Nate Berkus always said Targer furniture was well make, I don't know personally.

Here is a link that might be useful: chairs

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Here is an excellent recliner chair, I've got four Shermags at my lake house and they ergonomically perfect for total comfort and back support. I didn't know they came in leather, I may be buying one soon. Right now they're on sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shermag chair

• loribee
    10 years ago

We have had 2 leather Chloe's for about 6 years and honestly, they are wonderful.
    My husband is thrilled and our 2 sons fight over them when they visit. Good luck! :)

• geokid
    10 years ago

Here are a lot of different options.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swivel Recliner

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Have you looked at the Hancock and Moore recliners? I guess the swivel feature is what makes the chair a "problem."
    Another good option is Costco.

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

I really like the chloe! Especially having seen it in your lovely room, loribee.
    I have printed out a picture of it from their website and taped it to the Ekornes recliner we have, as a "hint" (well, more than a hint) to my DH. :)

• Gooster
    10 years ago

It may be too late but Bradington young has some nice swivel recliners. They do tend to be pricier than lane.

Here is a link that might be useful: Barcelo

• erinsean
    10 years ago

We have a Lane swivel leather recliner that my SS loves. It leans back and you can either keep your feet on the floor or the foot rest comes out to put your feet on. Looks exactly like the first one you pictured (only in navy blue). We also have a Lazy boy, leather recliner that rocks and reclines with the foot rest coming out...no keeping your feet on the floor when reclining. We have no complaints about the wear on our chairs.....have had them over 6 years. My regret is that we did not look at wall-away chairs. They recline and swivel but do not rock. Much easier to place in your room. Mine have to be in a corner.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

loribee - Thanks so much for showing me a pic of the Chloes in your beautiful room! They look fantastic! DH sat in the Chloe at the store today, and while it is very comfortable, he wishes the back were slightly higher to support his big head. :o) Your room inspires me. We have almost the same color tones and everything. Thank you!

geokid - Thanks for the link. It helps with more options.

nosoccermom - I have not looked at Hancock and Moore, but I'm leaning in the direction of willingness to pay more for a better looking/better lasting piece. I know DH will love it and want it for a good long time.

nancybee - Good luck with your DH! :0)

gooster - I LOVE that chair! Oh my gosh! That is something I can live with, for sure! I'm sure it is pricier (maybe much so) than than the Lane, but . . . it may be just the thing! Thanks again! I am seriously looking at that one.

grandma - Sounds like the recliners work well for you, and great thoughts about the wall-away types.

• Happyladi
    10 years ago

We had swivel Lane recliners and hated them. They "walked" so that we were always having to move them back into place. Plus the edge walking into the table next to them marred the edge of the table.

We tried putting a gripper mat under them but it didn't help. We have recliners now and they don't swivel and I like them much better. Has your husband actually had a swivel recliner?

• sis2two
    10 years ago

We have the Hancock and Moore Journey recliner. I love the way it looks and my DH loves that it's comfortable!

• lizbeth-gardener
    10 years ago

Another Hancock and Moore owner/lover here. I just spent last night in our Austin tilt back chair with ottoman. We have had it at least 15 years and it still looks and feels great. The tilt back comes in a regular or high back, but they also have the true recliners.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anyone know how it might be possible to try out the Bradington Young Barcelo if it is not on the floor in the store? I really like that one, but I am not sure it is on the floor.

Happiladi, I am not keen on a swivel for all the reasons you mentioned, but DH finds swivels to be "more comfortable" than stationary types. :(

I am in the process of looking into Hancock and Moore as well.

• lizbeth-gardener
    10 years ago

I would ask the store owner to locate the nearest one. If they can't, the Bradington Young company should be able to do the same.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lizbeth , thanks. So you're saying that either the store that carries the brand but not the specific model on their floor or the B & Y company can tell me where to find that model in a store to try out, correct?

• lizbeth-gardener
    10 years ago

I've never looked for one, but that's how I would start. If your local store can't/won't help, call the B & Y company.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Just came back form Costco, where they had two types of leather swivel recliners for 399.00. They were quite comfortable. They are not available on their web site. One looked more like the big wider model, the other smaller, kind of like this but in brown leather

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nosoccermom - That's a great option. It has what DH wants and looks okay too. We don't have a Costco in my area - yet. But it's an option to travel within a reasonable radius. I'll check it out.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Next time I'll go (couple of days), I'll take pictures. You can also look on their web site -- although they are more expensive there. However, I think they offer free shipping.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

OK, went to Costco. Here are the two recliners; each for 399.00. Note: They are not leather on the back and sides.

{{!gwi}}

Also, a link below for second one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Easton swivel recliner

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nosoccermom, thanks for the pivtures! We are still considering options. How thoughtful of you to do this!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, I think of everything I have seen, I really like the Bradington Young Barcelo recliner, linked in the post by gooster:

It has the coveted swivel feature that DH wants, it comes in a gorgeous variety of leathers, and it doesn't have that typical recliner pillow-back look, which I like!

The saga continues, though . . . because I can't find it on the floor in any store.

I have found local stores that carry the B-Y brand, however, none have this particular model in stock for DH to try out. DH insists on trying out the chair, and I don't blame him. Especially given the expense of a chair like this, we would hope it could be viewed in person someplace.

It doesn't help that we live in rural Wisconsin, I'm sure.

So I called the B-Y company, left a message and am awaiting a call back. Hopefully, we can see this chair before purchasing. We are willing to travel, within reason, to see it.

So close, and yet so far!

• Gooster
    10 years ago

I too was looking at "non pillow back" recliners at one time (non swivel, though). The B-Y site has a pretty good dealer locator for a 100 mile radius of your town. If you don't get a response, you might try calling around.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

Here are a couple that I found on the Macy's website.
    Also, La Z Boy has some nice ones, and I was told that they could add the swivel feature to quite a few models.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gooster - thanks, I did find a dealer just over an hour away (based on the B-Y website directory you mentioned) that has a Barcelo on the floor, so I'm very glad about that. Looking forward to trying it out!

terriks - Thanks, I like those better than most!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I really like the Bradington you posted. It looks like a good compromise between the comfort for your husband and looks for you :) Hope you'll like it when you try it out/look at it.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County