Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrissiemw

Shoe baskets for the front door...show me yours!

chrissiemw
15 years ago

Hey all,

I was just reading another thread and several of you mentioned a shoe basket. Where did you find yours and how large/how many pairs of shoes does it hold?

We are a family of 6 and while we are not militant shoe removers, we all seem to store our frequently worn shoes by the front door out of convenience.

It's a DISASTER! I tried a shoe rack but because we have so many pairs there, it just doesn't stay tidy and people wind up tripping over them.

I'd love to find a solution to this. I considered a wicker hamper with a lid but then figured it was too tall and my little one would wind up dumping it to get to the bottom.

I'm not interested in storing them up in the bedrooms, we've tried that on more than one occasion and it didn't last very long...I guess we are just too lazy :)

I'm ideally looking for something low and wide that looks somewhat decorative (maybe with a lid?).

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

I bought a large lined wicker laundry basket from Michaels on their 50% off sale. It fits probably about 15 pairs of adult shoes. When it gets full we just take the basket around to the bedrooms, drop off the shoes in their respective closets and start over.

I don't have a picture of it in place, but it looks like the large basket in the back row, center from this picture.

• greenthumbfish
    15 years ago

"militant shoe removers"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My mom uses one like this (it's mostly for the kids when they run around the 9 acre property near the pond or get into "stuff" down at the barn). We aren't militant shoe removers either, LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Boot tray

• Lisa Hayes
    15 years ago

Remove our shoes--HaHaHa! Ours all end up laying everywhere. We are all guilty. They usually end up in the kitchen or in fornt of the sofa in the familyroom. I'm too lazy to take upstairs everynight, so I just plop in this basket. I empty when it starts overflowing, which as you can see it now!

• gayle0000
    15 years ago

Here's mine. We wear our shoes inside. Our shoe spot is mainly to keep DD's shoes contained, and to give her a sense of discipline and order in where she keeps things since she is only 2 and obsessed wtih her various flip flops right now. That was the sole purpose for our shoe spot.

Summertime, it's only DD and my flip flops...not my everyday shoes or tennis shoes. I keep all my shoes in my bedroom.

I got mine at Meijer for about $20. The tag called it a "newspaper basket".

{{!gwi}}
    Gayle

• budge1
    15 years ago

Also don't have a pic but we use seagrass baskets with lids. One for each member of the family. I just chuck the shoes in and close the lid. They are lined up nicely in our front foyer. I keep thinking one day I will build a nice little built in unit to put them on, but in the meantime this works.

• dgmarie
    15 years ago

no basket, just a plain, raised lip plastic black boot tray in the mudroom. I don't like the look of jumbled shoes in a basket and this way it accomodates dirty or wet, snowy shoes nicely. I got the boot tray at Home Depot for like $6.

• california_dreamer
    15 years ago

I saw a neat 'hall bench' at costco today that would be a good solution to this problem. It was a cushioned bench with 4 small drawers and 4 medium sized baskets underneath. It would be perfect for sitting down and taking shoes off or putting them on. I'm trying to decide if it would work in my space.

I couldn't find the exact one, but the link shows something similar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bench with baskets