Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_wa

Soapstone Countertop - Seam at middle of sink OK?

kathy_wa
14 years ago

Hi - my fabricator doesn't want to put the seam on my soapstone countertop through the middle of my undermount sink because of strength/reliability/failure issues.

Instead, he wants to run it full length thru the middle of the countertop about 16" to the left of the sink where it will be highly visible to anyone walking in.

Any opinions out there? Are seams thru the middle of a sink in soapstone really that failure-prone?

Comments (11)

• kathy_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Berone. Another fabricator that quoted my project was actually going to do it that way - two seams at the sink at the left and the right. My current guy said that is called a "Dutchman" and is even worse than 1 seam in the middle, and that his way is basically better (no seams at all at the sink) because it is stronger.

He is very nice and knowledgable, but I know that everyone has a pet peeve and I am wondering if the sink seam is his....

If I were doing it myself, the Dutchman sounds like it would sure make it an easier install.

• portland_renovation
    14 years ago

I have one seam in the middle with an incredibly heavy cast iron sink. Seems to be fine.

• prill
    14 years ago

I have a seam on each side as berone says. I don't think I have a picture on this computer that would show it. I'll try to post one later.

• cotehele
    14 years ago

Mine has one seam off-center behind the 30'' sink.

• kathy_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks guys - keep 'em coming! Need all the reinforcment I can get for DH and fabricator :)

• lauriec
    14 years ago

i have a sink with seam in the middle, heavy cast iron sink, i too had asked for a single piece but the size of the run was too long to do it safely. I was worried but it looks fine. see

• kathy_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LaurieC, that's beautiful! Looks like you went for a Quarter Round profile? And thanks for the sink info :)

Any more soapstone sink seams out there?

• lauriec
    14 years ago

its called a franklin edge by Bucks County soapstone - hand done, feels likes it been there for ages and ages - great feeling under your hands... just slightly irregular..

• prill
    14 years ago

This shows both of mine. I hadn't really considered where they would put the seams when they came to install - so I was surprised by this. I don't oil my soapstone, so they haven't faded away as quickly as they might if I oiled and the soapstone was turning black more quickly. I don't really notice them anymore.

• kathy_wa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Prill! I like the way they matched up the white veining on your seam. Interestingly enough, I am going to try to get away with not oiling my soapstone either.

Lauriec - thanks for the edge info. Hadn't heard of that one before.

OK, I had a conversation with the fabricator's coordinator gal late yesterday afternoon. I had let them know several people on this Kitchen Forum had Soapstone counters with sink seams and it seemed to be a standard practice. She told me SHE would want the seam in the sink too lol! And that it isn't a problem for them to do it. So that's where I'm going to get my seam :)

Thanks again everyone!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!