Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snagd_gw

Exterior brick what do? I really could use some thoughts..

snagd
9 years ago

We have done an enormous amount of work to our 1913 home that was left in quite a state 3 years ago. I am really torn however,as to what to do with the porches. You cannot tell from the pictures but the balconies are near collapse and must be addressed. I have had numerous masons inform me that because of all the weight and the fact they are on wood supports,that they are not a good idea and not worth redoing.While part of me absolutely hates the idea of changing the original structure, the other part says invest in something smarter and potentially just as beautiful looking. We still have tons of tuckpointing etc. and that is very costly. I am looking for a( or a few) fresh perspective on this,as I am near beside myself trying to decide!! Thanks so much!

Comments (10)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

What a wonderful home! What a huge project!

I'd suggest cross posting on the "building a home" forum as there are good architects who hang out there and will have some suggestions for you.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 20:48

• teacats
    9 years ago

Have them re-done and made safe -- and take the opportunity to move the current position of the front stairs to create a graceful entry ....

• User
    9 years ago

I love the porches! Removing them would throw your house into no man's land, stylistically. I'd shore them up and keep on tuck pointing.

• jmc01
    9 years ago

As another old home owner with a brick porch that needed structural work, I would NEVER rely on a mason for structural advice.

Call a structural engineer and learn what would be needed to do repairs properly, with a goal of keeping the porches. 5 Helical anchors worked for us and once they were in, removing, cleaning and relaying the brick was our solution, plus new decking scraping/painting the wood trim.

You are in zone 5, as am I, where frost line questions come into play. Regrading parts of your yard might also be required.

Your home will look very odd without the porches. You posted on this a couple of years ago, didn't you?

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

I remember this house, too. Please don't remove the porches - for all the reasons mentioned above. They make the house. Listen to jmc01 - good advice.

• snagd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My concern is the balconies not the porches,I would never remove them alltogether. Do you have brick balconies jmc01?

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Ditto to jmc's advice. Call a structural engineer. Remember, contractors of any sort always have an ulterior motive... ("hire me!" "hire me!")

But seriously. Fight to keep those porches. They are wonderful.

• awm03
    9 years ago

Yes, definitely a structural engineer or an architect with engineering experience.

Beautiful house. Did you choose the gray/beige color for the gable? It's very nice with your pretty brick.

• Fori
    9 years ago

That style porch isn't uncommon (in some places and times) so there must be a ay to save them. Have you asked the people at the Old House forum? It would be sad to lose those balconies!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/oldhouse/

• jmc01
    9 years ago

We have had 2 brick homes with structural problems. 1905 and 1919. Our current home has a flat roof addition. So, yes, an open area 12 ft above the ground.

I live old homes. I would consult a structural engineer - not a mason yet, not a contractor. We learned our options from him. Knowledge is power. My advice today is pretty much what it was when you posted before. Your balconies and lower porches are part of the same structure...one that looks like it is sloping downhill on the left, just like 2012's picture.

And, yes, I know what structural work costs. But in my experience, it's the best alternative.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snagd's 2012 post

This post was edited by jmc01 on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 20:00