Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikkia2112

Need window treatment advice please (pics)!

nikkia2112
13 years ago

Hi everyone! My youngest son's new "big boy" room has a western/cowboy theme to it, and I can't decide on window coverings. I have decided on these cowboy panels to flank the windows (see below), but I need some sort of shade for privacy and some sort of light control. It doesn't need to be pitch dark.

We are moving this weekend, and yes I have procrastinated and need something I can pick up quick. I looked at JC Penney's today and they had some nice espresso colored cordless cellular shades, bamboo shades, and a nice pleated red roman shade, which is lined with thermal/black out lining. Of course I couldn't make a decision and left with nothing. UGH!! Here is a pic of his room and the windows in question. I've included a link showing the curtains. I would love to hear suggestions and would greatly appreciate it.

Big boy's room (SW Blonde)

Cowboy panels

Only using the coverlet out of this set...this is all a little to matchy for my taste, so I'm making my own shams and bedskirt.

Comments (7)

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

When I think of cowboy, I think of suede and fringe and leather and of course, denim. I like the red roman shade. Maybe you can add some leather trim. Or, how about a denim roman shade or a faux suede fabric.
    What color/fabrics are the shams and bedskirt?

• nikkia2112
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love the idea of the denim shade, but I don't want to go overboard. I didn't mention it in my OP, but I am recovering his reading chair in a denim fabric and his headboard is also upholstered with denim. Do you think a denim shade is too much?

As for the bed skirt, I am still searching for just the right fabric. I haven't decided just yet. For pillows, I am going to mix up burlap, denim, and a cute cow print.

Thanks for the ideas!!

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

Yes, denim shade would be waaay too much denim. Like the burlap. What about a shade with that texture? And. if not the red, then a warm brown.

• nikkia2112
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advice!! I think I going to look for something textured for sure.

• cherigw
    13 years ago

A couple years ago, the Designer's Showhouse had burlap curtains in a little boy's bedroom with a western theme. Perhaps a roller shade with trims and a western themed pull??

• blondepegasus
    13 years ago

Here's my son's new window treatments...got the espresso shades on sale at Lowes for $19.99! Might give you an idea what yours would look like layered like this.

• les917
    13 years ago

Charming! I would think woven woods or darker bamboo blinds would be great, to pick up on the brown tones and fences in the fabric. The only thing about any of those is that you canÂt really control the amount of light - they are either covering the window or pulled up.

So I would look for the wood (or faux wood) blinds that give you light and air control, and still connect with the brown tones and fencing.

PenneyÂs is a great place, because they always have coupons and sales, even on the made-to-measure. DonÂt hurry and settle for something - you can always put up temporary paper blinds to help block the light if you canÂt get ready-made blinds.

Lucky little boy!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert