Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kidshop

Need 60 inch square kitchen table, regular height

kidshop
15 years ago

I do not have a dining room, so I need a table that seats 8. I have determined the size I need is a 60X60 square. It needs to be real wood and sturdy. I would like to get the table and 8 eight plain wood chairs (no fabric) for around $2000. There is nothing in the b&m stores around me. Does anyone have any ideas where I could find this or if it is even possible? I see tons of pub height tables, or ones that aren't real wood and these cost a fortune! I'm getting discouraged. I am not set on the finish yet. My new cabinets will be medium maple, and one possiblity is a wood top that matches the maple color with black on the bottom.. Thanks for any help!

Comments (11)

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Check Ebay. There are several custom furniture makers that have the most incredible tables I have ever seen!! The link below....he makes bird's eye and tiger maple tables. I plan to get one when I get my house done. He can make any size you want.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hand made table

• oruboris
    15 years ago

A cheap alternative: buy a table with a base you like, and have the top replaced with the right size. If you are moderately handy, you can do this yourself.

• Jon1270
    15 years ago

It might be difficult because 60" is an awkward dimension for a home dining table -- people on the other side of it can seem awfully far away, and dishes have to be passed around the outside because your arms aren't long enough to pass across. I recently built an extension table (designed by an architect for her client) that was 44" wide, and even at that width it felt best when extended for large groups than it did at it's shortened everyday size. You might want to mock up a table with some OSB set on trash cans or sawhorses so you can be sure you'll actually like this before you jump through too many hoops trying to get it.

• Jon1270
    15 years ago

I mean 'its everyday size.'

• jdechris
    15 years ago

Pottery barn has a few different 60" square tables.

• kidshop
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the ideas! I will definitely do a mock up. Does anyone have a 54" square table? Those are easy to find, but I am worried seating 8 will be too crowded. This is our only table and there are 5 in our family. My current table is a 60X40 something oval, and there is only room for 6 chairs. I do like my base, so I would consider finding someone to make me a top.

• makeitsew
    15 years ago

You might try Dania. They have some that easily change size without having to store extra leaves.

• joyce_6333
    15 years ago

We tried in vain to find a dining room table that was 48" wide, and would extend to 11+ feet long. Finally ended up having it custom made of quarter sawn oak by Shell Lake Furniture in Shell Lake, WI. And it was less expensive than "store bought". The table is absolutely exquisite, and extremely heavy. You may be able to find someone in your area to make a table to your specs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shell Lake Furniture

• amck2
    15 years ago

When I moved to this home six years ago, we bought a dining room table that opens to a 54" square. I liked the idea of a square table because I thought it would make for easier dinner conversation, compared to a long rectangular table. I also thought it would make for more egalitarian seating at holiday meals(no issues about who gets seated at the "head" of the table...)

I regret to say that it really is crowded when 8 people are dining. You lose room at the corners. For instance, you can't put down 8 standard size placemats for breakfast or lunch and not have them overlapping at the corners. It's also harder to find tablecloths that fit properly. I usually end up having to cut and hem longer rectangular ones.

I love the look of my set. It's all wood with sturdy matching fan back chairs and I have a coordinating sideboard. We keep it at the 36" x 54" size for everyday, which gives us plenty of room for 4 people.

Bottom line - the 54" square is fine for serving 6 people, but a real squeeze with 8.

• galelyn48_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Still looking for a 60X60 square dining table in while or light wood....Please send info