Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
distantsun

Color to go with Quiet Moments?

distantsun
10 years ago

I am 99% sure I am doing my Dining Room in BM Quiet Moments which is a color I love, looks good with the pieces already in the room, and works well with the calm, airy feel I am looking for in my small vacation house. The trouble is that I am stumped with a color for the Living Room which opens up into it.

Here is the info on the LR:

It has windows on three sides and gets a ton of light.

It has pieces which are cream/oatmeal with a brown undertone, gray-blue-green, soft sagey green, hunter green, and dark wood (all of this was inherited so I didn't have a lot of choice in the matter). I was thinking of a neutral, as I think a pale green or blue would be too much, and as I said, I want the paint colors to be light and airy.

I thought at first of a gray-green to bring it all together and have looked at a lot of "the lightest green on the card" (including Healing Aloe on the same card as Quiet Moments) but they all looked like mint or seafoam, which I loathe. So I am leaning towards a neutral beige and letting some decor bring it all together.

So the big question is, what color should I paint the LR? I could do it also in Quiet Moments but I think it may be too much, both to have essentially the whole first floor be one color and to have so much monochromatic blue-green in the LR.

So if not more QM, what neutral beige to paint it? I want to keep it light, but too light and the cream sofa will disappear into it. Also, the color really needs to flow with the Dining Room. I liked the sample of SW Ramie that I got, but am unsure how it would look with Quiet Moments.

The only beigey neutral that BM recommends to coordinate with QM is Muslin, and I think it's kind of dull (I may be going neutral, but I really don't want white or a shade of white).

Or should I try a completely different color?

I am seriously color-challenged so thanks so much for any advice!

Comments (17)

• caminnc
    10 years ago

If you are looking for a calm, airy feel in your small vacation home then I suggest you paint it all the same color. It will make for a much better flow and be more peaceful than chopping it all up with yet another color.

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

I also love QM. I have an L-shaped LR/DR and the entire area is Quiet Moments. And then....I painted the foyer, the kitchen, the hallway and my master bedroom Quietly :).

Seriously, I second the suggestion to just paint the entire area with QM.. This gray-green-blue actually works as a neutral, believe it or not. There is something so calming and soothing about this color! I had mine mixed at 50% intensity because I wanted to keep the feel somewhat light and bright. Having a consistent color unifies my spaces, it looks great and I still love the way it looks. Have not gotten bored with it, still frequently look around and smile because it is so pretty.

• distantsun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Two opinions that agree, thanks!

I think you are right that in a small home, doing one color works well. I only worry that Quiet Moments is the wrong color for the LR and that with my current furniture (green, green-blue), it will look too monochromatic. So I'm hesitant.

• distantsun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi nosoccermom, thanks for responding but as I said in my original post, Muslin seemed dull to me (I am trying to stay away from white and off-white) and Healing Aloe was too minty looking. I appreciate the response, though!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Quiet Moments is a lovely color, but I'm not sure I would consider it a 'light' color.

I'm a big proponent of painting 18"x18" masonite sample boards so I can check the color in the room before proceeding.

{{!gwi}}

• distantsun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's not the lightest color out there for sure but still reads pretty light in my space (I have painted it on poster board and hung it on all four walls).

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Oops, sorry, didn't read carefully enough :(
    I tried Healing Aloe in my FR, and it didn't look minty at all. Have you tried samples on the walls? Have you looked at SW Accessible Beige?

• pps7
    10 years ago

BM Manchester tan or grant beige.

If you can post pics that would help!

• distantsun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No worries, nosoccermom! Just glad for the help. I think it may be the amount of light I get; everything just looks like a paler version of itself. I did try it up on posterboard

I have not tried Accessible Beige but will give it a look, thanks!

Pps7, I'm not at the house right now so can't, but hopefully in the future. I will look at both of those, thanks!

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    10 years ago

I'm a big fan of SW Believable Buff.

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

Back again to repeat that I had Quiet Moments mixed at 50% intensity to get that light/bright feeling and it worked very well. I have plenty of large windows throughout my home, so if one's house is darker this might not work as well. However the half-blood prince paint approach has had great results for me.

I go to a fantastic Ace store at which the paint guy is a genius. He actually custom mixed a QM veryveryvery light intensity blend and I did the ceilings with that. Oh so gorgeous, especially with nice crisp white trim work.

Ann

• distantsun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions! I hope to get over to the BM store tomorrow and bring home some cards and samples.

• donna_messer1
    5 years ago

I am using quiet moments in my dining room. Do you think mascarpone will be good for the rest of my very open home? I have white woodwork and light oak floors.

• Lil S
    5 years ago

Have you looked at Revere Pewter? I have it in my house next to Quiet Moments. I would only recommend in it a well lit area, which you say you have.

• eastautumn
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I love the entire strip that starts with BM Healing Aloe. We have Healing Aloe in our living room, and it doesn't look minty to me at all. I also don't care for greens that enter minty territory, but in our light Healing Aloe reads as a pale, soothing blue-green that works well with our wood furniture and trim. My husband's office (down the hall from the LR) is painted Quiet Moments and it looks so pretty and cozy with the wood.

Our hallway and open areas are painted BM Swiss Coffee, which is a neutral that also works well with wood trim and furniture. You may not like it because it's definitely an off-white, but it meets the "light and airy" requirement and I love it next to Quiet Moments, shades of green, wood, and the the other natural colors you describe in your space. I think any of the other colors on the strip that includes Swiss Coffee would also go beautifully with Quiet Moments (Halo, Ashwood, Hazy Skies) if you are looking for a little more contrast with your cream sofa.

I'm planning to paint our dining room (directly across the hall from the Quiet Moments) with Halo when I get around to that project. You might want to grab a sample of Halo, or any of the other colors on that BM strip, to see if you like it with the other elements in your space. Gook luck!

• HU-2650832
    8 months ago

November Rain