Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiki9871_gw

HELP!!! Island legs look wrong - granite install Monday 8AM

kiki9871
14 years ago

Help! I just noticed that I think the legs on my island are installed wrong. Well, I am not sure if they are 'wrong', but different than what I thought. This island has been the total focal point of my kitchen and I feel sick. I don't know what to do. I thought that the legs would sit on the outside of the wooden pieces that connect them. In all the pictures I look at that is how they are. My island legs are inside of them - the wood pieces surround these beautiful legs.

The granite installers are coming at 8AM Monday AM and I don't know if there is time to fix this before they come. My contractor left yesterday - kinda showed me the island but we were focused on the floor so I didn't notice it then. He won't be back until Monday AM. The granite people will charge me $150 if they show up and we are not ready to install. What can be done? Is there some way that the legs can be taken off and the wood be cut to abutt the legs? Am I being too picky? Is this not a big deal?

Thanks so much

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (18)

• footballmom
    14 years ago

I think we need a more complete picture. The legs cut off before floor level.....

• ebse
    14 years ago

Well, first off I think your island is lovely. Second, pretty much anything can be fixed, its just a question of what you are willing to pay and how long you are willing to wait. I can't really picture how they would go outside though? Don't you need the legs to support the island top?

I do not think you are being picky! This is a huge investment of your hard earned money, and you should be happy! If it were me, I'd pay the 150 and have the contractor come back and fix it.

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

I think she means that the skirt pieces would abut the legs square tops, rather than overlap it... is that right?

have you called your contractor on his cell???

How badly is this going to bug you?

Were you clear with the builder, were there clear plans, drawings, etc? If there were, I think you should call him on his cell and ask him to fix it. If not.... ?????

How handy are you? If it were me, I might try to take it apart and put it togther myself, but only IF it were going to bug me a lot.

Good luck-let us know...

• momto4kids
    14 years ago

How far does your countertop overhang the legs? If you have quite a bit of overhang, you won't notice the skirt pieces as much. If you don't have much overhang, then yes, I see what you're saying.

If I thought it was something that would bug me down the line, I'd go ahead and fix it. Perhaps the contractor can be working on them while the granite folks are installing other pieces???

• morton5
    14 years ago

What kind of overhang are you having? Maybe the granite template was not designed for the legs to be outside the skirt. In which case, I doubt things can be changed now.

It does not look weird to me at all, but I can't say I've studied other islands as you have. In fact, if the granite is overhanging the skirt by just 3/4", it is how I would want it to look.

• steff_1
    14 years ago

You were expecting a mortise and tenon type of joinery on the legs. What you got is not nearly as nice and looks a bit amateurish. You would need to check your order or contract. If the legs were not ordered that way, the installer would likely need to take them to a shop to have them properly prepared.

Can you have the granite installers work on other parts of the kitchen until this is worked out or cancel the appointment?

• michellemarie
    14 years ago

Can you please post one of your pics that show the island legs the way you envisioned them?
    Also, if this makes you sick, you are going to have to put the granite install off. Obviously, you have an idea in your mind how the island is supposed to look. A hundred people on this forum can tell you that the way the legs are installed now looks fine, but you won't be fine with it. If you have to talk yourself into liking something, it isn't worth it. It may cost some $$$ to remedy this install, but that's what happens in remodels. You save some here, you spend some more there. Good Luck. We have all felt the way you do about something in our kitchen renovation journey.

• kiki9871
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your input. I know that it looks ok and most people would not notice that the skirt pieces do not would abut the legs square tops, rather overlap it. I have called the contractor on his cell telling him to call me back regarding a problem with the island that needs to be fixed prior to 8 AM monday. I haven't heard back from him. The schematics that I have and the discussions that we have had were about the skirt pieces abutting the legs. That being said, we have off put the granite install 4 times and hubby says no more. He thinks maybe we can do a temp fix before the granite and then more perm one after? I kinda want to fix it myself right now, but then I have no recourse and it is a custom made island. I am hoping that the contractor can fix it on Monday and have the granite guys work on other stuff.

Worse case - maybe we keep it? Does anyone think it looks weird? It did take me a day to notice...

• Fori
    14 years ago

Worse case? It's really not bad. Not even weird.

Hope you can get it the way you want, but if you didn't tell me it wasn't what you'd expected, I'd be asking "what the heck is wrong with it!?".

• barb5
    14 years ago

Is this more like how you imagined it would be?

{{!gwi}}

• katiee511
    14 years ago

I agree with morton5 - how was it templated? Which brings up another question...HOW did they template the island if it wasn't completly built? Are they legs just decorative and the top was already there?

I know my GC was rushing us to template even though our sink cabinet wasn't pulled forward yet for the bump out. We refused and accepted the delay so that the template could be done only after all cabinets were in their intended place. The GC said it would be no big difference since it was only being pulled straight forward. The fabricator refused to 'guess' at the template before cutting the stone.

Your GC and fabricator need to give you the details on the stone and exactly where each part needs to be to fit correctly AND as you expect. Good Luck!

• ludy-2009
    14 years ago

Call the granite people and leave a message. They will get it before they load on Monday. Postpone the granite people until you are certain and satisfied. Worst case, it will cost you a week, but it will be worth it.

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

Can you post a photo of the drawings for the kitchen that show the legs?

• jan_jan
    14 years ago

Maybe I'm weird but I think it looks fine. I would never notice in a million years and might not even pick it that way if I had a choice. If it is giong to bother you then make them fix it and wait on granite.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

I wondering why the carpenter couldnt just re-cut the apron to abut the legs. It should not compromise the integrity of the island. Your floor looks yummy BTW... Travertine?

• steff_1
    14 years ago

The legs do not look okay, especially if it is not what you ordered. The standard installation is for the top block on the legs to make up the corner. Clearly the installer did not follow the drawing and you should not accept it. See link below.

If there is a problem with the granite installer, the contractor should deal with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Island leg install details

• tullerbruc
    14 years ago

I just now found this thread and I hope everything has worked out for you ok. I've designed and built 100's of islands with 100% satisfied customers. The photo of your island is a bad design as far as the legs are concerned. The legs are one of the focal points of an island and putting them behind a valance makes the integrity of the leg look terrible, Some advice for all of you. Never use a GC to have anything to do with your kitchen but build the room. I've yet to meet a GC that was a kitchen designer and most of the ones I know want to go the cheapest route with "their" cabinet maker to make more profits off you. I work with GC's and they know to send the customer to me and leave the cabinetry and tops up to the client and myself. Be it noted that I still have to pay them a "finder's fee" for sending their client to me.
    It seems to me there was some not good communication between all parties involved which there can be to many parties involved in a kitchen design and the build of the kitchen.
    If possible please give us another photo of what your end results were and I think we all hope you got what you wanted.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"I wondering why the carpenter couldnt just re-cut the apron to abut the legs. It should not compromise the integrity of the island."

The leg-apron joint presently is probably a diagonal wood or metal plate and a fastener with a lag screw into the leg and a nut attaching to the diagonal under the island.

The same method could be used if the aprons are shortened and the diagonal plate moved.

What was ordered is going to decide who pays.