Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ratherbesewing

upholstery class-need project ideas/advice

12 years ago

I have committed to an upholstery class at a local community college which begins in about a month.I am an avid home dec sewer and have slipcovered many items. The class is once/week and I must bring a project of my choice to and from class. Can anyone give me an idea of what would be a good starter project? I am thinking of an occasional chair of some sort. I want to challenge myself (ie: learn something) and it needs to be manageable to move on a weekly basis (I drive a 4 door sedan).The phamphet from the community college isn't very informative, but it does say to bring a project to the first class. I would love some advice from the upholsterers out in cyberspace.

Comments (6)

• 12 years ago

Do you have a small chair with arms and a back?
    Most will bring foot stools I think, but that's too easy.
    None the less, you'll still pick up a lot of good tips.

Also, as long as your taking a class, start with the hard stuff, I mean buy fabric that needs to be matched.
    Usually I tell people to stay away from stripes and patterns for their first project, but if your taking a class, start with the matching fabrics.

If you can make slipcovers, you'll love upholstering.
    I think it's easier.

• 12 years ago

I have a sweet french chair that I'd like to volunteer to you! :O)

• 12 years ago

You can do my channel back chair! I would love to learn to upholster and refinish furniture.

• 12 years ago

Oh my gosh. Let me know how you like the class. Just the other day I called a local woman who has an upholstering shop and asked for lessons! She said she and her daughter charge $20 an hour for jobs, so she would consider lessons for that much too. But- she's still considering, didn't give me a yes or no answer yet.

I'd be interested in knowing how much you learn from the college course, maybe I will look into that. All I want to know how to do is pull up the broken down springs so I can sit on the pieces again.

• 12 years ago

I'd contact the school and try to get in touch with someone who could give me more information on how far I'd be carrying that chair. That would be the deciding factor for me. The parking lots and driveways at our local CC are a good distance from the entrances to any of the buildings.

• 12 years ago

Think about a folding flat cart to haul the piece. They have them at HD/Lowes that are stepstools which change to the flat cart. And an electric stapler. ACE brand has worked the best for me. It will be interesting what tools the class suggests. Keep us updated.

I agree with starting on something which will give you options to take advantage of the class. If you already make slipcovers, this class will be a breeze for you. You know the details required for sewing, upholstery is actually easier. Taking the old fabric off is the worst part.

Have fun. Would love to be there. And don't forget to check back in with us.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES