Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjam08

Coffee table surprise....and an unusual CL transaction

jjam
11 years ago

OK, for those following my coffee table saga. I posted about one saw on CL a couple of days ago. Did some measuring and concluded that it is probably more suited as an end table; too small for my space. So I shrugged it off and searched CL again yesterday and found another; this time for $10!!! I pounced immediately, heard nothing, then decided to give it another try, and offered $50. A few hours later, heard from the seller who said she had so many offers for her table it was overwhelming her inbox. She decided to take me up on the $50 offer, and here it is:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Of course, I still have my other one that is very unique. (I took a little more care with the lighting on the day I took this photo, and I've moved my "granny" chair to DD's bedroom.)

{{!gwi}}

I could use either of them. At the price I paid for the table I got yesterday, I could live with storing it or re-selling it. WDYT?

PS: I know it sounds crazy to pay more than the asking price on CL, but I honestly felt better about doing it especially after I met the couple. I told them I honestly thought the price they were asking was too low and that $50 was fair. They couldn't stop saying thank you; the woman said it was her parent's table so she had no idea about its value. I really felt better about the purchase, even if I decide not to use it!

Comments (20)

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Wow! What a gorgeous room! I love both tables, and it would be difficult for me to decide if they were mine ... but I think the more traditional one complements your room best.

May I also just say that it was so kind of you to pay more. I know you wanted the table and that probably compelled you to offer $50 initially - but after meeting the sellers, it sounds as though you truly felt that this all worked out for the best. That's a wonderful feeling, isn't it? :-)

• annzgw
    11 years ago

That was a great idea to offer more......since it's definitely worth what you paid.

IMO it's much better suited to your space than the other table. As you said, the first one is unique but your room needs a table with more base to it. The original table would look great in a garden room!

• cherigw
    11 years ago

if you within a day's drive from Oklahoma City, I'd be more than delighted to take it off your hands. . .for a price of course!!

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I like your new table very much.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

The room is gorgeous! I have to agree, either table looks fantastic, although the first one looks more formal, the second adds a bit of whimsy. Great prices, too! ;o)

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Can you have a smaller glass top made for your wonderful gnarled tree, and use it elsewhere?

Your room really is lovely. May I ask the source for your curtains?

• User
    11 years ago

I just want to say what a lovely and inviting home you have. I had to go back and look several times as there are so many features that are a delight to the eye. You certainly have wonderful decorating sense and lovely pieces.

Have you ever posted pics of your other rooms ? How old is your home ? If you would post more I would love to look :) Also what length are the drapes in your LR ? Are they hung above the molding ? I am thinking of getting some drapes and am interested in ways to hang them w/o hiding my wide old moldings. TIA , c

• natebear zone 10B
    11 years ago

Oh, I adore your space! You've done yellow proud. :) The new table is a perfect "modern" touch. Not that you asked, but I prefer your granny chair.

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

I remember your house. there is a grand piano either in the corner in that room or in the one across the hall.And the room was lovely to begin with!

• jjam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all for your responses.

Sunny, Right now I agree that somehow the new table just sort of belongs there. I also feel good that I got a good price, and a fair price. They were a very nice young couple and could use the money. I love CL when everyone walks away happy.

Annz, Funny you should mention a garden room. Right now I have the base of my "tree" table in storage, and I'm tempted to add a sunroom on to the house just so it can have a proper home! I agree, that would be a great spot. I'm going to keep it and wait; the right place will come along, either in this house or another.

Cheri, Sorry, I think it's a keeper:) I have had this type of table in mind for awhile and have seen a few on CL. They're out there; just search "glass coffee table" to save time

Fun2B, Patty, Thanks!

Brownwynsmom, I have had the same thought of getting a smaller top for my other base and using it as an end table. That is probably more likely than having a sunroom added on to the house just to create a space for it! But thanks for the reminder; I'll have to keep looking. Curtains are Beacon Hill fabric from Fabric Guru. I do love them, thank you.

trailrunner, thank you for your kind words. Believe me, this forum has seen plenty of photos of my home over the years, and I'm so thankful I found GW. I'll try to post some more later tonight or tomorrow. Whatever design sense I may have, most of it was learned right here, by taking and posting photos. Most of the time, once I see the photo, I can usually answer my own question, but having several pairs of eyes look at the same time is so valuable. My home was built in 1981 so it's not terribly old or interesting architecturally, so the furnishings and color choices are really important. I have enjoyed your posts over the years, too!

Natebear, Thanks, and interesting that you prefer the Granny chair. It seems kind of dark and heavy, kind of a downer for the room to me. But who knows, I may miss it and bring it back downstairs in the future.

Cooper, Wow, you have a good memory! A few years ago several of you helped me with where to place my piano in this room. The current placement is one of the best decorating decisions ever, and if I remember correctly, Les was the one who first suggested it :)

• happyintexas
    11 years ago

I do think the new table is lovely in your room. I, however, am coveting your tree table. Just my style. :0)

I love your curtains, too. Would love to know where you found them or if you had them custom made. They might just work in the room I'm about to start on.

Your room looks pretty and comfortable.

• jjam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

happy, thanks, I love both tables. I know the tree table will settle somewhere. I'll never part with it, but it's just "on hiatus" for now.

The fabric for my drapes is a silk/linen blend from Beacon Hill, and I found it at Fabric Guru. The linen gives the fabric some stiffness which I like. I had them made with flannel interlining and used 1 1/2 widths for each panel. I learned that spending more for good fabric is worth it with those drapes!

• User
    11 years ago

Ah...now I remember....I clicked on your pic and saw the pictures in your album. It really documents well the process you used to decide on art work. The thing that sets your home apart are the little details. The scarf on the piano and the throw in just the right place and the varied art work. All of it is balanced and just lovely. Your home comes across as being much older. It is very graceful .

I think a glass room/conservatory/orangerie would be a wonderful addition. A room for your tree base:) Go for it and please post pics ! c

• natebear zone 10B
    11 years ago

Maybe I misunderstood which chair you were referring to. I prefer the cane back chair. I don't know if that's what you were calling a granny chair.

• jjam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Natebear, I had a post a few months ago about my LR and somehow the term "granny chair" stuck. I like both chairs but also think the cane back chair looks better next to the desk. Thanks for your comments :)

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

I love the new look! It's fresh and the granny chair wasn't working for me in the room. Too heavy for such a traditionally classic room. I am in love with your drapes. I think the new table is perfect for the feel of the room. Great find!

• jjam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gr8day, I think you said it well. The Granny chair was always kind of a downer, too heavy, too black. It looks much better in DD's bedroom; which is essentially a guest bedroom. I have it pulled up to an old desk that it painted green, and it fits in much better in her semi-shabby chic bedroom. Thanks for your kind words; I do love those drapes too; never get tired of looking at them!

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

It looks perfect! Very nice room, pretty and comfortable.

• mary_ruth
    11 years ago

Love your table. I have seen a few around here on CL for over $200 (and more, with more distance to drive to get it!) So, at the offer you made... you got a DEAL.
    So hard to find a coffee table that is more high end looking.
    GREAT FIND!
    from me 'still searching' for mine!

• chardie
    11 years ago

As my grandfather would say after a kind deed: "You will be rewarded."

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida