Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdsso

wood look plank tiles

rdsso
12 years ago

I would like to replace the tile in my kitchen. Thought about wood and love the look of wood but really want tile. So, I found these wood look tiles. Anyone used them and if so can I see pics? How hard is the install?

http://www.southcypress.com/Flooring/Tesoro-Collection-SandalWood

Comments (18)

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

I don't have any pictures to share, though I'm sure you could find some using Google Image Search, but I think the wood look ceramic tiles would be perfect for a kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a live link for you.

• User
    12 years ago

I saw them installed at a new JCP in our area, GORGEOUS! If I had the need for it, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

• les917
    12 years ago

BIL did it in his front entry. It is nice, but not as nice as what you linked. It does look like wood at first glance. Seems like a great solution if you want tile.

• louisianalover
    12 years ago

I have seen a whole house done with tiles that looked exactly like handscraped hardwood floors. I actually had to bend down to feel the floor to realize it was actually tile. The owner of the house told me that you have to make sure you find an installer who will work the tile because the grout line has to be a lot thinner to resemble a wood floor and not a tiled floor. I say go for it!

• forhgtv
    12 years ago

I have a friend whose main floor is covered in them. I don't have pictures, but she loves them because they are easy to clean as she has dogs and kids. Just as Louisianalover says, though, you need to find an installer who knows how to lay tile with the smallest grout line possible. Also, I would recommend using one of the medium shades in the tile as the grout to enhance the appearance of wood. Personally, I would go to the trouble of having a sample made up with my proposed grout to ensure that I like the way it looks.

• rdsso
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I ordered some samples of a couple of colors. Four tiles of each I think that will give me enough to play with. I like the idea of making up samples to test the grout color and also to see how close to have it laid so it looks like wood floors.

• robin_DC
    12 years ago

My mother had the wood-plank look tiles installed in her guest bathroom and laundry room a few years ago. They're beautiful. They're darker than most wood finishes, so they don't look like imitation wood. More wood-inspired tile.

• Samantha111
    12 years ago

I'm wondering what type of flooring you have in the other rooms. I've been considering a wood tile too but would have real wood flooring running up next to it. I'd even love to tile the whole downstairs with something like that but, again, the upstairs would be real wood.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

Tile that size are going to require more skill than say, a typical 12 inch square tile. Because of their length, sometimes they do not lay flat and have a slight bow in the middle. I know that the pros at the John Bridge Tile Forum usually recommend that when you install them in a staggered pattern that the ends of one tile don't end up in the middle of the long side of a tile, where the bowing would be more prominent. If this will be a DIY project I suggest that you aquatint yourself with the John Bridge Forum. If you are hiring it done, make sure that your tile installer is experienced with this type of tile.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Terriks is right. We were going to do the front part of our house with wood tiles until we decided to get real wood. But we didn't use the wood in the kitchen, wood shouldn't be around water sources where it can flood.

But if your floor is slightly slanted, then you need an expert installer of this particular tile.

I think it would look great in kitchens. I should have thought about it myself!

• itltrot
    12 years ago

We plan to use them in our hallway. We are using interceramic brand. I think colonial or woodland is the name. We used real wood in the kitchen but I didn't know these tiles existed.

• chickadee2_gw
    12 years ago

I'm using Castelvetro Misingi Suber in my studio. It's grey and looks like pickled wood. I tried to cut and paste a link but it's not working on any of the sites I've tried tonight. Castelvetro is the brand of tile and Suber is the color.

• rdsso
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Samantha11 the rest of our house has carpet so this will replace all tile we have in our house so I don't have an issue with hardwood vs wood tile. This will go in the kitchen, utility, down the hall and into a bath at the end of a hall and a bath in the master. However, we may hold off on the bath for awhile but purchase enough to do it. We are thinking about a small addition which will include work to both bathrooms. We probably will purchase enough tile to do both so we don't have an issue with not matching tile when you have to reorder. Terriks thank you for the link to John Bridges tile form will take in to consideration hiring it done. My son and a friend do a lot of tile work but this my be something they my not be able to do if they have not done it before.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

I have wood like tiles in my family room. I had them installed over 15 years ago, and it looks like they have come a long way in the way these look now. I still love mine, but I don't anyone is fooled into thinking that they are wood. They just look good. This room is off the garage and we enter through it often. This was the best solution, and most people do comment on how nice they still look.

• chickadee2_gw
    12 years ago

Beekeeperswife used wood grain tile in her latest bathroom redo. Did you see it? They installed it themselves and did a great job.
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg0112425411584.html

Bee was also kind enough to provide the link to another post on the forum where there was a discussion about laying the longer tiles. Here's the quick link for that. It's pretty far down the posts in Bee's bathroom topic.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg0112425411584.html

My builder, who is laying my tile which is 5 x 32", has never put down this kind of tile before. He's just following the directions that came with the tile and hasn't had any problems with bowed tiles. It looks to me like the 32" tile is put down and then the adjoining tile on the side begins about 6 or 8" from the end of the first. It looks less than 33% down the length of the first tile. Maybe not all tile brands have the bowing problem. I have no idea. I did warn him that that might be a problem. He started yesterday but had to quit early because of the hurricane so the job's not finished.

• musicteacher
    12 years ago

A local flooring store had a large display of these tiles in a pattern: The wood "plank" tiles surrounded or framed travertine looking tiles. It had an old world feel and I thought it looked beautiful.

• rdsso
    Original Author
    12 years ago

chickadee2 thanks for the links. Please post pics when your project is done. I can't wait to see. I have done a lot of reading on the net this weekend and am not sure this is a DIY project. I am hoping to find someone in our area that has laid these before and if we do DIY can give us tips or maybe do the job for us. We are not looking at a huge job around 350 square feet.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

It looks to me like the 32" tile is put down and then the adjoining tile on the side begins about 6 or 8" from the end of the first. It looks less than 33% down the length of the first tile.

That's exactly how they should be laid. The important thing is that the staggered joint does not land in the middle of the long edge of the tile.