Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikkia2112

Please help me dress these windows!!

nikkia2112
13 years ago

We've recently moved and I am not sure what to do with these windows. I would like some privacy and light control when needed, but I plan to leave them open as much as possible. I don't have any plans to cover the top two windows.

For the bottom windows, I would like to hang dark bamboo shades and flank them with white panels for a simple look. As you can see from the photo, there are two corner windows to the left of the fireplace. To the right is a window and a door that leads to the deck. That door is throwing everything off for me. It is used fairly often, so what ever I do there must not impeded traffic.

Any ideas?? I am stumped. Thanks!!

Comments (8)

• larke
    13 years ago

Have you considered the mini-mini blinds that fit between the panes and are operated either by a remote or sliders right on the frames?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Larke, wouldn't that involve having to put in all new windows? I have never heard of after-factory blind installation between panes. I doubt that wold be an option.

Nikkia, I like the bamboo blind idea. You can also get bottom up shades that look really nice and clean. White/ivory/cream drapery panels would be lovely, too, but I am not sure how they would work unless you don't mind asymmetry due to the door.

• bobtheblindguy
    13 years ago

HI nikkia
    I see your dilema with the panels. I kept looking at your pic thinking how you could work panels in and keep a balance. My suggesting is don't use panels, just go with the bamboo shades. Have one installed on the door with hold down brackets so it won't bounce around as much when the door is opened and shut.

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

Nikkia, I worked on a room similar to yours. (I did the dec. painting and a designer did the decorating). I obviously took this photo before the panels were up. She put floor-length drapes on all the bottom windows -- you can see the rods and rings. And for the windows that flank the f.p. the left one had no finial at the wall. Uppers stayed as they are.
    I can look for more pics, if you want.

• nikkia2112
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I was afraid the answer would be no on the panels. I was thinking that *maybe* I could get away with putting a panels on the outside of each of the corners, but that would mean you'd have to move it out of the way to get in and out of the door. Not very practical.

With such high ceilings I was really trying to bring some warmth and coziness to the room. Oh well...I'm sure there are other ways to accomplish this. I'd really like the change the fireplace to a stacked stone, but that's down on the list.

Do you think the dark bamboo shade is a good choice or should I do maybe a white or cream roman shade, or even pattern of some sort?

Thanks again!

• mclarke
    13 years ago

Keep in mind that standard bamboo shades offer no privacy at night. Turn on the lights and anyone outside your house can see right in.

Ask me how I know this... : )

• bobtheblindguy
    13 years ago

Hi mclarke
    Very true, and some customers find out the hard way. But you think if they had a sales rep to there house, that would be pointed out. I had a customer who the rep failed to mention this. So all her shades had to be removed and liner had to be attached. With the liner you get total privacy at night.

• natal
    13 years ago

Back in the early 80s we hung Kirsch woven woods in the master bedroom. They provide complete privacy without the need for a liner. Don't know if something like that is even available now.

Have you considered wood blinds or plantation shutters?