Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nmtinx

Replacing outlet with GFCI outlet

nmtinx
10 years ago

Dear all,

I tried to replace a 20-year old outlet with GFCI outlet under my kitchen sink. The outlet used for the disposal and dishwasher. After I took the old one out and I found there 3 wires - red, orange and white. For the other outlet, usually it only comes with red and white for the line wires. I just wonder what is the orange wire used for? where should I hook into in my GFCI outlet? should I hook that up as a load wire? but how come that only come with 1 white not 2 white wires?

Thanks.

Comments (9)

• joefixit2
    10 years ago

The receptacle is split wired for a dishwasher and a disposal, a GFCI receptacle won't work there. Why do you want a GFCI there anyway?

• nmtinx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your reply. I replace it since it is my rental unit My town has a new regulation for rental unit. Any outlet within 6 feet of kitchen sink needs to replaced by GFCI outlet. Since the outlet is right under the sink so I have to replace it with GFCI. I just wonder how can I fix that if GFCI receptacle won't work there?

Thanks again

• greg_2010
    10 years ago

Any work on a rental unit must be done by a licensed professional.

That said, are you sure that it's ALL receptacles? Or just general-use countertop receptacles?

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

What you're looking at is two circuits on the same receptacle. One for the DW, one for the GD. This can be done with a single receptacle by breaking off a tab that is normally between the two screw terminals, missing in this photo.

• pittsbfan200
    9 years ago

I just had the same setup. What I would do is put a wire nut on the red or orange, whichever one is switched. Then I would install the GFCI receptacle. Then I purchased the following from garbage disposal switch from amazon - http://www.amazon.com/InSinkErator-STS-SO-Single-Outlet-Buttons/dp/B001DELK2Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399472279&sr=8-1&keywords=garbage+disposal+switch

It did require me to put a hole in my sink since I did not have any extras.... It works great... You could then remove the switch - put a wire nut on the end and tape it good. then put a blank in there.

You could always replace the breaker with a GFCI breaker.

• human321
    9 years ago

Not sure I follow this post completely. As has been stated you have two circuits sharing a common neutral on a duplex receptacle. I do not believe this is required of GFCI as it always has something plugged in it and
    it is below sink. I hope you have both circuits off as you are working on this as those that do not understand splitting of a receptacle is very dangerous.

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

There is nothing in the US codes that cover "things always plugged in." If it is in a place that requires a GFCI and it is a 15A or 20A 120V receptacle it needs a GFCI. However, as far as the national codes go, under the sink, is not one of the places requiring a GFCI.

• joefixit2
    9 years ago

"as far as the national codes go, under the sink, is not one of the places requiring a GFCI"

Actually it is for 2014. See 210.8 (D)

This post was edited by joefixit2 on Tue, May 27, 14 at 22:00

• User
    9 years ago

210.8(D) is for dishwashers. Garbage disposals are picked up by the removal of the phrase "located in areas other than kitchens" from 210.8(A)(7). Most under the sink receptacles are within the "6ft from edge of sink" requirement and now require GFCI protection.