Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwb1999_gw

Anyone want to help accessorize my mantel? :) (pics!)

kwb1999
13 years ago

Hi, wonderful decorating gurus!

I am decorating-challenged and would love some help accesorising our newly renovated fireplace mantel. I found this artwork for a good price and liked it, but I am worried that it doesn't go with our rug, which is more traditional and has more green in it--no orange. What are the "rules" for combining artwork and rugs? Could I get away with combining these too or are their colors and styles too different?

Also, what would you put with the artwork (either this one or something else)? I just threw some of the stuff I had up there to get a sense of scale. I know the lantern/owl/silver candlestick motif is weird, but I do dig the owls! Oh, and I'd like to keep the drapes and tan couches we have. Everything else (the side tables, etc.) is on its way out--soon, hopefully!

Anyway, I would welcome any guidance! The colors of the room are basically shades of blue and tan. I was hoping to bring in a little of the sage green that's in the rug, but I do kind of like the way the blue and orange in the artwork looks with the mantel.

Thanks so much for your help, and hope you all are having a good day!

Kate

P.S. I don't know how to put pics in the message body, so here is a URL that has pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43382855@N08/sets/72157624580069685

Comments (19)

• User
    13 years ago

Here's your photos kwb. I just copy and pasted the HTML codes I found by clicking on the "share this" pull down above your photos and then choosing the "grab HTML code".

Personally I love what you've done. The only thing I'd change is to bring in the candle holders a bit. They seem a bit off my themselves where they are now. Do that and you're "there" in my book. Love the painting, the owls and lanterns. You did good. Love the fireplace remake too.
    May I ask where you found the owls? I would love so for my MCM inspired Ladies' Parlor.

• artlover13060
    13 years ago

I love the painting, but it seems a tad large for the space. I like the items you've placed with it and agree with "just" about bringing the candles in a little. The colors in the painting seem to go well with the walls and draperies, so I'm sure it looks good with the rug also. I wouldn't worry about repeating every color in the rug in the painting. You can always pull green somewhere else in the room.

• kwb1999
    Original Author
    13 years ago

justgotabeme, thank you so much--for the comments and for the help with my photos! I really appreciate it!

I just got the owls at HomeGoods. They had them in their Halloween section in a bunch of colors: white, yellow, green, orange, brown. They come in a smaller size, too! The best part is that the biggest ones were like $10, and the smaller ones, even less. Hope you can find them!!!

Kate

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Do you mind playing around with the arrangement? Move the picture to the left, so that the left side of the picture is where the RIGHT side of the white owl is now. Next, play around with the three brown lanterns and two silver candlesticks all to the right. Lose the owls. Post the results. (Don't mean to sound like a drill instructor.)

• kwb1999
    Original Author
    13 years ago

graywings, no worries! I love the suggestions, and a drill instructor is just what I need!!! Yeah, I figured the nautical picture and lanterns with the owls was a bit of a stretch; I will find them a new home!

artlover, thanks so much for the comments. I'm still not sure about the scale either. Our mantel is HUGE for our room (it had to be, as we had a bunch of old brick facing to cover), so I was trying to put something dramatic up there to take a little focus away from the size of the mantel.

Thanks again for all of your insights! I will follow graywings' instructions and post the results!

• User
    13 years ago

Hi. I like the picture although it is pretty large. The water appearing WET echos the wet shiny texture of your drapes, plus the color.

And the lanterns are appropriate as well. Like you said, I'd lose the owls in that spot, maybe elsewhere in the room. But right there, make the painting the feature. Then if you want to beef up the candlesticks, find a couple of hurricane globes to slip over them. It will add a sparkle and bring out the silvery look that goes with the painting.

Your mantle has a great deal of substance and I like what you did with it.

• greatgollymolly
    13 years ago

I love the artwork, but also find it out of scale for that spot.

• prairiefox
    13 years ago

May I ask where you got the painting? Love the owls.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Hmm, I think its the silver candlesticks that are out of place. If you had a third style of candle (or 17th) you could do all candles but right now they seem to delicate.

I would try all the lanterns together on one side and the two owls on the other. They are quirky, I like them, and I like things that don't necessarily fit a theme.

The painting is a bit large but better too large than too small (unless it is intentionally tiny, spectacular, and original, but thats another thread).

• kwb1999
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the input, palimpsest, prairiefox, greatgollymolly,and moccasinlanding! The painting is also from Homegoods, the only place that seems to fit my budget! :) I, too, keep going back and forth on the scale of the painting. It might be hard to tell from the picture, but the mantel is really big and deep--probably too much so for the size of the room--so I was trying to find something that would make it look less massive. I love the idea of hurricane globes. I was toying with the idea of getting some of those big glass hurricanes and seeing what I could do with those.
    I'm having trouble uploading my pics, but I will post them as soon as I can. One takes into account graywings' suggestions, one taking palimpsest's, and one incoporating a few random knick-knacks I found in the house. (Maybe the Asian fisherman statue is a bit too literal! :) )

Thanks again for the input!!! You all are soooo much more helpful than my husband! :)

kate

• kwb1999
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Photos...

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I like this last version a lot, but I would remove the small thing on the right side in front of the lantern.

• calirose
    13 years ago

What graywings said, the last version looks great.

• silkvelvet
    13 years ago

I'd take the corners off the painting, lose everything but the lanterns and add driftwood and/or shells.

• kgibbins
    13 years ago

I like your original version. Looks good.

• elle3
    13 years ago

I love the last version:)

• teacats
    13 years ago

A vote for the last version.

BUT remove the silver candlesticks and the tiny object and the green bowl.

Hang the artwork. Add white pillar candles to the lanterns.

THEN check to see if the white owl might work somewhere on the mantel or even sitting on the hearth.

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

A pretty picture! Love the colors. I would add a tall glass vase with a few tall flowering branches on one side of the picture and group the lanterns on the other side.The reason for the taller element is because right now I am seeing pretty much everything on the mantel having the same height more or less. The tall branches will help stagger that. If you can, play around with placing one of the lanterns on a small stack of books. Not many, maybe two or three to add some height if the branches need some balance. It doesn't have to match the branches in height, just so there is not a huge differewnce. Your eye will know. The owls can probably be included as another height element somewhere near the vase to add some weight to that side since the vase/glass reads as empty. Maybe add some glass marbles in the bottom of the vase to anchor the branches and add some sparkle. Have fun! I've linked to some pictures of mantels. Take a look and see what you like. You could copy most looks!

Here is a link that might be useful: mantels

• fillagirl
    13 years ago

there are a lot of squares and rectangles going on in the fireplace, you might consider adding a round mirror or something with a different shape than square or rectangle above the mantle to soften the lines....